This season is officially a failure

I will never get my hopes up again for an Iowa team that is supposed to be great. It is such a let down. This defense has been disappointing all season, and Stanzi in the clutch has been just pathetic. Special teams are just God awful. They were playing for a chance at a BCS bowl and possibly a Big 10 championship, and this is the effort we get from coaches and players alike. Just plain pathetic.

Don't worry, Jon should be by shortly with a big pitcher of kool-aid and tell us how, statistically, this is one of the best Iowa teams of all time. Or how Persa is the most accurate passer we will face all season. Or how Northwestern's O-line is the best since Iowa's in 2002. Or how the Iowa defense is designed to give up 18 play drives for 91 yards, so we shouldn't be upset with the defense. Blah, blah, blah.

Spin it however you want, but it's 1997 all over again.

This is sick! The announcers kept saying the defense was tired. What? We are suppose to be playing like a rated team. And we are too tired to play sucessfully. Well our 3 million dollar a year coach needs to come up with some ideas. I am predicting 42-17 Ohio State. It embarassing.

Officially disappointing for me. Defense can't stop long game winning drives to save their life. Looks like they need to up their cardio, not their weights in the weight room!!

Not sure if the season is a failure, but the NW series has become a total mismatch of scheme and emotion. Hats off to NW. This was not an upset. Go Hawks the rest of the way!

And another 91yd drive for the winning score.

Exactly.. Our defense bent and broke back-to-back possessions, and has pretty consistently done so this year when the chips are down in the 4th quarter. This loss was no accident.. Our win (or non-loss) against Indiana last week WAS.

Not that I've been happy with our offense the last two weeks, though. We STILL could have put points on the board and/or killed the clock when NW got to within 3, but it was one first down and then a punt, with plenty of time for NW to drive for the winning score.

Reality - Iowa is a 'close to the vest team' - check last 3 years, how many come down to final plays; + or - ... you will win some, lose some - play enough of them and they even out. Our 'young' O-Line looked young today against bigger and more experienced.

NW scores 21 - just like last week v. Penn St.

Let's face it, Iowa's play of late has been extremely poor. Good teams keep improving throughout the season, need I say more? Iowa is as good as their record states, they are not a championship caliber team and anyone that thought they were now knows otherwise.

fosu is going to absolutely crush us next saturday
I think the Hawkeyes are demoralized and have given up. What baffles me is WHY.
We'll be lucky to beat minnesota, if this same fire-less team shows up

I'll go onrecord with 35-10 fOSU next weeks. We MAY be able to squeek one out against Minny. Dead right on the fire-less thing, pathetic.

We don't deserve a trip to Florida. This is absolutely sickning. You're going to see a lot of tickets being scalped for next week. Too bad I already won a bid for Minny tickets on eBay. What a waste of money.

I'm so effing p!ssed off at this crappy effort, that I'm seriously thinking about dumping my Ohio State tickets and going to watch my high school alma mater D-NH play in the State Championship game next weekend instead. At least they have shown great heart and desire the last two weeks in taking out two undefeated teams in a row to get to the title game. Iowa looks like they don't even give a damn anymore.

After 11 years of the same old same old - this coachin staff needs to tweak something. We have had a some great years but its time to step it up. We regressed this year.

We are missing something somewhere that not letting us be as good as we should be. They need to figure it out, because they really blew it this year.

Don't worry, Jon should be by shortly with a big pitcher of kool-aid and tell us how, statistically, this is one of the best Iowa teams of all time. Or how Persa is the most accurate passer we will face all season. Or how Northwestern's O-line is the best since Iowa's in 2002. Or how the Iowa defense is designed to give up 18 play drives for 91 yards, so we shouldn't be upset with the defense. Blah, blah, blah.

Spin it however you want, but it's 1997 all over again.

This was good, but I know Jon is probably more disappointed than anyone since he actually thought this Iowa team had a chance to run the table. It's fine for him to feel as he does, he's the ultimate fan but for many of us we never allowed our hopes to be raised to that level because we know better, given what we have seen before.

I'll go on record also for the rest of the season. OSU 55 Iowa 10. Minnesota 35-Iowa 3 No bowl this year....we don't deserve a bowl this year at all.

After 11 years of the same old same old - this coachin staff needs to tweak something. We have had a some great years but its time to step it up. We regressed this year.

We are missing something somewhere that not letting us be as good as we should be. They need to figure it out, because they really blew it this year.

I can agree that something needs to change. But KF's overall philosiphy will never change, and i can live with that. If that means we are the top half of the Big Ten every year and have a chance to win the title more years than not.

the problem is our schemes. I think the style of defense is fine, until later in the game when we know the other team is going to pass.

When we play these spread teams, they have so many options. It's tough for our defense to get sacks on 3-5 step drops.

So why do we continue to play this style when the game dictates other? Why not go into a nickle or dime defense? Even if our NB and DB that we bring in aren't that good, it has to be somewhat better than having our slow LB's play coverage.

We don't have a Greenway or Edds every year, so why scheme like we do? It also didn't help that the refs decided to not call any penalties for holding. Clayborn, and Daniels especially were dragged down multiple times during the drives today.

And the play call for the deep pass after the INT is horrible, and double horrible on Stanzi for actually trying it. Pathetic.

I don't care what "stats" Jon brings into here to quiet down the base. The fact is Iowa plays too close to the vest. Yes it keeps us in almost every game, but it allows the bad teams to stick with us too.

When you play so tight, and wait for someone else to make a mistake, we usually make the mistake.

We have the players, and the depth for once to be able to do what WI just did to Indiana. Maybe not score 83 points, as that's a bit douchey, but why couldn't Iowa get 60 against them?

And i'm tired of seeing other teams come up with plays and Iowa doesn't....why is it when we need a sack, we can't get it. why is it when other team needs a sack, they get it?

It's because of our schemes.

I feel sorry for the players cause they gave it their all. Time and time again they're being asked to play perfect, rather than be put in good positions.

It will be hard for the team to suck it up for the last two games. I predict that they lose them both. Iowa does not deserve to ranked. They do not show championship qualities. Adam Robinson did a great job as usual. We have a few good ones, but we need a TEAM EFFORT!

I have always said that Northwestern was the game I feared most. It kind of makes Ohio State moot.

Latest posts