Throwback Thursday: UCLA vs Iowa 1981

EstronHawkKing

1424557_10200836528416509_1631468343_n.jpg

Nice picture. Was at the game, it was great. Pat Dean I believe doing the dirty work at the bottom of the pile.

*Whew!

Sure glad we have Iowa State clogging up our schedule so that we don't get Home-home games with PAC-12 anymore!

Re: *Whew!

Sure glad we have Iowa State clogging up our schedule so that we don't get Home-home games with PAC-12 anymore!

Yes that always works out so well when Iowa goes out to play Arizona or Ariz St. when was the last time Iowa won a regular season game in the mountain or pacific time zones?

Re: *Whew!

Yes that always works out so well when Iowa goes out to play Arizona or Ariz St. when was the last time Iowa won a regular season game in the mountain or pacific time zones?

It also has something to do with chance in that when we have gone out west the opponents are have been pretty strong. We couldnt catch arizona, asu, etc while they were a little down.

I was there too. Wasn't that the game where Lon Olejniczak broke his leg? On a kickoff I think.

I think you are correct. IIRC it was one of those bad breaks just a little above the ankle and he was never the same and he was really good.

I had a friend a long time ago have the same type break as a player slid into him at second base and he had a limp afterwards.

I was there too. Wasn't that the game where Lon Olejniczak broke his leg? On a kickoff I think.

You are correct. The pride of Decorah, Iowa did break his leg that day. But that didn't stop us. We held the Bruins to around 100 yards of total offense and 7 first downs.

Andre Tippett, Mark Bortz and the entire defense just absolutely destroyed Irv Eatman and a highly ranked UCLA team that day.

As good as it gets.

broke his leg in two places and had nerve damage - - nerves took a long time to heal and never was the same. i recall listening to Z on WHO radio as a kid. I can remember the long delay due to Ole breaking his leg during the game.

That was a great game, and what a defensive unit that year. Bob Stoops, Andre Tippet, Mark Bortz, Lou King, and of course Reggie Roby, who was a great defensive player, could control a game as a punter that is rare.

Went to Nebraska, UCLA, Northwestern, Michigan, and we attended the Rose Bowl that year, what a fun season, and great memories...

Go Hawks

There for the Nebraska, UCLA and Mich St games. How fortunate to have been there for the dawn of a generation of Iowa football relevance built on toughness in the trenches.

You think 2002 OL was epic? How's this for an OL ... Joel Hilgenberg, Ron Halstrom, John Alt.

The DL was just as tough, anchored by Pat Dean, Mark Bortz (who actually went on to play OL for the Super Bowl Bears) Andre "F-ing" Tippett. Back them up with a couple Stoops boys.

Finally - zero returns with Reggie Roby (R.I.P.) kicking the ball out of the stadium.

Between beating top 10 teams Nebraska (that was your Father's, Nebraska, not the post-Tom Osborne Nebraska of the 2000's) and UCLA, was a close loss to ISU. However, back then, that was hardly an embarrassing thing, since ... get this ... that was when ISU was often ranked and went to bowl games ... I sh!t you, not!!

Oh yeah, that Nebraska team had Dave Rimington -- as in, THEE ... for which the trophy is named. I remember him coming off the field piiiisssssed off -- prolly over getting manhandled by Pat Dean! Dean was the "Matt Roth" of that defense -- big motor and a loose screw -- which is why, as a nose guard, he racked up tackle counts like a LB.

Last edited:
Each time Iowa scored, the guy behind me pured little Rum and Cokes for himself, his friend and my and my friends. It was a celebration!

Latest posts