Thunder/Heat

Actually, Wade is known for his defense but whatever.

OKC played an old past their prime Mavs team, followed by an old past their prime Lakers team, followed by an old past their prime Spurs team. They did this while completely healthy. Not exactly a murderers row.

You act like putting interier guys on Bosh is just that simple. For one, Bosh doesn't play in the interior so these guys are going to be guarding out in space where they aren't as comfortable. Secondly, the entire OKC defense is predicated on having shotblockers to protect the rim. If that shotblocker is out at the three point line guarding Bosh, how will that impact the team defense for OKC?

You asked a good question regarding who is guarding Harden. Who is guarding Wade?

Westbrook scares the hell out of me. Durant not so much. Durant is going to get 30 regardless. If I'm Miami I put Bron on Westbrook and keep him out of the lane and force him into bad decisions. I put Battier on Durant and just hope to hold him to between 45 and 50% shooting en route to his 30/game. Wade can guard Harden. Westbrook is the total X factor in this series IMO. He will eat Chalmers alive if he guards him.

Battier is a very good defender, I'd expect him to be on Harden. Wade, Chalmers etc will rotate guarding Westbrook and he'll create problems for all of them.

Bosh is going to be able to pull either Ebaka or Perkins away from the basket which could be very important. He needs to be hitting his jump shot so they can't just camp under there and clog up the lane.

Definitely looks like the Thunder has an advantage on paper, we've never seen the Heat come in as an underdog though, it'll be interesting to see how they react.

yep. This is a great series IMO because both teams have the capabilities to exploit the other team's weaknesses.

I still think Miami would be better off putting LeBron on Harden and Battier on Durant but I don't think that would play well in the media (even though Durant won't be guarding James)

Last edited:
Westbrook scares the hell out of me. Durant not so much. Durant is going to get 30 regardless. If I'm Miami I put Bron on Westbrook and keep him out of the lane and force him into bad decisions. I put Battier on Durant and just hope to hold him to between 45 and 50% shooting en route to his 30/game. Wade can guard Harden. Westbrook is the total X factor in this series IMO. He will eat Chalmers alive if he guards him.
Agreed, the matchups in this series are fascinating. Will the Heat start with LeBron on Westbrook, or wait to see if he is going off? I agree that Westbrook is the X factor (possibly unguardable player), but if the Heat can somehow get him to play for himself, they stand a chance.

Also, who starts on LeBron (Sefalosha probably)? But the game will dictate the direction the Thunder will have to go. I could see them play a zone and try to contain the penetration of the Heat if possible.

Agreed, the matchups in this series are fascinating. Will the Heat start with LeBron on Westbrook, or wait to see if he is going off? I agree that Westbrook is the X factor (possibly unguardable player), but if the Heat can somehow get him to play for himself, they stand a chance.

Also, who starts on LeBron (Sefalosha probably)? But the game will dictate the direction the Thunder will have to go. I could see them play a zone and try to contain the penetration of the Heat if possible.

The question of course is have they practiced zone much. Dallas last year practiced zone all the time and ran it in most games so it wasn't unfamiliar to them. Ideally, a zone defense would be the way to go because it would force Miami into jumpshots which isn't really what they're good at.

LeBron can't guard Westbrook the whole game. It would take way too much energy given what Miami needs from him on the offensive end.

Actually, Wade is known for his defense but whatever.

OKC played an old past their prime Mavs team, followed by an old past their prime Lakers team, followed by an old past their prime Spurs team. They did this while completely healthy. Not exactly a murderers row.

You act like putting interier guys on Bosh is just that simple. For one, Bosh doesn't play in the interior so these guys are going to be guarding out in space where they aren't as comfortable. Secondly, the entire OKC defense is predicated on having shotblockers to protect the rim. If that shotblocker is out at the three point line guarding Bosh, how will that impact the team defense for OKC?

You asked a good question regarding who is guarding Harden. Who is guarding Wade?

You are ignorant if you think that the Heat had a tougher road to the finals than OKC and therefore there is no use having a discussion with you.

