Time to bench Woodbury???

I tell you one thing. He needs to work on his vertical jump in the offseason. I know he is still growing into his body, but the guy has no hops! Get some strength in those legs! How does a 7' 1" guy get blocked so much?

Because a feather could knock the ball loose at this point with Woodbury. He also needs to call Jess Settles or Lookingbill and get some pointers on a head fake.

Did you watch us play last year at all? Our interior defense was flat out terrible. We got destroyed against physical teams inside. Woodbury makes a huge difference defensively. Playing him helps the entire team, even if he's not scoring.
Exactly. Trotting someone like McCabe out there,you end up with the same poor defense like last year.

If you did bench Woodbury I would think McCabe would be the starter as Basabe has been doing really well coming off the bench. But I don't know, I could go either way with this as his struggles are not because of a lack of effort.

This was my gut reaction, as well. I'm really reluctant to pull Basabe out of his current role, because he's finally embraced it and he's excelling in it. I also think that, in the event Woodbury eventually earns his spot back, McCabe would handle being sent back to the bench better than Basabe (if history is any indication).

Mel may have matured a lot and would handle that better the second time around, IDK. But based on what I do know, McCabe is the safer choice.

This was my gut reaction, as well. I'm really reluctant to pull Basabe out of his current role, because he's finally embraced it and he's excelling in it. I also think that, in the event Woodbury eventually earns his spot back, McCabe would handle being sent back to the bench better than Basabe (if history is any indication).

Mel may have matured a lot and would handle that better the second time around, IDK. But based on what I do know, McCabe is the safer choice.

Woodbury wouldn't have to earn his spot back. Starting McCabe at the five spot pretty much guarantees McCabe will have two fouls by the first TV timeout. People obviously have very short memories around here and don't remember how bad we were when McCabe had to defend other team's fives last year.

Woodbury wouldn't have to earn his spot back. Starting McCabe at the five spot pretty much guarantees McCabe will have two fouls by the first TV timeout. People obviously have very short memories around here and don't remember how bad we were when McCabe had to defend other team's fives last year.

Woodbury had a pair in the first two and a half minutes last night. He's not any better about staying out of foul trouble. That's why he's averaging just over 12 mpg over the last four games.

This isnt an Iowa team thats gonna make a deep run in the NCAA tournament anyway. Im all in favor of letting Woodbury get his minutes and learn to battle in the Big10. Im not saying to throw this yr away , just think its more beneficial to let him develop on the court.

Curious what lineup for Iowa has the best +/-? Anyone have those stats.

Not taking a shot at you here, but why does it matter how big of a run Iowa makes in the tournament. I understand your logic, but IMO it's not fair to May to say Woody should play to help him get ready for the future. I understand that the experience is great for Woody, but if his minutes being decreased will help Iowa's chances of dancing (not saying they will or won't) then I am all for it.

The time and effort put into the offseason is what makes or breaks an athelete. Woody needs to get stronger, which is done in the off season. Sure he needs the experience, but his maturation will come from off season training and practice, and not necessarily how many minutes per game he gets now.

I just hate the mentality of focusing on a freshmans progress with a "this isn't there year" mentality when there are seniors on the same team that are down to their last chance. Whether they'd make a run or not, just getting back to the tournament would be huge at this point and I for one think that for the seniors on their last go round, that would reward the time and effort they've put into the program.

Edit: GamblingHawk- the majority of my comments weren't in response to your original post. I say where you said you didn't want to "throw the season away".

Woodbury was handed the starting job from day 1 undeservedly. He has shown flashes of promise, however, he is overmatched in the BIG right now and is costing us. He needs to sit and watch and learn. Nothing wrong with that. Melsahn deserves to start, however, we'd miss that energy / punch off the bench. I'm not sure Zach gives us the best chance playing the 5. His game is being a physical 4. Gabe has earned the right to see what he can do in the starter's role.

Woodbury had a pair in the first two and a half minutes last night. He's not any better about staying out of foul trouble. That's why he's averaging just over 12 mpg over the last four games.

