This team is bad...

I think you’re not understanding the point you’re tying to make about trying to balance out betting when a team fails to cover by 9 points.
Dude it doesn’t matter if Iowa covered. At one point we had the ball up 17. Had we closed out the game on a +7 to cover the spread I still would say Iowa played like crap.

The lines right now are like throwing a dart, nobody knows much about these teams.

I think you’re not understanding the point you’re tying to make about trying to balance out betting when a team fails to cover by 9 points.

Hey if you want to say we weren't even close to covering so we obviously suck, I'd let that go. But when you say "we played a bad team and didn't cover so we suck", that's just too dumb to let go.

Dude it doesn’t matter if Iowa covered. At one point we had the ball up 17. Had we closed out the game on a +7 to cover the spread I still would say Iowa played like crap.

The lines right now are like throwing a dart, nobody knows much about these teams.

They made a stupid bank in 3 at the half and an even stupider over the head scoop shot at the end of the game. There's 5 of the 9 points right there. And you're right, if they miss those and we make a couple more baskets, we cover and still look like shot. Who cares?

They made a stupid bank in 3 at the half and an even stupider over the head scoop shot at the end of the game. There's 5 of the 9 points right there. And you're right, if they miss those and we make a couple more baskets, we cover and still look like shot. Who cares?
Yeah. If you just don’t count some of the points they scored, we covered!!!

Yeah. If you just don’t count some of the points they scored, we covered!!!
Dude.... since when is covering the barometer of a team?

Iowa could have been up 30 all game and put in the walk-ons who then gave up an 8-0 run to not cover. If the team played really well and they didn’t cover would you still be parading around here talking about how they didn’t cover?

Give it up man you are making yourself look foolish.

How many NoBeers have you had tonight?

It's just not a very talented roster. It is what it is.

I will say that Wieskamp is a stud, kid is just a BB player. That rebound slam really showed off his athleticism.

I do agree about the roster, it just doesn't have much high end talent. We might have 4 players that would get significant minutes on other B1G rosters. Jordan, Cook, Wieskamp and Garza. I don't think Iowa has any other players that would even make the rotation on any team that will finish in the top 1/2 of the B1G.

Same team different year. Can't stop the penetration, can't penetrate. Bohannan settling for 35 Footers. Five ball handlers at guard that are below average dribblers. None that can dribbler drive, and all are set jump shooters. I could go on for another four or five paragraphs, but the bottom line is I don't see any players making any major breakthroughs. Wisecamp is good, but if we can't get him the ball what's it matter? Same old same old on defense, slow to close out and running into players when they do. Where did Moss go again? No consistentcy. Dailey is our best onball defender but he struggles running the offense. I really expected a well oiled machine with the experience we return but at times I thought UMKC had a better game plan and better athletes. What is this team GOOD at and what are they trying to do on offense? Fran better figure out a game plan to fit the players he has, this is not an up-tempo team, plodding is more the word that comes to mind.

Same team different year. Can't stop the penetration, can't penetrate. Bohannan settling for 35 Footers. Five ball handlers at guard that are below average dribblers. None that can dribbler drive, and all are set jump shooters. I could go on for another four or five paragraphs, but the bottom line is I don't see any players making any major breakthroughs. Wisecamp is good, but if we can't get him the ball what's it matter? Same old same old on defense, slow to close out and running into players when they do. Where did Moss go again? No consistentcy. Dailey is our best onball defender but he struggles running the offense. I really expected a well oiled machine with the experience we return but at times I thought UMKC had a better game plan and better athletes. What is this team GOOD at and what are they trying to do on offense? Fran better figure out a game plan to fit the players he has, this is not an up-tempo team, plodding is more the word that comes to mind.

Well the season is extremely young and it would be natural for any team to make improvements so I think we need to be fair and give this team a chance to gel and improvement. Keep in mind as I say this most of you know that I have already stated about three years ago that I didn’t think Fran has what it takes as a coach to be able to win in our conference. He plays so many players because it’s a gimmick to cover for the lack of talent he recruits. He will have a player here and there that are pretty good but it appears that he can’t put together enough good players at one time to seriously compete or win a Big Ten championship. If he doesn’t make big strides this year then it’s over,

His contract hurts Iowa’s chances to get a new coach even if he bombs again this season. He does have just enough talent this year to possible make strides possibly enough to even squeak into the tournament as a bubble team. If he doesn’t do that then I would guess Barta is gone. Fran gets one more year after that and then he is gone. UNLESS these players make BIG strides and surprise all of us. Nothing is impossible and I would love to see it happen as a die hard Iowa Hawkeye fan. I would absolutely love it. I’d rather be totally wrong and look like a clueless fan and get to totally enjoy the season and many more seasons afterwards with Fran at the helm. We shall see what happens. For now I am totally cheering on the players and the coaches. GO HAWKS GO!!!

