This team is bad...

tenor.gif

The way Joe has played his first 2 games, I would think I'd feel better about this season but I don't.

I keep thinking Moss has talent and will put it together but he just doesn't. I also thought Nunge was going to be a key player coming off the bench.

I've never bought in to Cook. He's a good offensive talent but he just doesn't have much impact on D and I'm not sure how much of a leader or just a winners or maybe better described a not willing to lose type attitude.
Cook had the best game of any Hawkeye last night. 12 pts on 7 shots, 8 rebs, 5 assts, 3 blks and 2 turnovers. That's good for a + 9.7 in the Box +/-. JW was the only other player with a plus @ +1.1. Everyone else was a negative.
Which is why everyone is saying that we looked like a bad basketball team, last night. You can't win very many games when 8 of your 10 man rotation gives you negative numbers in the Box +/-.

Cook had the best game of any Hawkeye last night. 12 pts on 7 shots, 8 rebs, 5 assts, 3 blks and 2 turnovers. That's good for a + 9.7 in the Box +/-. JW was the only other player with a plus @ +1.1. Everyone else was a negative.
I’m not sure why every was ripping on Cook. If anything it was more our guards and wings not being able to handle pressure and feed the post.

He did have a few of his lazy moments on defense but he did protect the rim on a couple of occasions as well.

I’m not sure why every was ripping on Cook. If anything it was more our guards and wings not being able to handle pressure and feed the post.

He did have a few of his lazy moments on defense but he did protect the rim on a couple of occasions as well.
I'll take that stat line from my 4, every game.

I'll take that stat line from my 4, every game.
As long as they can defend their position though right?

Cook was okay, he will need to play better for Iowa to have success. UMKC made it a guards game, which is probably why Iowa struggled so much.

No reason to watch the rest of the season I guess. The basketball evaluators here all say we suck after a game we only won by 14. I guess they're saying the team can't/won't improve as the season goes on. What a shame.

Three thoughts:

1. It's a first game. I think it's hard for fans to gauge where a team is at, so I try to reign in my skepticism and temper my enthusiasm, depending on the performance.

2. Garza didn't play. He may not be our best player, but, I honestly believe he has quickly become the heart and soul of this squad. The team feeds off his hustle and enthusiasm. On a team that's devoid of leaders, his absence will always hurt.

3. I've said it before, but I think one of the biggest issues is that Fran has recruited himself into a corner. He has had his most success running a motion offense using screens and slashes in the halfcourt, and an uptempo running style in the open court. He had some solid success with other programs when he had the right body types for that style. The problem is, his recruiting the last few years has resulted in several bigs - Garza, Kreiner, Nunge, Pemsl, etc., and none of those players suit his preferred style. Combine that with some misses (Moss) and transfers (Williams), and Fran is left with a squad where he's trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

NO this coach is Bad REAL BAD!!! That’s a fact.. Fran again thinks he has 10 or 11 legit starters and he doesn’t. Fran is his own worst enemy and it’s the same ol shit different year it’s honestly downright laughable!!! Iowa would look totally different if he stopped thinking Iowa was an uptempo team and lock in to 5 starters and 3 or 4 true 7 to 10 minute roll players.

Last edited:
Three thoughts:

1. It's a first game. I think it's hard for fans to gauge where a team is at, so I try to reign in my skepticism and temper my enthusiasm, depending on the performance.

2. Garza didn't play. He may not be our best player, but, I honestly believe he has quickly become the heart and soul of this squad. The team feeds off his hustle and enthusiasm. On a team that's devoid of leaders, his absence will always hurt.

3. I've said it before, but I think one of the biggest issues is that Fran has recruited himself into a corner. He has had his most success running a motion offense using screens and slashes in the halfcourt, and an uptempo running style in the open court. He had some solid success with other programs when he had the right body types for that style. The problem is, his recruiting the last few years has resulted in several bigs - Garza, Kreiner, Nunge, Pemsl, etc., and none of those players suit his preferred style. Combine that with some misses (Moss) and transfers (Williams), and Fran is left with a squad where he's trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

Garza did play he played 17 minutes along with 10 others.

Think the Team Mgr got in a couple minutes as well. :cool:

Iowa under Fran is a team without grit, likes to jack up 3 pointers (easier) and avoid hustle (easier) and not play tough in your face defense (easier).

How well this team performs will depend on how much confidence one has in Fran's coaching ability.

JW might be the leader Iowa has been in dire need of. Will the gritless follow?

No reason to watch the rest of the season I guess. The basketball evaluators here all say we suck after a game we only won by 14. I guess they're saying the team can't/won't improve as the season goes on. What a shame.
I’ll still watch every game and hope for improvement, it’s just that we basically saw the same team, or the same things that plagued the team last year last night. Keep in mind this is basically an identical roster. Turnovers, terrible defense, and terrible coaching. Old habits die hard, as they say. I don’t think it will be the last time we see that movie this year with Iowa basketball unfortunately.

Iowa under Fran is a team without grit, likes to jack up 3 pointers (easier) and avoid hustle (easier) and not play tough in your face defense (easier).

How well this team performs will depend on how much confidence one has in Fran's coaching ability.

JW might be the leader Iowa has been in dire need of. Will the gritless follow?
What I think you’re touching on is something we’ve noticed in this group the last two years. These guys just don’t have the mental makeup of a winning team.

Cook’s end game has always been pro ball. Last year you have Kriener and Pemsl saying social media bullies hurt them, you have Bohannon thinking he’s Aaron Rodgers telling the fan base to relax.

This team loves to talk the talk in the media, but when it comes to walking the walk on the court they usually resort back to what we’ve seen the last few seasons.

What I think you’re touching on is something we’ve noticed in this group the last two years. These guys just don’t have the mental makeup of a winning team.

Cook’s end game has always been pro ball. Last year you have Kriener and Pemsl saying social media bullies hurt them, you have Bohannon thinking he’s Aaron Rodgers telling the fan base to relax.

This team loves to talk the talk in the media, but when it comes to walking the walk on the court they usually resort back to what we’ve seen the last few seasons.
Concur...they are soft, a team that is easily wounded, beaten, head hangers, blamers, excuse makers. No Leadership!

Perhaps JW is the change agent that can lead them.

Three thoughts:

Garza played 17 minutes.

I expect this team to improve. I expect this team to be better than last season's team. How much better is another question.

Which is why everyone is saying that we looked like a bad basketball team, last night. You can't win very many games when 8 of your 10 man rotation gives you negative numbers in the Box +/-.
Those were typical Roy Marble stat lines, especially early in his career when people thought he should be scoring more. But Marble also had decent court vision, and the beneficiary was usually Kevin Gamble, who could slash to the hoop with authority and moved well without the ball (and ended up having the longer NBA career)

Roy was also decent to above average on the other end of the floor and an excellent offensive rebounder, which helped round out his stat lines. Gamble was a below average half court defender, especially when he tried to guard Dennis Hopson, but those teams had enough overall athleticism and firepower to hide that deficiency.

Has any Fran team finished a seson better than they started?
Yes JBo and Cook’s first year they had a tough non conference and finished strong down the stretch almost making the dance. I think it happened a few times in the early years as well.

Garza did play he played 17 minutes along with 10 others.

Think the Team Mgr got in a couple minutes as well. :cool:
Was Garza the one that had surgery? I hadn't heard what it was for or when hen he would be back. Must not have been that serious? Glad he's back if it WAS him, like his hustle!