This program is kind of a disaster....

Yes I agree with you about the offensive efficiency and lowering turnovers. But it seems most of Fran's teams come out running and gunning, scoring well in non-conf and thru the first half of the Big 10 season. Then just like pitchers and hitters get a book on each other, and defenses get a book on what types of passes a QB is bad or good at, it seems coaches and players around the Big 10 start shutting he hawk offense down in Feb. The players and coaches start to get the book on what Iowa is doing and what the strengths and weaknesses of each player. It is the smart thing to do. If a player is not a great 3 point shooter you can play off of them and clog up the offense, if they dribble better one way then take that away, if they dont like getting bodied up then do that and frustrate them.

I would say that what is needed is for the coaching staff to have more alternate cuts, screens, etc to put in the offense the second half of the season.

Defense is defense, you have to have super concentration, skills to see the ball and your player at the same time, great footwork and anticipation to beat the other player to a spot and recover when a player starts to get by you. You can tell great defensive players by how the recover when other players get beat and let up on the play.

I don't get how all these great coaches need to wait 2/3 of the year before they "figure us out" when we are basically the same team as we were last year.

I would argue that under Mr. Davis I always felt we had a chance. If not for the bad luck Mr. Davis seemed to have where he played the eventual NC, his record would have been even more impressive. Not a single team of Fran has made me believe they could make through the weekend. The only team I believed in was the team that lost to Tennessee.

I would argue that other than Davis's first years, I've thought the 3 good Fran teams have had more of a chance. The team you mentioned had a great shot of going to the elite 8 with the path they had set up. The next team was on a roll late and had the biggest 10/7 blowout in the history of the tournament. The next one got up to number 3 in the nation and had beaten a team ranked number 1 for a lot of the year twice.

So basically Iowa under Fran has been on the margins as the 64th to 68th best team in the land four out of six years, lower in the other two, and you’re satisfied with that?

Wow. Mediocre much?

That's pretty impressive to have that short of a post be stupid in 3 different ways. First off, two of the years were 7 seeds which is closer to top 30. Second off, bubble teams aren't top 64-68 type teams. They're closer to top 40ish. Third off, my post had nothing to do with what I'm ok with. All I did was point out it wasn't "disastrous".

I don't get how all these great coaches need to wait 2/3 of the year before they "figure us out" when we are basically the same team as we were last year.

Basically the same, maybe Garza was using some new moves around the lane, Weiskamp is new and has been up and down scoring wise a lot of the year and maybe the book is getting written on him for this year.

Weiskamp has the skills and all around game to go find his shot, not worried about him in the next 3 years.

Can Fran turn Garza and Nunge into a Kaminsky type player moving them in and out from the rim to create mismatches, 3 pointers, and easy shots at the rim??

Moss has some offensive skills but I havent watched enough of his dribbling with both hands. I have seen tape of him going to the rim but is it usually only with his right hand?

JBo, they need to set screens and plays early for him to get his shots off.

We could use some muscle inside, maybe Pemsl and someone else could help that.

Tyler Cook's handles are not that good for the next level, he needs to develop an 8-15 foot jump shot, and he needs to become Reggie Evans-esque on the boards. I see Tyler coming back next year but who knows.

But in the end the hawks will be middle to third place in the Big until they get a dynamic two way pt guard. Period, end of statement.

He needs to. Not near strong enough to be effective in BIG conference play. I saw non D1 high school kids push him around this winter.

There are non D1 high school kids that are stronger than some senior in college D1 kids. Just because a kid isn't a good enough player to play D1 doesn't mean he's not strong. Also, for all we know, Patrick is stronger than most players 20 pounds heavier than him. Strength and size go hand in hand to an extent. But it's not an exact science.

Basically the same, maybe Garza was using some new moves around the lane, Weiskamp is new and has been up and down scoring wise a lot of the year and maybe the book is getting written on him for this year.

Weiskamp has the skills and all around game to go find his shot, not worried about him in the next 3 years.

Can Fran turn Garza and Nunge into a Kaminsky type player moving them in and out from the rim to create mismatches, 3 pointers, and easy shots at the rim??

Moss has some offensive skills but I havent watched enough of his dribbling with both hands. I have seen tape of him going to the rim but is it usually only with his right hand?

JBo, they need to set screens and plays early for him to get his shots off.

We could use some muscle inside, maybe Pemsl and someone else could help that.

Tyler Cook's handles are not that good for the next level, he needs to develop an 8-15 foot jump shot, and he needs to become Reggie Evans-esque on the boards. I see Tyler coming back next year but who knows.

But in the end the hawks will be middle to third place in the Big until they get a dynamic two way pt guard. Period, end of statement.

They were a couple baskets away from a big 10 title (misses by the other team even) without a dynamic point guard. The margin for error is less without a star point guard. But you can still win without one.

We've made the tournament 4 out of the last 6 years with one year being first 4 out. That's far from disastrous.
You're correct LickLiter was disastrous so we know what that looks like. You are incorrect on your 4 for 6 in the NCAA its actually 3 NIT 3NCAA appearances and one total debacle last year no tourney of any kind.

Latest posts