Thoughts on Cutler

Letting the Packers do whatever they want? Well that was nice of the Packers to only want to score 14 points.

14 > 0, and up until the pick that bounced off Drivers foot, the Packers offense was pretty much moving the ball however they wanted to. It was nice of Jay to give it right back, though. The way that game was going, that 14 points may as well have been 49.

Easily, plenty of extremely talented freak athletes do. It happens in every sport, guys like JaMarcus Russell, Terry Glenn, Travis Henry.

I'd like to see links to your documentation that these people also did not care about football.

And Cutler is not a bad QB, he's just never going to be a great one because he doesn't put in the extra work.

What are you basing that on? I've heard plenty in the Chicago media saying that he works just as hard, if not harder, than anyone on the team.

14 > 0, and up until the pick that bounced off Drivers foot, the Packers offense was pretty much moving the ball however they wanted to. It was nice of Jay to give it right back, though. The way that game was going, that 14 points may as well have been 49.

Yeah they were moving the ball however they wanted to except for the fact that they punted on three of their four possesions prior to the interception. The Bears defense, outside of the first drive, was outstanding. The only other TD they gave up came on a drive where the Packers started in Bears territory. If the Packers were as dominating on offense as you think they were it would have been at least 28-0, not 14-0 at halftime.

Bears fans are idiots...he tore his MCL you DB's.

Are all bears fans such meatheads?

The team doctors told him not to play!

Yeah they were moving the ball however they wanted to except for the fact that they punted on three of their four possesions prior to the interception. The Bears defense, outside of the first drive, was outstanding. The only other TD they gave up came on a drive where the Packers started in Bears territory. If the Packers were as dominating on offense as you think they were it would have been at least 28-0, not 14-0 at halftime.

It may as well have been 28-0 the way the Bears offense was going. The Bears defense played well, the Packers defense played better. That's been the case in every game this year.

I'd like to see links to your documentation that these people also did not care about football.

What are you basing that on? I've heard plenty in the Chicago media saying that he works just as hard, if not harder, than anyone on the team.

On Cutler, right from Wilbons column today: As usual, Chicago Bears can't cut it at QB with Jay Cutler - ESPN Chicago

A former quarterback who wears a Super Bowl ring, who has studied Cutler's entire career in the NFL, told me before he left the field Sunday, "The sad thing is that if he embraced working on the monotonous details of quarterbacking he could be great."

Plus I've seen plenty of other articles about how Cutler is a 9 to 5 QB. Doesn't put in the extra work that must QB's around the league do.

On Russell: And there really are hundreds of articles to choose from about him.

JaMarcus Russell lambasted by former teammates | PlayerPress.com - Sports Commentary, News, Rumors, Blogs, Photos, Videos by Pro Athletes and Fans

On Henry: Travis Henry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We did not feel his commitment to the Broncos was enough to warrant a spot on this football team," said head coach Mike Shanahan in a prepared statement. “He’s just too inconsistent as a person. I’m not going to get into details what he did do or didn’t do. If you don’t do the little things, obviously you can’t count on somebody. So that’s why he’s released

On Glenn: Terry Glenn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

During the 2001 season, coach Bill Belichick deactivated him for the rest of the season because of serial off-the-field problems - an interview on WBZ-TV in which Glenn hinted he was faking injuries because of Patriots discipline.

There have been plenty of football players that don't care about football, they just want to get paid. It's like that at any job, why would the NFL be different?

From Lovie Smith:

“I haven’t seen it before,” Smith said of the kind of criticism Cutler has gotten from around the NFL. “It seems like if you’re in that fraternity you’d be stepping up for your fellow man. Especially when you don’t know. You don’t know what’s going on. As far as Jay, Jay didn’t take himself out of the game. If you’re going to be attacking somebody, attack me, as a head football coach — and our medical staff — we’re the ones. He wanted to go back in. He was injured and went back in in the second half. So I see it as the complete opposite.”

Smith told the reporters present that he was surprised there was so much scrutiny on Cutler.

“For most of you it seems like the storyline has been about whether our quarterback is a tough guy,” Smith said. “Our quarterback is a tough guy. He wanted to win the game as much as anyone. It’s pretty simple what happened yesterday. Before the half Jay hurt his knee, showed a lot of toughness to continue to play with it. Right before the half, when we threw the pick, the medical staff — we all — made the decision that he couldn’t go. We took him in to try to work on him, which we did. But Jay, you know, we got the treatment there at halftime, we weren’t sure if he would be able to go. He wanted to go and tried to go the second half as he went back in that first series. You never want a player to be out on the football field if he can’t protect himself and can’t perform his duties. That’s what happened.

“For guys to take a shot that weren’t there, to try to look at his body language and figure out whether he was hurt because he was on the sideline, or, ‘What I would do in that situation,’ you don’t know what you would do in that situation. The guys that know what he was going through were the guys on our sideline. And you go to our players and see exactly what went on. I have no questions about any of that for our football team.”

From Lovie Smith:

“I haven’t seen it before,†Smith said of the kind of criticism Cutler has gotten from around the NFL. “It seems like if you’re in that fraternity you’d be stepping up for your fellow man. Especially when you don’t know. You don’t know what’s going on. As far as Jay, Jay didn’t take himself out of the game. If you’re going to be attacking somebody, attack me, as a head football coach — and our medical staff — we’re the ones. He wanted to go back in. He was injured and went back in in the second half. So I see it as the complete opposite.â€

Smith told the reporters present that he was surprised there was so much scrutiny on Cutler.

