This program is kind of a disaster....

HawksMN

Over the years, late season swoons have taken over almost without fail. Players lazy and quitting out there. Fran doing Fran things and getting kicked out of games and/or suspended. Inept assistants. What is it about Iowa that makes them want to just stand pat on this crap?

We've made the tournament 4 out of the last 6 years with one year being first 4 out. That's far from disastrous.

It is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRR from disastrous - it is also far from being great. It's just kind of in the middle. Unfortunately they way things are unfolding this season is becoming way to familiar for me and I am not loving it. That doesn't mean that I think we're a disaster, just not excelling when I think we should be. Iowa still has opportunity in front of them and I will be cheering for them to at least put up a fight and try and maximize it.

Over the years, late season swoons have taken over almost without fail. Players lazy and quitting out there. Fran doing Fran things and getting kicked out of games and/or suspended. Inept assistants. What is it about Iowa that makes them want to just stand pat on this crap?
AD

It is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRR from disastrous - it is also far from being great. It's just kind of in the middle. Unfortunately they way things are unfolding this season is becoming way to familiar for me and I am not loving it. That doesn't mean that I think we're a disaster, just not excelling when I think we should be. Iowa still has opportunity in front of them and I will be cheering for them to at least put up a fight and try and maximize it.

4 out of 6 is probably above average. But due to the seeds we've had in those 4, not much above.

We've made the tournament 4 out of the last 6 years with one year being first 4 out. That's far from disastrous.
Where I’m kind of at with it is that making the tournament this year earns Fran next season, but nothing additional in terms of goodwill.

If next season is just another up and down high seed tourney team I’m thinking I’ll lean towards get rid of Fran (which is surprising making the dance two years in a row if that happens). It seems like he needs to do something more. Maybe Joe T and Pat will look like the real deal and we land Foster and another promising kid in 2020. I don’t know, just seems we need some sort of positivity that makes us think we can take it to another level.

Should the bar be raised? We have made the tournament and lost early. I would think we should look at what the program is and what is the expectation. I would think tournament every year, and to win at least a game every year, maybe 2. Isn't that where Iowa should be?
I would say tournament 4 out of every 5. Second weekend at least 1 out of every 5.

Should the bar be raised? We have made the tournament and lost early. I would think we should look at what the program is and what is the expectation. I would think tournament every year, and to win at least a game every year, maybe 2. Isn't that where Iowa should be?
What bar?

I get the making the Dance thing. But half those years, Hawks were backing their asses into the Dance and were made a big example in the First Four game. And it could happen again this year.

I guess my post was aiming at perception. Iowa right now, is perceived as weak, lazy, disinterested, fading, and in Frans case, insane.

Just a quick comparison to Mr. Davis:

He made the tourney 69% of the time, but he made at least the 2nd weekend every time (2 sweet 16s & 1 elite 8). So, that's basically 7 out of every 10 (3.5 out of every 5).

3.5 every 5 years seems about right. One of those times need to be a top 4 seed or better. I think the past 7 years, Fran has had us almost exactly where I expect, with the highs being a little too low. If he would have won 2 more games in two out of the three years he tanked late, he would be right at my expectations.

That said, I think he deserves a little leeway based on how low the program was when he took over. Its one thing to raise a program up to expectations for a short period of time. It's another to sustain it. I think that's what happened the last two years. Fran got us back to respectable, but recruiting to a shitty program was too difficult at the time. Hence the last 2 senior classes. Recruiting seems to be better now so we shall see if he can maintain success and hopefully build on it.

I get the making the Dance thing. But half those years, Hawks were backing their asses into the Dance and were made a big example in the First Four game. And it could happen again this year.

I guess my post was aiming at perception. Iowa right now, is perceived as weak, lazy, disinterested, fading, and in Frans case, insane.

But its only been perceived that way for a week. It's been perceived as pretty darn good for the entire year before this last week.

Fran's overall B10 record to-date 78-85 (.479).
Discounting his first year his B10 record 74-71 (.510)
His last four years, his B10 record is 36-37 (.493)

This seems pretty "average" to me.
Is this acceptable to y'all?

Last edited:
Fran's overall B10 record to date is 78-85 (.479).
Discounting his first year his B10 record is 74-71 (.510)
His last four years, his B10 record is 36-37 (.493)

This seems pretty "average" to me.
Is this acceptable to y'all on this board?

Him tanking one year terribly is something that's not acceptable. But to tank that bad one year and stil be around .500 over the last 4 is actually encouraging. He needs to do something pretty darn good before he has another season like last year if he wants to survive it.

And the recruiting is improving. Wieskamp is the best player on the team. Patrick is highly regarded. Hopefully the upgrade in talent leads to more postseason success.

Latest posts