This Wisconsin game is probably the most important Iowa game since 2010

okeefe4prez

Wisconsin stole Iowa's mojo on that fake punt in 2010. The trajectories of the two programs completely changed with that one play. Gordon decommitted and Wisconsin went on to push everyone in our division around for years with the exception of the one year they coughed up the ball on the goal line and Iowa won (2015). I believe that if Iowa can win this game, Iowa will become the king of the West for at least 4 out of the next 5 years. This game will have a big impact on recruiting and perception and Iowa simply must win it.

This game certainly feels like that. I think only time will tell if it is really that meaningful though. I think if Iowa can win on Saturday they are certainly looking good to win the West this year. The roles are reversed from last year, as Wisconsin had the easy crossover games vs the East and Iowa played all tough teams. This year Iowa has the easier games out of the East, and it might be hard to overcome that for Wisconsin if we can beat them.

It's a big game no doubt, I'm just saying - that one was bigger because it could have meant a playoff birth for Iowa. I would argue that this game is just as important and may end up being bigger grand scheme of things when all said and done.

If 2015 is thought of as some blip or speed bump in Wisconsin's run, why would an early 2018 victory over Wisc make any difference? 2015 also included an early season win over Wisc.

I am sorry, this is not even close. The 2015 Big Ten CCG is easily the biggest game Iowa has played since 2010. If Iowa wins that game, they are Big Ten Champions and are in the playoffs. That is something that can never be taken away.

Last edited:
If 2015 is thought of as some blip or speed bump in Wisconsin's run, why would an early 2018 victory over Wisc make any difference? 2915 also included an early season win over Wisc.

I am sorry, this is not even close. The 2015 Big Ten CCG is easily the biggest game Iowa has played since 2010. If Iowa wins that game, they are Big Ten Champions and are in the playoffs. That is something that can never be taken away.
2015 was nice, but I just don't think that team had any buzz or zazz. This one does. We simply have to recruit one or two better o-linemen a year and steal a RB from Wisconsin. We need to make kids want to pay here and this is a signature game for the program that can lay a foundation for the next several years. Fant is special and this d-line is special. Iowa has a much better story to tell recruits visiting in 2018 than we did in 2015.

Wisconsin stole Iowa's mojo on that fake punt in 2010. The trajectories of the two programs completely changed with that one play. Gordon decommitted and Wisconsin went on to push everyone in our division around for years with the exception of the one year they coughed up the ball on the goal line and Iowa won (2015). I believe that if Iowa can win this game, Iowa will become the king of the West for at least 4 out of the next 5 years. This game will have a big impact on recruiting and perception and Iowa simply must win it.
It's huge, but I don't thing Iowa wins this thing.

Chryst is smart enough to learn from Ohio State's mistake of not blitzing (which is the only reason we won), our DE hasn't come close to being tested this year, and Wisconsin is deep enough that' they'll hang in the trenches.

Iowa so far this year has played hugely subpar teams that got tired in the second halves. That's not going to happen Saturday. Stanley gets rattled with the slightest bit of pressure and Wisconsin is going to bring it in spades. With their "hybrid" 3-4 you're going to see a ton of LB and safety blitzes which Stanley proved last year he couldn't deal with and there's no Daniels or Welsh in 2018. On 3rd downs I guarantee you that 3-4 is going to turn into a dime blitz package, and with the struggles the OL has had so far what indication is there that they can handle Wisconsin bringing the house? Fant/Hockenson/Beyer blocking? Take them away and the secondary is left with easy man coverage because the TE threat isn't there.

I know a lot of folks stress the OSU game last year as how the Hawks can throttle ranked teams, but that's total homerism, plain and simple. That game was lost by Ohio State's coaching mistakes and if you don't know enough about football to see it then I don't know what to say; it was staring you in the face for 4 quarters. Ohio State hung back thinking they could leave Stanley alone and play zone and it bit them in the ass.

We can go on and on about what BYU did, but good coaching staffs do two things that average coaching staffs can't master... 1) they learn and exploit their opponents' weaknesses, and 2) they learn from and don't repeat their own mistakes. You're not going to see the team that BYU beat last week.

My prediction is 24-6 Wisconsin but I would love to eat some sweet crow.

Commence with the hate.

Chryst is smart enough to learn from Ohio State's mistake of not blitzing (which is the only reason we won), our DE hasn't come close to being tested this year, and Wisconsin is deep enough that' they'll hang in the trenches.

Iowa so far this year has played hugely subpar teams that got tired in the second halves. That's not going to happen Saturday. Stanley gets rattled with the slightest bit of pressure and Wisconsin is going to bring it in spades. With their "hybrid" 3-4 you're going to see a ton of LB and safety blitzes which Stanley proved last year he couldn't deal with and there's no Daniels or Welsh in 2018. On 3rd downs I guarantee you that 3-4 is going to turn into a dime blitz package, and with the struggles the OL has had so far what indication is there that they can handle Wisconsin bringing the house? Fant/Hockenson/Beyer blocking? Take them away and the secondary is left with easy man coverage because the TE threat isn't there.

I know a lot of folks stress the OSU game last year as how the Hawks can throttle ranked teams, but that's total homerism, plain and simple. That game was lost by Ohio State's coaching mistakes and if you don't know enough about football to see it then I don't know what to say; it was staring you in the face for 4 quarters. Ohio State hung back thinking they could leave Stanley alone and play zone and it bit them in the ass.

We can go on and on about what BYU did, but good coaching staffs do two things that average coaching staffs can't master... 1) they learn and exploit their opponents' weaknesses, and 2) they learn from and don't repeat their own mistakes. You're not going to see the team that BYU beat last week.

Commence with the hate.
Thank you for the reply. Before we get all worked up about the final score, I just want to throw some numbers out there. 67 and 3.

67 stands for 67 yards. If we can put up 67 yards, that will best last year's total of 66. And if the offense can put up 3 points, that will be better than the offense did last year in the scoring category. So even if Iowa has a bad game, I don't want to hear a bunch of bellyaching about the yardage or points. We need to see incremental improvement year over year and if we can hit those two numbers, 67 and 3, it will be an improvement over last year and we can take home a moral victory and regroup for the big game against Minnesota.

Commence with the hate.

no hate - you're entitled to your prediction and score. I could see that kind of game turning out but Wisci is obviously gettable. I don't think that will happen. I expect Iowa to win or if they lose, it will be by a whisker. Wisci is a good team and I can see why you think what will happen will happen, hard to believe they are gonna drop 2 in a row because they haven't in some time.

I’d feel better about this game if Wisconsin wouldn’t have over-looked BYU.

They already had this game circled. And now they’re PO’d about losing and having an OOC home streak snapped. PO’d Badgers coming to town. Better strap it tight.

There have been a lot of big games, but the 2015 Big Ten title game was the biggest game of the Ferentz era. Only 2 big ten teams have made the CFP in its 4 year existence. Iowa would be one of those 2 teams had it beaten Michigan State that night. Not to mention the outright Big Ten title off an undefeated season. Iowa would have probably been the #2 ranked team in the country going into the CFP.

Only 2 big ten teams have made the CFP in its 4 year existence. Iowa would be one of those 2 teams had it beaten Michigan State that night. Not to mention the outright Big Ten title off an undefeated season. Iowa would have probably been the #2 ranked team in the country going into the CFP.

This is a big game. Iowa needs to beat Wisconsin. Losing 5 of the last 6 prevents Iowa from equating themselves with Wisconsin. A win can go a long way to correcting that. It doesn't have anything to do with winning the West this year, it's just about beating Wisconsin.

Commence with the hate.

YEP.

Latest posts