Tiger admits to cheating, why is he not DQ'd? Should he DQ himself?

After Tiger hits a shot 2 yards farther than he wanted to, the ball hits the pin and bounces into the drink. He decides to take a drop and hit from as near to where he hit the previous shot as he can get. But, he decides to drop the ball 2 yards back from where he hit the previous shot so that it will hit where he wants it to. This is from his own mouth! This is clearly cheating. The only reason he is not DQ'd is because the rules committee, after being notified of the cheating by a freaking TV viewer, looked at the tape and decided not to access a penalty of any kind. Why did they decide this? If you don't know the answer to that question, nothing I say here will change that. BUT THEN TIGER ADMITTED, IN A POST ROUND INTERVIEW, TO MOVING THE BALL BACK 2 YARDS TO STAY AWAY FROM HITTING THE PIN AGAIN!!! Now the rules committee is stuck between a rock and a hard place and has to give him a 2 stroke penalty.

Another question is: How does Tiger not know he can't drop the ball away from where his previous shot was hit, to a place where he believes will be more advantageous for his next shot??

Per the rules Tiger should not have been DQ'd, he did something unknowingly. He signed a correct scorecard at the end of his round, but obviously later it was determined he hit an illegal shot. The penalty is a 2-shot penalty for hitting the shot from the improper spot.

The rule that prevents him from being DQ'd is actually a progressive rule, something golf isn't very familiar with and it is a good one. The fact that there is no rules judge walking with him at the Masters like other Major tournaments, or a lot of other tournaments the rules committee actually put itself in this whole predicament. Had that been the case the rules judge with the group would have informed Tiger of the illegal drop and he would have had to drop it again prior to shooting another shot, so there would have been no penalty in the first place.

I find it amazing how people are still flipping out over this; had it been any golfer not named Tiger Woods, this would be a non-topic.

Interesting comment by Nick Faldo.... before the rule change, guys would have DQ'd themselves, now not so much. Hmmmmm.

I would like these guys to name one that would. When they played they would have been disqualified, the fact that the PGA softened a rule is what is the topic worth talking about here.

It is absurd to say a guy would have taken themselves out of the tournament. The question I have is how many people has this happened to before who would have loved to have this rule in play when they got disqualified.

That bad bounce and penalty look pretty significant now....

Even yhen Tiger still had his chances...needed to putt a touch better.

The asshat announcers "he's just a little off his game and these other boys are on" ....soooo even after 4 strokes lost on one hole and below avg play on the front 9 today...he comes up 4 short....I guess his "off" play is still the best.

Latest posts