Thought on next week's ISU game???

Can't believe you haven't been banned yet. A disgrace of a cyclone fan.
Yeah I'm not sure why he said that either. Just ignore him. Back to the game, I'm very excited for Saturday! It's almost as if our roles reversed from last years game (minus the outcome of course :D). I am hoping to pick off some tickets and go to my first ever game at Kinnick. Should be another great game again.

Lots to be concerned about, but also have faith that the staff and players will clean alot up this week. That being said, here's my general overview of what needs to occur.

1) O-line play- JVB (even though he held on to the ball too long) needs to stay upright and have adequate protection in order to execute the offense properly, (6) sacks is unacceptable. ISU has a way better more experienced D-line than NIU. I was hoping that O-line would be a strength this year. Lots of room for improvement. Kirk's specialty.

2) Inexperienced D-line, and suspect depth at that position has me worried. I think our linebackers and secondary are OK, and actually Jantz throwing alot may help us. They have a good solid veteran O-line, and good running backs, could be a long day if they get rolling. We have to be able to pressure Jantz into making mistakes, and I'm just not seeing it. I just hope we don't get dominated in the trenches. Make no mistake, ISU is a good team that's well coached, and they are hungry. Even at Kinnick this D-line worries me.

3) Tackling, we weren't wrapping guys up, way too many whiffs, i.e. arm tackle attempts, I thought they taught proper tackling technique in 7th grade, this will be a long season if this area doesn't improve exponentially between weeks 1 and 2.

4) JVB probably had his most mediocre inept looking game since becoming the Hawk QB. I thought that he had worked extensively with Coach Davis (who BTW I really like) and had a good understanding and command of the new offense. Could have fooled me?? I'm expecting an effective confident JVB to emerge as long as he has adeaquate protection.

5) We need to continue with, and build upon the stellar Special Teams play, the lone bright spot from an otherwise abysmal performance.

6) Poor or missed blocking assignments by RB's in protection, not picking up blitzes, etc..., the TE (C.J. made 1 great block, followed by a complete whiff that resulted in a sack, c'mon man, you're better than that C.J., no more taking plays off and resting on your laurels. You won't make the league doing that, and you're more than capable.), and WR's not staying with/sustaining blocks downfield (I know Soup taught you better than that). Shumpert needs to step up and contribute instead of looking like McNutt Lite. Wiseman and Bullock were thin rays of hope, but otherwise we need to clean up alot.

I'm not overreacting, or conceding anything at this point, but rather am acknowledging that we will have our hands full with a very good ISU team who is hungry, and won't be intimidated one iota coming into Kinnick fully expecting to win. Call me eyes wide open going into this one, with some legitimate, but correctable concerns. It's put up time Hawkeyes. We either bring our A game, or we will get our ***** handed to us, I hate to say. I don't want to be dealing with Cyclone smack talk the rest of the year. GO HAWKS!

If we play like last week- ISU 30 Iowa 14

If we improve a little and ISU plays like they did vs. Tulsa- ISU 30 Iowa 24

If we play like we're capable of and clean things up and come out on fire Iowa 24 ISU 17

Best case scenario fantasy Iowa 37 ISU 24

More realistic objective reality if we get our act together Iowa 24 ISU 17

Anyway, that's my take. Love my Hawks, but am not drinking the Kool-Aid. Need to improve! Time to get this group coached up. No excuses, will have to be ready.

I listened to the Iowa game on the radio and they said a few times that this is the best defense the hawks will face this year. So, I will say hawks 44-17.

Fine Iowa's D after the first Q and a half basically shut down NIU's offense completely. If Miller hadn't missed that tackle they probably would not have scored at all in the 2nd half. Its the offense that is just simply BAD and not in a good way.

Not sure you realize it, but this is a good thing. The O has some read pass patterns, and that will take some time. That should be mostly expected, and should come as no surprise. The defensive play, although nothing close to perfect, was extremely encouraging.

How quickly does the offense get comfortable? That's the question to me. The defensive has already shown improvement.

I have no idea what to expect from this team. My head says we lose, I can't really see us being better than them though they are pretty close but my heart says we aren't losing to them at Kinnick.

we played a team with no passing game today. that won't be the case next week. If we don't get some turnovers, its going to be a long long afternoon.

What position do you play? Thought there were rules against posting on the interweb.

Are you trying to say Soldier wasn't a home game for Iowa yesterday?
It absolutely was not a home game. Different stadium, different atmosphere, different background, unfamiliar settings. Just because the stadium was mostly Iowa fans in no way makes it equivalent to playing at Kinnick. I can't believe I have to even spell that out for you.

This. If the Jerseys were white and AC/DC didn't blare, it was a road game.

Iowa pounds the rock - and hammers the ball down the field! ISU - Steele - gets pounded on - he can't see any open field!

Iowa by 24-6

No use dreaming. Might as well wake up and not get disappointed. Iowa is in for a long day. Kinnick will be a relative quiet place. Most of the scoring will be in the first half. Iowa State will put it to the Hawks.
I say this even thuogh I am a Hawk fan. I will take a more seasoned team to win and we just don't have it.

Looking like its going to be a sad day for many Hawks. Heartbreakinitis will be setting in for many hawk fans after this one. Lets hope we can beat UNI and focus on improving

Based on watching both teams first game...I predict ISU 31 IA 16

Knowing how this rivalry works and how much better IA can be...
I predict 24-21 ISU wins.
I'll also predict that UNI beats IA 27-12.

I think UNI will end up being the best team in the state.

I really think this game will be ok. The hawks moved the ball with ease, just shot ourselves in the foot anytime we were sniffing a score. There could have easily been four touchdowns instead of four field goals. Not finishing drives is a huge problem, but I trust that g Davis will see some things on tape that can be adjusted or tweaked to help finish those drives off. Think of it this way, if Iowa finished two of those four field goal drives off with a td the score would have been 27-17 and people wouldn't be in panic mode. Calm down guys, we had to block two fgs against uni before and that season turned out alright.

Have yet to see highlights of your NIU game so I can just go off of word of mouth of some Hawk friends.

I think it will be a good game. I don't see Iowa scoring more than 24. I'm thinking a 28-24 type of game in favor of ISU.

If I was UI d coordinator I would be blitzing every play. Steele got a bit ancy in the pocket and really failed to step UP into the pocket. Instead he ran backwards trying to make a play. I think the thing that gives ISU the victory will be the running game. Shontrelle Johnson is so quick to hit that whole its crazy to see how much faster he is than James White. My Iowa friend said your speed is really lacking and I hope we can score by breaking a couple long runs.

Here's to a fun week!

I honestly think we're gonna see a low scoring game, like somewhere in the teens. I think both teams are pretty much equal, but if we can force Jantz to throw, then I think our secondary will have the advantage, if he runs, I see him getting 5-10 yrds every time. Jantz will have a good game stat wise, but the question is, what can isu's Defense do besides their linebackers? Isu will come out blitzing, no doubt, but can JVB avoid that and stay off his back? Honestly guys I really dont know who will win.

Don't think it will be low scoring. The losing team wll probably have 20 points. My guess is totally biased. I pick Iowa by 3.

ISU looks better on paper, but the game is in Kinnick. If Iowa improves from week one to two like they should, it will be a tough, hard fought game with the winner emerging in the final minutes of the game.

Latest posts