But he provides much, much better defense while he's in there and is only going to get better. What's the reason for starting McCabe? He is what he is at this point.

But he provides much, much better defense while he's in there and is only going to get better. What's the reason for starting McCabe? He is what he is at this point.

I'm not even calling for a change. But if there were one, I'd probably start McCabe instead of Basabe, instead of risking screwing with Basabe's head when he eventually goes back to the bench.

I think you have to trust the coach on things like this. F.M. knows these guys better than we do. AW is not getting a lot of min. right now anyway. He will be a lot better next year. Im Ok with how Fran is handleing the development of this team

I love that we have Woodbury, but, if we going to give "project" guys minutes, I'd start Olaseni and have Basabe back him up. I think Olaseni has the physical tools to be a beast.

Did you watch us play last year at all? Our interior defense was flat out terrible. We got destroyed against physical teams inside. Woodbury makes a huge difference defensively. Playing him helps the entire team, even if he's not scoring.
Yes I watched alot of the games last year. How many mins a game is Woodbury averaging in conference play?? He played a whopping 7 mins last night. I don't think he's making as big of a difference on D that your insinuating. It's not just the scoring I'm worried about by any means. I think he moves his feet pretty well on D but his instincts just aren't there yet and he's not really a shot blocker. I think any combo of the other 3 bigs is better for the team right now. I'm not saying don't play Woodbury. I just say don't start him and find better game situations to play him without the pressure of starting.

Woodbury was handed the starting job from day 1 undeservedly. He has shown flashes of promise, however, he is overmatched in the BIG right now and is costing us. He needs to sit and watch and learn. Nothing wrong with that. Melsahn deserves to start, however, we'd miss that energy / punch off the bench. I'm not sure Zach gives us the best chance playing the 5. His game is being a physical 4. Gabe has earned the right to see what he can do in the starter's role.

Try to be a little more consistent in your philosophy will you? Gabe must get more minutes to learn the game and get comfortable. Woody must sit, watch and learn. The two arguments don't match up.

Yes I watched alot of the games last year. How many mins a game is Woodbury averaging in conference play?? He played a whopping 7 mins last night. I don't think he's making as big of a difference on D that your insinuating. It's not just the scoring I'm worried about by any means. I think he moves his feet pretty well on D but his instincts just aren't there yet and he's not really a shot blocker. I think any combo of the other 3 bigs is better for the team right now. I'm not saying don't play Woodbury. I just say don't start him and find better game situations to play him without the pressure of starting.

Watch Olesani on high pick and rolls if you want to see someone whose instincts aren't there yet, he has no feel for when to jump back to his guy. I don't think starting provides any extra pressure to Woodbury, I would rather he go up against the other teams best big guy then try to find match ups that benefit him.

I think you have to trust the coach on things like this. F.M. knows these guys better than we do. AW is not getting a lot of min. right now anyway. He will be a lot better next year. Im Ok with how Fran is handleing the development of this team

Of course we need to trust the coach but this is a forum and it is not a bad topic to discuss. It is obvious that Woody is struggling right now.

Try to be a little more consistent in your philosophy will you? Gabe must get more minutes to learn the game and get comfortable. Woody must sit, watch and learn. The two arguments don't match up.

I'd try and paint a picture for you siouxboy, but, kinda difficult on this site. Not sure how to be any clearer with what I said. Deal with it.

I would suspect that Fran rarely guarantees staring roles to players very often. If he did offer to Woody and has followed thru with his promise... it was brilliant.

Woody is going to struggle at times but he still gives an inside defensive (and offensive) prescence that no one else can provide. Mel is too good coming off the bench and along with McCabe coming off the bench and accepting their roles... no way will it work any better for Iowa to have Woody coming off the bench.

btw it may be me but wasn't Woody's first foul call really horrible? I need to go back and look at the video... it looked like the classic homer, big man Freshman call that was so wrong.

not to forget about how Gabe can come off the bench and play so well too.

Start with the rock, Woody and then bring in the experienced and more athletic men in waves...

Mel, McCabe and Gabe

Latest posts