“For most of you it seems like the storyline has been about whether our quarterback is a tough guy,†Smith said. “Our quarterback is a tough guy. He wanted to win the game as much as anyone. It’s pretty simple what happened yesterday. Before the half Jay hurt his knee, showed a lot of toughness to continue to play with it. Right before the half, when we threw the pick, the medical staff — we all — made the decision that he couldn’t go. We took him in to try to work on him, which we did. But Jay, you know, we got the treatment there at halftime, we weren’t sure if he would be able to go. He wanted to go and tried to go the second half as he went back in that first series. You never want a player to be out on the football field if he can’t protect himself and can’t perform his duties. That’s what happened.

“For guys to take a shot that weren’t there, to try to look at his body language and figure out whether he was hurt because he was on the sideline, or, ‘What I would do in that situation,’ you don’t know what you would do in that situation. The guys that know what he was going through were the guys on our sideline. And you go to our players and see exactly what went on. I have no questions about any of that for our football team.â€

Yeah I would hope the head coach wouldn't throw him under the bus, obviously his teammates and coaches aren't going to call him out on the record. But off the record...

Off the record, several teammates looked at Cutler amid the postgame wreckage and shook their heads. “I aint’ gonna say nothing,†one Bears player said privately, “but I don’t see a brace on that knee. Do you?â€

Chicago Bears lose to Green Bay Packers - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

On Cutler, right from Wilbons column today: As usual, Chicago Bears can't cut it at QB with Jay Cutler - ESPN Chicago

A former quarterback who wears a Super Bowl ring, who has studied Cutler's entire career in the NFL, told me before he left the field Sunday, "The sad thing is that if he embraced working on the monotonous details of quarterbacking he could be great."

Plus I've seen plenty of other articles about how Cutler is a 9 to 5 QB. Doesn't put in the extra work that must QB's around the league do.

Wilbon? Who's next, Rick Reilly? I'd rather take opinions from people who know him and work with him.

Mike Martz: "I never let hearsay and gossip determine what I think of a player, and I haven't with Jay,'' Martz said. "What I've seen in him so far is he has no flaws. None. He's got no ego. I'm sure I've not met anyone as intelligent as him at quarterback. He's been a great leader. He can make all the throws. His recognition of the defense at the snap of the ball is freaky, incredible. He sees things the way Kurt used to see them. He came to me with a completely open mind about this offense, and every day when I come to work, he's ready to learn. It tickles me. He's bought in so completely.''

Yeah I would hope the head coach wouldn't throw him under the bus, obviously his teammates and coaches aren't going to call him out on the record. But off the record...

Off the record, several teammates looked at Cutler amid the postgame wreckage and shook their heads. “I aint’ gonna say nothing,â€￾ one Bears player said privately, “but I don’t see a brace on that knee. Do you?â€￾

Chicago Bears lose to Green Bay Packers - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

I bet you get all your news from FOX.

Wilbon? Who's next, Rick Reilly? I'd rather take opinions from people who know him and work with him.

Mike Martz: "I never let hearsay and gossip determine what I think of a player, and I haven't with Jay,'' Martz said. "What I've seen in him so far is he has no flaws. None. He's got no ego. I'm sure I've not met anyone as intelligent as him at quarterback. He's been a great leader. He can make all the throws. His recognition of the defense at the snap of the ball is freaky, incredible. He sees things the way Kurt used to see them. He came to me with a completely open mind about this offense, and every day when I come to work, he's ready to learn. It tickles me. He's bought in so completely.''

I'd rather not listen to coach speak all day.

Brian Urlacher:
"Jay was hurt," he said. "I don't question his toughness. He's tough as hell. He's one of the toughest players on our football team. He doesn't *****, he doesn't complain when he gets hit. He goes out there and plays his *** off every Sunday. He practices every single day, so no, we don't question his toughness."

Chris Harris:
“You wanna talk about a guy who’s been sacked 52 times in a season and only missed one game, and you tell me he’s not tough,” Harris said. “For a guy who plays this game every week with diabetes and you tell me he’s not tough. It kind of rubs me the wrong way and pisses me off.

“Jay’s our quarterback, he’s our leader. We have all the faith in Jay, and we know how tough of a guy he is. So when guys on Twitter, all the ex-NFL players, the current NFL players are bashing him, it not only pisses me off, it pisses our entire team off. . . . If it wasn’t for him, we wouldn’t be in the position that we’re in.”

Are we seriously supposed to believe this? I know Mike Martz knows more about football than anyone posting on this thread, but there's no way this is true. Give me a break. "He has no flaws"? "His recognition of the defense is freaky, incredible"? The guy has a 50/42 TD/INT ratio in a Bears uniform. I'd say he has a few flaws, regardless of what you think of his personality.

Maybe Martz is part of the problem. Regardless, this quote doesn't make me inclined to believe anything he has to say about Cutler.

Last edited:
Gravy,
You can defend him all you want. The fact of the matter is he did wuss out. Divisional Championship Game with the Superbowl on the line at home, he is going to take heat and lots of it.

The leaders of the Bears team are not going to throw him under the bus right after the game. However I bet you that many players waking up this morning have many doubts about Cutler.

Last edited:

No flaws at all, except you know poor fundamentals. Also, Mike Martz thinks this Mike Martz character is a liar.

And this all came on the heels of Mike Martz telling ESPNChicago.com's Jon Greenberg that criticism of Cutler's fundamentals, specifically his footwork, is "fair... You can't go through a lifetime with those kinds of habits and fix them in one season."

Gravy,
You can defend him all you want. The fact of the matter is he did wuss out. Divisional Championship Game with the Superbowl on the line at home, he is going to take heat and lots of it.

Holy hell, HE WANTED TO PLAY. THE TEAM DOCTORS AND COACHING STAFF MADE THE DECISION.

I honestly cannot believe this discussion is still going on.

Latest posts