Time to go “small”

When we are short guards, and the guards we have aren't even good enough to make ISU's rotation (Bohannon is the only guard who would even get minutes on that team) and we try to beat them with those guys?

I don't get it. The only advantage we have over other teams is our length, and we decide we aren't even going to use it? Instead we trot out Brady freaking Ellingson for 30 minutes while he shoots 3-11 (1-6 from 3)? I mean seriously the only reason we were even close to those guys is because they are pretty bad themselves.

We went 11-36 from 3, that is NOT good. We turned the ball over 18 times, 8 by our guards, that isn't good either.

Our guards aren't up to snuff at all compared to other teams guards. Ellingson 3-11, Moss 2-8, that isn't good guard play. We tried to match ISU 3 guards with our 4 guards and we got smoked by them.

Their 3 guards vs our 4 guards
Outscored us 51-36
out assisted us 12-7
out shot us 18-41 (44%) to 14-36 (39%)
So you don’t want more minutes for Nunge at the 4/5? Fran was terrible with the substitutions in the 2H. I personally liked what I saw with the downsized lineup, especially in the 1H.

If you would like to go back to more minutes for Garza, Kriener, and Wagner, be my guest.

When we are short guards, and the guards we have aren't even good enough to make ISU's rotation (Bohannon is the only guard who would even get minutes on that team) and we try to beat them with those guys?

I don't get it. The only advantage we have over other teams is our length, and we decide we aren't even going to use it? Instead we trot out Brady freaking Ellingson for 30 minutes while he shoots 3-11 (1-6 from 3)? I mean seriously the only reason we were even close to those guys is because they are pretty bad themselves.
This is about playing Nunge in a better spot at the 4 and Cook at the 5 offensively where he should be better, although he had an off night tonight.

Playing all those bigs is not a good idea. Now we just have to find the right guards and wings to get minutes and right now that is looking like Dailey, Baer, and JBo. Sprinkle in the others for spot minutes.

So you don’t want more minutes for Nunge at the 4/5? Fran was terrible with the substitutions in the 2H. I personally liked what I saw with the downsized lineup, especially in the 1H.

If you would like to go back to more minutes for Garza, Kriener, and Wagner, be my guest.

I totally agree that Nunge would ideally be a 4. Yet when we got a HUGE black hole at the SG and Wing spot, I say put Nunge there and take your chances. I'd rather see more of Nunge, Cook, and Pemsl over Brady freaking Ellingson playing 30 minutes.

We had 20 offensive rebounds. Nunge, Dailey, and Baer have length, but they also have footspeed to attempt to play defense.

Do you like what you’ve seen from Garza, Wagner, and Kriener ?

I totally agree that Nunge would ideally be a 4. Yet when we got a HUGE black hole at the SG and Wing spot, I say put Nunge there and take your chances. I'd rather see more of Nunge, Cook, and Pemsl over Brady freaking Ellingson playing 30 minutes.
Okay. Ya I’m okay with less Ellingson. I’d like more Dailey, Baer (he needs to find his rhythm), and Moss (hopefully he can come around).

This is about playing Nunge in a better spot at the 4 and Cook at the 5 offensively where he should be better, although he had an off night tonight.

Playing all those bigs is not a good idea. Now we just have to find the right guards and wings to get minutes and right now that is looking like Dailey, Baer, and JBo. Sprinkle in the others for spot minutes.

Who is a better player Nunge or Ellingson? I'd rather find minutes for the better player, and less minutes for the worse player.

I think you just play Baer and Nunge at the 3 90% of the time now. We just can't afford to give so many minutes to Ellingson/Daily and Moss and take away minutes from Nunge and Baer.

We had 20 offensive rebounds. Nunge, Dailey, and Baer have length, but they also have footspeed to attempt to play defense.

Do you like what you’ve seen from Garza, Wagner, and Kriener ?

Where have I said play Garza, Wagner or Kriener? Less of them, or phase them out completely really. All I am saying is play Baer and Nunge more than Ellingson for God's sake, they are way better than him.

Gotta agree with Nikehawk here. Turns out our palethara of bigs aren't very good. We only have 3 that should be playing right now. I would rather have Dailey than Garza right now and it's not even close. I would rather have Ellingson too. He shot bad tonight, but he got shots and that's what we need.

Who is a better player Nunge or Ellingson? I'd rather find minutes for the better player, and less minutes for the worse player.

I think you just play Baer and Nunge at the 3 90% of the time now. We just can't afford to give so many minutes to Ellingson/Daily and Moss and take away minutes from Nunge and Baer.
When have I said less minutes for Nunge??

I said less minutes for Kriener and Garza and more for Dailey and Baer.

Here you go.

1. JBo 30 / CMac 10
2. Moss 20 / Dailey 10 / Ellingson 10
3. Baer 30 / Dailey 10
4. Nunge 30 / Pemsl 10
5. Cook 30 / Pemsl 10

This is especially true when Connor comes back if he is any good at all. Right now, he doesn't have to be very good to be an upgrade.

Here you go.

1. JBo 30 / CMac 10
3. Baer 30 / Dailey 10
4. Nunge 30 / Pemsl 10
5. Cook 30 / Pemsl 10

That is perfect other than the blind hope that Connor can take a few more minutes.

Here you go.

1. JBo 30 / CMac 10
3. Baer 30 / Dailey 10
4. Nunge 30 / Pemsl 10
5. Cook 30 / Pemsl 10

I'm ok with that. We are getting killed by teams who play their best players 35+ minutes while we trot our best guys out onto the court for 20-25 minutes. It's ridiculous, Wiggington and Babb 37 min, Jackson 34 Minutes. We are countering with 30 Minutes for Ellingson, seriously WTF.

I'm ok with that. We are getting killed by teams who play their best players 35+ minutes while we trot our best guys out onto the court for 20-25 minutes. It's ridiculous, Wiggington and Babb 37 min, Jackson 34 Minutes. We are countering with 30 Minutes for Ellingson, seriously WTF.
Exactly. Play your best players the majority of the minutes. If they get tired they need to get in better shape.

Exactly. Play your best players the majority of the minutes. If they get tired they need to get in better shape.

Yep. I do realize that it is harder for a 6'9 255 lbs Cook to play 35 minutes though, as the extra weight and all the banging inside take a bigger toll. Probably need to keep Cook at 30 or so.

Latest posts