Throwback Thursday: UCLA vs Iowa 1981

81-82 puts me a Sr in college. good times. I think I visited Notre Dame to see a good buddy, that same fall for USC game. Momentus day. I never owned an alligator shirt. I wore some other brand. But I might as well have.

I did read this though.

Official-Preppy-Handbook-Cover.png

Last edited:
I was at that game and all the games that year. They played on the horrible turf. If you ever had the chance to walk or play on it, it was literally like concrete (in reality it was). Amazed more people didn't get hurt on that stuff. Biggest regret was not going out to the Rose Bowl that year. All my buddies loaded up and drove out and I stayed home like an idiot.

Andre Tippett was so good, the young kids on here have no idea!!!

Interesting you bring up the turf. I too was amazed how awful it was. And I recall going down onto the following a game during Nick Bell's first year as a Hawk. So this woukd have been 1988. I wanted to meet the monster who was totally destroying people on special teams.

Two things.
1 - I remember thinking I wouldn't want to be tackled by this guy after he sprinted downfield with a full head of steam. He lead the team in special teams tackles that year.
2 - I was absolutely shocked that they were playing on a field that was that worn out and hard. It WAS like walking on concrete. I believe it was the same field that they were using in 1981. 7 years later.

Hayden despised artificial turf and had been wanting it replaced for years. Guess they didn't have the $$ in the coffers they have today.

Latest posts