This season is officially a failure

I have always said that Northwestern was the game I feared most. It kind of makes Ohio State moot.

OSU means nothing next week. Kind of how PSU meant in 08. Nothing on the line except pride. Of course that's how Iowa wants it. We do so much better when games mean nothing.

This season is a disappointment, but i think a Capital One or Outback bowl isnt all that bad. Especially if we face Alabama or Florida.

Iowa isn't going to either of these bowls, particularly after they are destroyed next week.

Right now, I am concerned about whether this team will quit against Minnesota like the 2007 team did with Western Michigan.

Then again...this team DESERVES to be 7-5.

I'll second that OSU will demolish this out of shape defense

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner!!!! When the starting D-line only plays half of the plays in the 4th quarter you are in trouble. Why on earth are they so out of shape???? Granted this was an up-tempo offense, but by no means was it no huddle. Pathetic.

Iowa isn't going to either of these bowls, particularly after they are destroyed next week.

Right now, I am concerned about whether this team will quit against Minnesota like the 2007 team did with Western Michigan.

What bowl are they going to then?

I'm sure we'll still get an invite to the Alamo bowl - maybe end up playing a 6-6 Texas team.

We'd better get our **** straight before OSU comes to town and lays the wood.

This season is a disappointment, but i think a Capital One or Outback bowl isnt all that bad. Especially if we face Alabama or Florida.

Hoping they beat OSU, play a 2nd tier SEC school and get to 10 wins.......And salvage something.

If they win out then the season won't be a total failure and I'll be happy. If they lose any more then one more than it will officially be the most disappointing and under-performing Iowa team I've ever followed. Next week will tell us A LOT about this team. What's surprising is that I'm probably one of the most pessimistic fans there are, but I actually have faith that they can beat OSU, then they'll have their confidence back. Just look at how PSU is taking it to them right now. But then again, we can't seem to beat OSU. Just like ******* NW.

And another 91yd drive for the winning score.

Agree with this post. I was at the game. We had all the momentum....ball on the 9...4:04 left....and they scored with 1:22 remaining. Bad. Really bad.

Yes...this season, with this team and talent, is a failure. You can't spin it any other way really.

Sigh.

Last edited:

long time lurker, first time poster. I'm hoping this statement is simply a way to deal with your emotions. If you truly mean this, you are completely discounting the effort put forth by this team. We as fans don't have that right, IMO.

Am I upset about the loss? Absolutely. Did we fall flat on our face today? Absolutely. Is this any specific player's\coach's loss? No. This was straight up a team loss and it hurts.

I'm not going into next week expecting a win but anything is possible at this point.

Agree with this post. I was at the game. We had all the momentum....ball on the 91...4:04 left....and they scored with 1:22 remaining. Bad. Really bad.

Yes...this season, with this team and talent, is a failure. You can't spin it any other way really.

Sigh.

This is truly the biggest point and the whole reason we have three losses instead one or even none. Our D overall is good, and statistically that shows. But what doesn't show on the stat sheet is our D when we actually need them, and they have failed every time.

I will never get my hopes up again for an Iowa team that is supposed to be great. It is such a let down. This defense has been disappointing all season, and Stanzi in the clutch has been just pathetic. Special teams are just God awful. They were playing for a chance at a BCS bowl and possibly a Big 10 championship, and this is the effort we get from coaches and players alike. Just plain pathetic.

This hit the nail on the head for me... I give up. This is such a terrible feeling, I have to learn from it and never expect them to achieve a elite status (even for a year) ever again. :mad:

Agree with this post. I was at the game. We had all the momentum....ball on the 91...4:04 left....and they scored with 1:22 remaining. Bad. Really bad.

Sigh.

Agree. Only way this season is looked at in positive light is IF they win out and finish at 10-3 with a bowl win. Looks very doubtful at this point.

Agree. Only way this season is looked at in positive light is IF they win out and finish at 10-3 with a bowl win. Looks very doubtful at this point.

Positive in who's eyes? Last year we grind it out and manage to win the close games and have one of the greatest seasons in hawkeye history. This year even with the majority of the team back and higher expectations we manage to lose some of the close ones and all of a sudden we're willing to write this team off and label them a disappointment. Maybe its time for us to take off the blinders that led to such high (possibly unattainable) expectations and just sit back and support the team that goes out on the field week after week trying to prove something to us.

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner!!!! When the starting D-line only plays half of the plays in the 4th quarter you are in trouble. Why on earth are they so out of shape???? Granted this was an up-tempo offense, but by no means was it no huddle. Pathetic.

because they were on the field virtually the entire game? :confused:
our O mounted what, one time-consuming drive? other than that, our D was out their fighting for their lives
I totally understand why they were gassed in Q4

Interesting stat - NW had only 2 min more possession time than the Hawks per ESPN, 31:09 vs. 28:51.

Latest posts