This Is What Was Squandered Away

Ya really can't say anything was squandered. They were never going to win the B1G - so IMO, that's the only thing squandered as of now. They didn't win the B1G. :( I was hoping tho. You never know what's going to transpire in the dance. If Iowa played itself into a 3 or 4 seed - but lost ala Northwestern State, what's it matter? Now, they are a 9 or a 10 and what if some other upset in the bracket happens and somehow opens the door for Iowa to advance? Nothing has been squandered as long as Iowa still plays next week. What's squandered is Iowa fan's hope, Iowa basketball's confidence and Iowa's seed in a crap shoot tournament where match ups matter more than anything else. Right now it seems unlikely Iowa is going to do anything worth while this post season. What would the scenario be if Iowa was in position to be a great seed in the dance and got upset? Anything can happen in a 1 and done scenario is basically what I am saying. As long as they get into the NCAA, can't really say anything was squandered other than Iowa didn't win the B1G.

I'm not superstitious about much but I am when it comes to basketball luck. I kind of cringed when we won those games on buzzer beaters because I felt like we didn't want to get all of our lucky breaks before the end of the season. I felt that meant we would be on the losing end of those breaks, come tournament time. Maybe now it's evened up a little and we won't get bad luck going forward. Maybe.
Just like how we used up a lot of our shooting mojo in the Illinois game, we couldn't miss!

mopkins is correct, 8/9 seed winner plays the #1seed if they advance, 7-10 seed plays the @#2 seed if they win. Of course, the way we are playing, it won't really matter.

By now we're used to getting destroyed in the second round. Bring on Duke so we can lose by 30 again.

When we were 9-5 we were in 6th place in the B1G. We go 1-5 to close out the B1G and finish in 6th place. We were right there in the upper echelon of the B1G this season and puked all over ourselves. If we'd finished 5-1 / 14-6, we'd have finished 4th. WOW
If Tyler Cook could make a free throw we beat Nebraska . I hope he leaves

you do realize that we are playing probably the worst basketball of any team in the B1G right now, right? If we had taken care of business, we'd have finished 4th. That is a double bye and would have kept us in play for perhaps a #4 seed in the NCAA. Now, while i believe we're still in the NCAA, we are at risk of being a #9 seed.

And please, i've been a staunch defender of fran, particularly, last season. but, at some point you have to understand that "it is what it is" and be honest with yourself. the honesty in this season is that we've fallen apart and that is the responsibility of the HC.

lastly, why is it always iowa's fate to endure the statistically impossible shooting performances? i'm going to assume you watched the entire game. did you happen to notice that iowa never changed up their defense and went underneath the screens, instead of over the top, and allowed watson wide open and uncontested shots? we "let" watson make 7 3 ptrs. if we defend him just once in regulation and cause one of those 7 makes to be a miss, we win. the point is we did not change how we defended the screen and kept leaving him wide open.
I guess to me the seedings and all that crap don't mean that much to me. Either the season's nearly over and we lose out, and we got all the time in the world to bash this team or we support the players for the next two weeks and try to enjoy what's left of the season. I think the Hawks played the percentages at the end of the game and for the most part made the right moves. 9 of 10 made free throws is NOT chocking! Go out anytime and try to make 4 consecutive 3 pointers while bringing the ball up in under 60 seconds. Tell me how many attempts it took ya. I was at work so I listened to the game. Unless the new announcer is worse than Dolph, he reported all 4 shots were "tough" shots. I have never been a Fran guy, and never bought into this team as being a great team. I have detailed their shortcomings all year and appreciated their improvement. Our complaining isn't gonna make this team more physical, or play better defense, or mentally tougher. I suggest everyone take a chill pill this week and root for a few miracles. If things end badly we meet back here with a sock and a bar of soap.

I guess to me the seedings and all that crap don't mean that much to me. Either the season's nearly over and we lose out, and we got all the time in the world to bash this team or we support the players for the next two weeks and try to enjoy what's left of the season. I think the Hawks played the percentages at the end of the game and for the most part made the right moves. 9 of 10 made free throws is NOT chocking! Go out anytime and try to make 4 consecutive 3 pointers while bringing the ball up in under 60 seconds. Tell me how many attempts it took ya. I was at work so I listened to the game. Unless the new announcer is worse than Dolph, he reported all 4 shots were "tough" shots. I have never been a Fran guy, and never bought into this team as being a great team. I have detailed their shortcomings all year and appreciated their improvement. Our complaining isn't gonna make this team more physical, or play better defense, or mentally tougher. I suggest everyone take a chill pill this week and root for a few miracles. If things end badly we meet back here with a sock and a bar of soap.

Iowa blew a 16 point lead in the 2nd half against Nebraska, that's a textbook choke job. There's no sugarcoating it, no rationalizing it. You can have stats paint a rosy picture if you want but in the end, it was a choke job.

Latest posts