Time to bench Woodbury???

Having Woody come off the bench could be the best thing for him. He could get a feel for the game & study his opponent Before getting in the game. Who knows, he could shine in that role... It doesn't mean he won't start again later this year.

One thing is for sure about how well AW2 plays coming off the bench, we won't know how he will do until Fran tries it!!!

I don't know why fans worry so much about who starts. It seems to be such a High School thing, there are numerous examples of players at the NBA level who start but don't finish which is what is more important in basketball. Who is on the court at the end of close games tells you who are the true players on a team.

I don't know why fans worry so much about who starts. It seems to be such a High School thing, there are numerous examples of players at the NBA level who start but don't finish which is what is more important in basketball. Who is on the court at the end of close games tells you who are the true players on a team.

Great post, IC! I agree, seems Woody is getting the nod at starting but depending on how he plays or his fouls is whether or not he is getting to finish the game.

Great post, IC! I agree, seems Woody is getting the nod at starting but depending on how he plays or his fouls is whether or not he is getting to finish the game.

I mean I can see Woody starting where there is a match up where he is needed. I can see him coming off the bench some games as well if Iowa is playing a team with no real post player and more of a streatch 4 playing that he would have to guard.

I mean it really means nothing about who does and does not start.

It is such BS that Basabe plays better off the bench. Basabe played fine as a starter his freshmen year, teams scouted him, and he did not refine his game enough durning the offseason and he struggled his sophomore year. This year he must have worked on more things, there is more talent around him and he is coming off the bench. He is playing better because he probably improved more, there is more talent around him so teams have to focus a bit more away from him and he is playing better at times. He is not playing better just because he comes off the bench.

There is just ridiculos analysis around here at times.

It is such BS that Basabe plays better off the bench. Basabe played fine as a starter his freshmen year, teams scouted him, and he did not refine his game enough durning the offseason and he struggled his sophomore year. This year he must have worked on more things,

Worked on things like keeping his head in the game?

I read every post in this thread looking for my observation and was surprised it wasn't there. Woodbury has hit the freshman wall IMO. This isn't unusual...especially for a 7 footer. I suspect he will struggle until about mid February and then get his 2nd wind...or whatever it is that's on the other side of the freshman wall.

I agree with those that say start Woodbury and then control his minutes based on his level of play. Coach is doing this so I have no complaints. Basabe and McCabe are also getting their minutes based on level of play. Keep in mind that Basabe injured both of his ankles and may just now be at the point where he can go 25 minutes every game.

I'm just glad we have options and lots of fouls available in the paint. In the Big Ten no team can be too deep or have too many fouls to give inside IMO.

I read every post in this thread looking for my observation and was surprised it wasn't there. Woodbury has hit the freshman wall IMO. This isn't unusual...especially for a 7 footer. I suspect he will struggle until about mid February and then get his 2nd wind...or whatever it is that's on the other side of the freshman wall.

I don't think he has hit this "mythical" wall. There are some match ups that are better for him at this stage in his playing career. I think when he works on strength it will open up more things for him to exploit. There is more tape on him going against various types of players, so coaches have an ability to scout him better.

No one expected him to be dominant his freshmen year. I think he has looked better than I had expected and I really like the way he fights on the block. He is aggressive on the offensive and defensive end and once he gets stonger and learns some tricks he should improve more.

I mean what are you comparing his play to if you fell he has hit a wall? Iowa non conference schedule was absolute garbage so you can't really tell anything from how he played against that competition.

He still needs as many minutes as you can get him. There will be times when he sits longer due to match up issues or fouls. But when he has it going you need to just play the heck out of him.

I agree with those that say start Woodbury and then control his minutes based on his level of play. Coach is doing this so I have no complaints. Basabe and McCabe are also getting their minutes based on level of play. Keep in mind that Basabe injured both of his ankles and may just now be at the point where he can go 25 minutes every game.

I'm just glad we have options and lots of fouls available in the paint. In the Big Ten no team can be too deep or have too many fouls to give inside IMO.

It's possible he's hit a bit of a wall. However I don't think it'd be a physical one unless he's hurt because I don't think he's played enough. These kids today play a ton of basketball year round and I bet he played a ton of mins between AAU and high school the last couple yrs. He moves really well for a big guy and I think he's in good shape. If he's hit a wall it's a mental one where he's just not used to playing against stronger guys about as big as he is. When you go from dominating to what he has been up against this yr that'd be a challenge all in itself.

Didn't say he was great at it and we both agree he is improving, i thought he played well against osu, and he can cover a lot of ground in a hurry which helps when getting back, Woodbury might have a great feel on when to jump back but he isn't fast enough to get back on the block when he needs to hopefully he can improve his quickness.

How you start both halves can be very important aspect of the game. Probably second only to the last 2 minuets.

There is some validity to being concerned with who starts.

I don't personally care between these to though. Especially since the two are such different players. If they were similar players and one was just outplaying the other it would be different.

A FM tightrope walk for sure.

Play others in hopes you have a better record this year, or, keep playing Woody so he keeps developing for the next few years.

I'd vote for the latter over the former.

A FM tightrope walk for sure.

Play others in hopes you have a better record this year, or, keep playing Woody so he keeps developing for the next few years.

I'd vote for the latter over the former.

Does anyone actually think not playing Woody at all is even an option?

I have been watching college basketball for 40 years and the freshman wall is not a myth. Since the rest of your post is pretty consistent with what I said in the rest of my post I think we more or less agree.
I don't think he has hit this "mythical" wall. There are some match ups that are better for him at this stage in his playing career. I think when he works on strength it will open up more things for him to exploit. There is more tape on him going against various types of players, so coaches have an ability to scout him better.

No one expected him to be dominant his freshmen year. I think he has looked better than I had expected and I really like the way he fights on the block. He is aggressive on the offensive and defensive end and once he gets stonger and learns some tricks he should improve more.

I mean what are you comparing his play to if you fell he has hit a wall? Iowa non conference schedule was absolute garbage so you can't really tell anything from how he played against that competition.

He still needs as many minutes as you can get him. There will be times when he sits longer due to match up issues or fouls. But when he has it going you need to just play the heck out of him.

I agree they play basketball year round before college but not against men 4 years older and completely developed physically. It is also safe to say Big Ten play is just a tad bit more physical (against much bigger and more mature players) than AAU ball. Also, the freshman wall is every bit as much mental as physical IMO.
It's possible he's hit a bit of a wall. However I don't think it'd be a physical one unless he's hurt because I don't think he's played enough. These kids today play a ton of basketball year round and I bet he played a ton of mins between AAU and high school the last couple yrs. He moves really well for a big guy and I think he's in good shape. If he's hit a wall it's a mental one where he's just not used to playing against stronger guys about as big as he is. When you go from dominating to what he has been up against this yr that'd be a challenge all in itself.

Gabe sucks on offense, he can't catch the ball and has zero offense game.

Basbe should be playing 30+ minutes per game.
The oddest thing I see Fran do is pull Woodbury after two quick fouls. What are you saving him for? Who cares if he foul out, we have sufficient depth at that position.

I agree they play basketball year round before college but not against men 4 years older and completely developed physically. It is also safe to say Big Ten play is just a tad bit more physical (against much bigger and more mature players) than AAU ball. Also, the freshman wall is every bit as much mental as physical IMO.
I think we pretty much agree. If he's hit a wall it's mostly in his head. He just hasn't played enough physically to have hit a wall. He's hardly working up a sweat in the games. Unless practice is killing him. I'm sure he's working way harder in practice then in games. But I'm not sure how hard they push em in practice at this point in the season but its way more work then he's been getting in the games.

Latest posts