Time for Barta to pull the plug on Bluder

Who said I wanted that? You really don't score well in reading comprehension do you? I said prior to her winning that title, I thought she was on the hot seat. I also said after she won the title that it was unlikely that she would feel much heat for years to come. I also said her recruiting had picked up in recent years. Try to keep up.

Logic (ESPN #10), Dixon, Printy and Taylor are all top 100 recruits and McD's AA's. Krei, Wahlin and Rogers are AA finalists. Not to mention, Iowa just graduated the single best player in the program's history. I really don't see what argument you have for saying Bluder isn't bringing in talent.

I'll give you the 2 McD's, but I have not been able to verify any of your other Top 100 claims (besides Johnson). Why if you hate women's basketball are you even bothered by my assertion the Bluder has traditionally been a weak recruiter?

Maybe you both missed were I stated that recruiting had improved in recent years.

Johanna Solverson was McD AA I believe. Had she been healthy her entire career she'd be all over the Iowa record books. Sadly, 3 blown ACL's cut back on her accomplishments.

Lindsay Richards was also AA, and a 3 time ACL.

Crystal Smith was AA honorable mention (and daughter of ex-Hawk Michael Morgan).

I actually doubt that all of the players you listed where top 100 prospects at the time of their signing. The only one listed as a top 100 recruit in the current media guide is Johnson, and for some reason, she has not seen the floor much this season. You by your own admission are pretty much talking out of your a$$.

I only bothered with three to disprove your argument. Objective citation. Proof positive.

Sam Logic. Top 10 on ESPN in High School.
Samantha Logic 2011 High School Girls' Basketball Profile - ESPNHS

Jaime Printy. 78th best on ESPN in High School.
Jaime Printy 2009 High School Girls' Basketball Profile - ESPNHS

Theairra Taylor 94th best on ESPN in High School.
Theairra Taylor 2009 High School Girls' Basketball News - ESPNHS

Bonus Round. This year's freshman class. 11th best in the nation.
Logic working hard for Hawks | Hawk Central
ESPN rated the class the 11th-best in the country.

I only bothered with three to disprove your argument. Objective citation. Proof positive.

Sam Logic. Top 10 on ESPN in High School.
Samantha Logic 2011 High School Girls' Basketball Profile - ESPNHS

Jaime Printy. 78th best on ESPN in High School.
Jaime Printy 2009 High School Girls' Basketball Profile - ESPNHS

Theairra Taylor 94th best on ESPN in High School.
Theairra Taylor 2009 High School Girls' Basketball News - ESPNHS

Bonus Round. This year's freshman class. 11th best in the nation.
Logic working hard for Hawks | Hawk Central
ESPN rated the class the 11th-best in the country.

Those are all recent signings, and Sioux said the recruiting had picked up over the last couple years.

...I don't follow the women's team too much ...

How do you feel justified to be critical over something you openly admit you don't know much about? I do happen to follow the women's basketball team closely each year, and I think many of those who are also familiar with the program during her tenure are happy with the job she's doing. Sure the team has struggled at times, but like others have posted earlier in this thread, the Iowa women have experienced a lot of injury problems. Bluder's teams have had to play portions of the past few seasons with very short benches, sometimes even calling on walk-ons to regularly contribute (Megan Considine). When you consider the injury problems that have haunted the women's teams over the past few years, but still see the Hawks towards the top of the BigTen, and advancing to the NCAA tourney consistently, credit has to go to Bluder.

I think Iowa has an excellent coach in Lisa Bluder and I hope she continues coaching the Hawks for years to come.

How do you feel justified to be critical over something you openly admit you don't know much about? I do happen to follow the women's basketball team closely each year, and I think many of those who are also familiar with the program during her tenure are happy with the job she's doing. Sure the team has struggled at times, but like others have posted earlier in this thread, the Iowa women have experienced a lot of injury problems. Bluder's teams have had to play portions of the past few seasons with very short benches, sometimes even calling on walk-ons to regularly contribute (Megan Considine). When you consider the injury problems that have haunted the women's teams over the past few years, but still see the Hawks towards the top of the BigTen, and advancing to the NCAA tourney consistently, credit has to go to Bluder.

I think Iowa has an excellent coach in Lisa Bluder and I hope she continues coaching the Hawks for years to come.

She gets to the tourney, but in her 12 years as coach, she has never taken a team past the second round. With the talent that she's had, a Sweet 16 would be nice.

She gets to the tourney, but in her 12 years as coach, she has never taken a team past the second round. With the talent that she's had, a Sweet 16 would be nice.

I think last year's team was easily sweet 16 caliber but an absolute crap draw is what cost them. Iowa's record was good enough to land them a 6 seed, however their matchup was against an 11 seed Gonzaga team in Spokane. Gonzaga should not have been anywhere near an 11 seed, as the only lost 4 games all season and ended up in the Elite 8. That said, Iowa gave them a hell of a run and almost pulled of the upset vs the lower seed.

Let me say for at least the fourth time in this thread. I am not calling for Bluder to be replaced. I thought early in her tenure, she was a weak recruiter. I thought she was on the way out until she surprisingly won a conference championship. I think that accomplishment cemented her position for years to come. I think her recruiting has been on the upswing in recent years. Are we all OK now?

As far as the injury problem. Iowa is not alone in this. There have been numerous studies on the numbers of ACL injuries in womens college basketball. This happens at a much higher frequency with women than with men. Those studies indicate there isn't much that can be done to prevent those injuries short of not participating.

Here is a link to an interesting study on the subject.

Non-contact ACL injuries in female athletes: an International Olympic Committee current concepts statement -- Renstrom et al. 42 (6): 394 -- British Journal of Sports Medicine

I think last year's team was easily sweet 16 caliber but an absolute crap draw is what cost them. Iowa's record was good enough to land them a 6 seed, however their matchup was against an 11 seed Gonzaga team in Spokane. Gonzaga should not have been anywhere near an 11 seed, as the only lost 4 games all season and ended up in the Elite 8. That said, Iowa gave them a hell of a run and almost pulled of the upset vs the lower seed.

Their seeding and placement last year was really confusing. For one I did not get why Iowa got seeded so low and secondly why they give the 11 seed home court advantage for the first 2 rounds is beyond me. If anything the games should have been played on the 3 seeds home court.

But year after year Bluder has Iowa competitive and it would not surprise me to see this team make a late run this year and get into the tournament.

Their seeding and placement last year was really confusing. For one I did not get why Iowa got seeded so low and secondly why they give the 11 seed home court advantage for the first 2 rounds is beyond me. If anything the games should have been played on the 3 seeds home court.

But year after year Bluder has Iowa competitive and it would not surprise me to see this team make a late run this year and get into the tournament.

Not to mention that Gonzaga was also surprisingly under-seeded. That was a 6 seed team at minimum.

Let me say for at least the fourth time in this thread. I am not calling for Bluder to be replaced. I thought early in her tenure, she was a weak recruiter. I thought she was on the way out until she surprisingly won a conference championship. I think that accomplishment cemented her position for years to come. I think her recruiting has been on the upswing in recent years. Are we all OK now?

Yeah, I think we got your point already. Early in her tenure here she had some issues bringing in top-tier talent. I assume that was probably because it was difficult to lay the inroads to the recruiting hotbeds, especially because she wasn't known for her recruiting at Drake. Obviously her recruiting has improved over the years. Watching the success of quick, athletic guards like Alexander and Printy probably helped her land Logic and will hopefully open the door for some more big-time recruits in the future. I don't think her coaching ability is in question and if she can land the athletes, we will see results.

Latest posts