Tiger admits to cheating, why is he not DQ'd? Should he DQ himself?

SayHawkKid

After Tiger hits a shot 2 yards farther than he wanted to, the ball hits the pin and bounces into the drink. He decides to take a drop and hit from as near to where he hit the previous shot as he can get. But, he decides to drop the ball 2 yards back from where he hit the previous shot so that it will hit where he wants it to. This is from his own mouth! This is clearly cheating. The only reason he is not DQ'd is because the rules committee, after being notified of the cheating by a freaking TV viewer, looked at the tape and decided not to access a penalty of any kind. Why did they decide this? If you don't know the answer to that question, nothing I say here will change that. BUT THEN TIGER ADMITTED, IN A POST ROUND INTERVIEW, TO MOVING THE BALL BACK 2 YARDS TO STAY AWAY FROM HITTING THE PIN AGAIN!!! Now the rules committee is stuck between a rock and a hard place and has to give him a 2 stroke penalty.

Another question is: How does Tiger not know he can't drop the ball away from where his previous shot was hit, to a place where he believes will be more advantageous for his next shot??

Calm down. Golfers do this more than you think. The only problem is that he mentioned that it was his intention instead of keeping quiet.

The drop wasn't the reason he would be facing a DQ. It's the fact that he signed an incorrect scorecard that would have gotten him a DQ if not for a rule change in 2012 saying that a player could avoid a DQ if he didn't realize the card was incorrect. And since the penalty wasn't enforced until after his round was over, it would be hard to accuse him of knowingly signing an incorrect scorecard.

You don't even know what the hell you are ranting about.

The new rule was invoked by the committee and they ruled a two stroke penalty. So Tiger is not disqualified. Not sure what is confusing about this. Committee has the final say and they ruled.

Hey Section, I thought the rule says you can't drop the ball closer to the hole. I didn't think there was a problem moving it further away. Do you know more specifically?

In this specific situation, the player is supposed to drop it as close as possible to the spot he hit the first ball. If he had gone for the other option of dropping it in line with where it went into the water, he could go back as far as he wanted. Tricky ruling,but glad the committee went this direction.

Hey Section, I thought the rule says you can't drop the ball closer to the hole. I didn't think there was a problem moving it further away. Do you know more specifically?

The rule says you have to drop as close to the original spot as possible. In their eyes, after hearing Tiger's comments, 2 yards is not close enough. It didn't have anything to do with being behind the original spot.

After Tiger hits a shot 2 yards farther than he wanted to, the ball hits the pin and bounces into the drink. He decides to take a drop and hit from as near to where he hit the previous shot as he can get. But, he decides to drop the ball 2 yards back from where he hit the previous shot so that it will hit where he wants it to. This is from his own mouth! This is clearly cheating. The only reason he is not DQ'd is because the rules committee, after being notified of the cheating by a freaking TV viewer, looked at the tape and decided not to access a penalty of any kind. Why did they decide this? If you don't know the answer to that question, nothing I say here will change that. BUT THEN TIGER ADMITTED, IN A POST ROUND INTERVIEW, TO MOVING THE BALL BACK 2 YARDS TO STAY AWAY FROM HITTING THE PIN AGAIN!!! Now the rules committee is stuck between a rock and a hard place and has to give him a 2 stroke penalty.

Another question is: How does Tiger not know he can't drop the ball away from where his previous shot was hit, to a place where he believes will be more advantageous for his next shot??

Your a bit over the top..

The drop wasn't the reason he would be facing a DQ. It's the fact that he signed an incorrect scorecard that would have gotten him a DQ if not for a rule change in 2012 saying that a player could avoid a DQ if he didn't realize the card was incorrect. And since the penalty wasn't enforced until after his round was over, it would be hard to accuse him of knowingly signing an incorrect scorecard.

Exactly..

The OP must be listening to Brandel on the Golf channel. lol

Tiger choose to return to the original spot from which he played, and drop "as nearly as possible'' from where he played the third shot. That is what Tiger choose to do. He stated that he played further from and original spot which is TRUE, but doesn't warrant a DQ or for that matter admit what the OP wrote saying he Tiger admits to Cheating.

Last edited:
How can people call in and then someone assess a penalty off of it? I'm going to start calling in after every shot Phil 'Smedium Shirt' Mikelson takes a shot and tell them he broke a rule I made up. Probably something about not wearing a shirt that fits.

How can people call in and then someone assess a penalty off of it? I'm going to start calling in after every shot Phil 'Smedium Shirt' Mikelson takes a shot and tell them he broke a rule I made up. Probably something about not wearing a shirt that fits.

That happens all the Time with people calling in Sparky.

In this instance. The person called in and then the Committee reviewed and determined that the Drop was good. The issue is Tiger after the round stated that his drop was further, then the committee reacted the way it should.. Assessing the 2 strokes.

Tiger did not sign an incorrect scorecard at the time he signed it at the end of this round.

Tiger should have dropped the ball as close to his original divot as possible which is the intent of the rules.

I have not read Tiger's exact quote but if he intimated that he wanted to play from two yards further away so he wouldnt hit the pin again and if you believe that he would really think he would hit the pin again then I have deed to the Brooklyn Bridge to sell you.

I havent seen a replay of the shot but if the ball had already crossed the hazard and then bounced back into it I am wondering why he couldnt drop just on the other side away from the hazard away from the pin (line of flight and no closer to the hole).

Calm down. Golfers do this more than you think. The only problem is that he mentioned that it was his intention instead of keeping quiet.

This may be the greatest single post I have ever seen. Cheating is not the problem, the problem is admitted to it in a TV interview after you do it!! Whatever you charge for this stuff is not nearly enough

You must be watching an alternate PGA tour if you think a lot of players cheat or just do stuff against the rules knowingly or not.

There are way too many people watching the events for players to routinely cheat or avoid the rules.

You must be watching an alternate PGA tour if you think a lot of players cheat or just do stuff against the rules knowingly or not.

There are way too many people watching the events for players to routinely cheat or avoid the rules.

I would stay on the good side of this Sparky dude if I was you. Not only does he know how often golfers cheat but he also knows what you're thinking. Priceless!

Of course I knew this reason for DQ, oh wise one. Now, try to keep up with the 1st grade math. If you admit to cheating, then you have to know you signed an incorrect scorecard, unless, of course, you give yourself a 2 stroke penalty before you sign. And if you know you signed an incorrect scorecard, you get the DQ. Quite simple, really.

Now, don't try to tell me El Tig does not know the rules. He has played this game a time or two.

Latest posts