Last edited:
I think this is a good team, and they showed that they can win games in multiple ways. It was not the best shooting day, but they played aggressively. They rebounded well, forced the opponent to foul, and played good team defense. That’s a formula to win many games, and on better shooting days they will be outstanding. This is a very talented roster, and now that they are more experienced they are playing better as a team. I am looking forward to this season very much.

the most disheartening thing of the night was when UMKC stole a ball early in the second half and cook could've run the dude down and stuffed him at the rim or fouled him hard and instead he just dogged it and gave up an easy layup. Fran immediately pulled all the starters....which was the right move...but it just proved that Cook does not give a flying F about hustle or anything else...he only cares about himself and his numbers

Its the first game of the year, it's actually a perfect game, things noticed to work on. Wieskamp played well. plenty to build on.
Agree. Sucess a step at a time. And WELL Sat...Next STEP to 10 wins no? Go Very Tough Hawk Players. Ptc Nate to Noah...

the most disheartening thing of the night was when UMKC stole a ball early in the second half and cook could've run the dude down and stuffed him at the rim or fouled him hard and instead he just dogged it and gave up an easy layup. Fran immediately pulled all the starters....which was the right move...but it just proved that Cook does not give a flying F about hustle or anything else...he only cares about himself and his numbers

I noticed this as well. Cook could have easily stuffed the crap out of him but instead gave up and let the dude make an easy layup. Cook surprisingly did end up with 3 blocks on the night, a career high for him. He only had 31 blocks in his career coming into the game. So I guess that is a nice improvement to see that he's contesting more shots but still getting lazy as noted with the layup given up.

He doesn’t know what it means. There is no explanation to why he is parading around here that Iowa didn’t cover. It’s likely that 50% of the favorites didn’t cover, that’s how betting works.
He knows what it means. He just bet on Iowa to cover and lost. That's why he's ranting on three basketball threads and even taking it to the football boards.

It's sad when I see eighth graders do what Cook didn't.

Sounds like Fran wasn't happy with effort on a couple occasions

He shouldn't have to be pulling the entire lineup at this stage.

16 turnovers, 11 steals by KC and only +2 in rebounds. that pretty much tells you what happened. Lets hope we can correct that stuff and win more than we lose.

Dude.... since when is covering the barometer of a team?

Iowa could have been up 30 all game and put in the walk-ons who then gave up an 8-0 run to not cover. If the team played really well and they didn’t cover would you still be parading around here talking about how they didn’t cover?

Give it up man you are making yourself look foolish.

How many NoBeers have you had tonight?
I already said its an eyeball test issue.

The way Joe has played his first 2 games, I would think I'd feel better about this season but I don't.

I keep thinking Moss has talent and will put it together but he just doesn't. I also thought Nunge was going to be a key player coming off the bench.

I've never bought in to Cook. He's a good offensive talent but he just doesn't have much impact on D and I'm not sure how much of a leader or just a winners or maybe better described a not willing to lose type attitude.

I will say that Wieskamp is a stud, kid is just a BB player. That rebound slam really showed off his athleticism.

I do agree about the roster, it just doesn't have much high end talent. We might have 4 players that would get significant minutes on other B1G rosters. Jordan, Cook, Wieskamp and Garza. I don't think Iowa has any other players that would even make the rotation on any team that will finish in the top 1/2 of the B1G.
JW is a stud. I knew he was going to be a difference maker. I'll take every difference maker we can get at this point. We don't have very many.

The way Joe has played his first 2 games, I would think I'd feel better about this season but I don't.

I keep thinking Moss has talent and will put it together but he just doesn't. I also thought Nunge was going to be a key player coming off the bench.

I've never bought in to Cook. He's a good offensive talent but he just doesn't have much impact on D and I'm not sure how much of a leader or just a winners or maybe better described a not willing to lose type attitude.
I’m totally with you. I found myself pretty much throwing in the towel on the season midway through the first half last night. With No Nunge and Fran looking like he is going to play Cmac, Pemsl, and Kriener every night this could be another long season.

It stinks too because we have Weiskamp who is showing so much promise.