You are ignorant if you think that the Heat had a tougher road to the finals than OKC and therefore there is no use having a discussion with you.

Check out John Hollinger's piece on ESPN. The Spurs were better than the Celtics but the Knicks and Pacers were better than the Lakers and Mavs.

Add in the fact that Miami has played without their third best player for much of the playoffs and Miami's road to the finals was far from soft.

yep. This is a great series IMO because both teams have the capabilities to exploit the other team's weaknesses.

I still think Miami would be better off putting LeBron on Harden and Battier on Durant but I don't think that would play well in the media (even though Durant won't be guarding James)

I think you'll see them shift around quite a bit.

The question of course is have they practiced zone much. Dallas last year practiced zone all the time and ran it in most games so it wasn't unfamiliar to them. Ideally, a zone defense would be the way to go because it would force Miami into jumpshots which isn't really what they're good at.

LeBron can't guard Westbrook the whole game. It would take way too much energy given what Miami needs from him on the offensive end.
agreed

Check out John Hollinger's piece on ESPN. The Spurs were better than the Celtics but the Knicks and Pacers were better than the Lakers and Mavs.

Add in the fact that Miami has played without their third best player for much of the playoffs and Miami's road to the finals was far from soft.

Oh, well if John Hollinger says so then it must be true. My mistake.

I'd love to see OKC win it but the Heat will win in 7 and the conversation on ESPN will shift from "Will LeBron win a ring?" to "When will LeBron win his 7th?"

Oh, well if John Hollinger says so then it must be true. My mistake.

Just pointing out that it isn't nearly as "ignorant" as you make it out to be. Also, I never said Miami's road to the finals was tougher, just said that OKC's wasn't exactly murderers row.

Only Miami has played a team full of in their prime players and that team (Indiana) doesn't have a superstar on Durant's level.

I'm not sure why I got into this stupid debate anyway as it means nothing concerning the finals. Basketball is a game of matchups and just because you can beat one team doesn't mean you can beat another.

Agreed. Not sure how much zone OKC played or practiced and it's a little late if they haven't. :)

LeBron usually guarded Rose (last year) or Rondo (this year) later in games so he didn't wear down. I would expect to see the same with Westbrook if it is a tight game. That said, Durant will have a smaller defender on him and will get his shot off when he wants to - it's just a matter of him making it.

Just pointing out that it isn't nearly as "ignorant" as you make it out to be. Also, I never said Miami's road to the finals was tougher, just said that OKC's wasn't exactly murderers row.

Only Miami has played a team full of in their prime players and that team (Indiana) doesn't have a superstar on Durant's level.

I'm not sure why I got into this stupid debate anyway as it means nothing concerning the finals. Basketball is a game of matchups and just because you can beat one team doesn't mean you can beat another.

True.

i personally have no problem with his leaving it is the way he left cleveland and how he arrived in miami that i didnt like. he had that air of belief that he just deserves our admiration and he didnt have to earn it. the audacity to say he would win 6+ rings is just silly. i see nothing wrong with talking a big game but if you do be ready for the criticism when you fail. he acts like he doesnt deserve the criticism.

Sorry, he never said they would win 6+ rings. Maybe that's what you wanted to think he said to validate your feelings. Do a little research next time.

Lengthy post from Grantland about how the Heat has defended OKC. There's some numbers in here that looks to lean towards Miami, but I am thinking there will be some changes.

NBA Finals Preview: Can the Thunder Beat the Heat? - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

That guy does terrific work over there. I think he's a former nba coach and does a great job of diagraming plays so that any basketball fan can understand it.

On a related note, I can't believe Simmons picked Miami. I almost think it was a reverse jinx pick.

That guy does terrific work over there. I think he's a former nba coach and does a great job of diagraming plays so that any basketball fan can understand it.

On a related note, I can't believe Simmons picked Miami. I almost think it was a reverse jinx pick.
The reverse jinx pick is always in play with Simmons. :) I love how he had to stop tweeting during Celtic games.

Latest posts