This Is What Was Squandered Away

ArvadaHawk

When we were 9-5 we were in 6th place in the B1G. We go 1-5 to close out the B1G and finish in 6th place. We were right there in the upper echelon of the B1G this season and puked all over ourselves. If we'd finished 5-1 / 14-6, we'd have finished 4th. WOW

When we were 9-5 we were in 6th place in the B1G. We go 1-5 to close out the B1G and finish in 6th place. We were right there in the upper echelon of the B1G this season and puked all over ourselves. If we'd finished 5-1 / 14-6, we'd have finished 4th. WOW

So weirdly we actually didn't squander much other than NCAA seed.

Surely you guys can see that our NCAA draw has become exponentially worse the past couple weeks. If we even get in.

Our seeding has to be dropping like a rock.

The Butgers loss really killed our NCAA seeding. Losing badly to OSU and Wisconsin hurt too but losing badly to one of the worst teams in the conference at home dropped us like a rock.

Last edited:
Surely you guys can see that our NCAA draw has become exponentially worse the past couple weeks. If we even get in.

Our seeding has to be dropping like a rock.

We were a 5 seed at one time. Currently a 9 according to Lunardi, new one comes out soon. [Espn Bracketology] We will drop to a 10, maybe 11. We are playing our way out. Its a damn good thing the regular season is over!

7-10 seed doesn't really matter in the end. Personally I'd rather be a 10 seed than an 8 or 9

mopkins is correct, 8/9 seed winner plays the #1seed if they advance, 7-10 seed plays the @#2 seed if they win. Of course, the way we are playing, it won't really matter.

Clearly you don't understand the concept of opportunity cost.

We were a 5 seed at one time. Currently a 9 according to Lunardi, new one comes out soon. [Espn Bracketology] We will drop to a 10, maybe 11. We are playing our way out. Its a damn good thing the regular season is over!
And a 7 by Palm. 8 by SBnation. Who knows. Don't know if i care much right now.

We lost nothing, we either are gonna win this week or not. Seeding be dammed! Let's save the pitchforks for after this week. Support this team. I liked the play of this team today, it's just unfortunate the gods of fate decided to screw Iowa over with a statistically impossible shooting performance.

And a 7 by Palm. 8 by SBnation. Who knows. Don't know if i care much right now.

I'm right there with ya. too many inconsistent gms, bad "D" the entire year, 20 points + blowouts [to really bad teams], offense left on the bus, etc...
However,
we did witness some fight tonight vs Neb. Coulda, shoulda won, lost a close game. IF we can maintain it, we COULD make a small run in both tourneys. I think we'd all be happy winning 2 games and 2 games. That would take the bitterness out.

We lost nothing, we either are gonna win this week or not. Seeding be dammed! Let's save the pitchforks for after this week. Support this team. I liked the play of this team today, it's just unfortunate the gods of fate decided to screw Iowa over with a statistically impossible shooting performance.

you do realize that we are playing probably the worst basketball of any team in the B1G right now, right? If we had taken care of business, we'd have finished 4th. That is a double bye and would have kept us in play for perhaps a #4 seed in the NCAA. Now, while i believe we're still in the NCAA, we are at risk of being a #9 seed.

And please, i've been a staunch defender of fran, particularly, last season. but, at some point you have to understand that "it is what it is" and be honest with yourself. the honesty in this season is that we've fallen apart and that is the responsibility of the HC.

lastly, why is it always iowa's fate to endure the statistically impossible shooting performances? i'm going to assume you watched the entire game. did you happen to notice that iowa never changed up their defense and went underneath the screens, instead of over the top, and allowed watson wide open and uncontested shots? we "let" watson make 7 3 ptrs. if we defend him just once in regulation and cause one of those 7 makes to be a miss, we win. the point is we did not change how we defended the screen and kept leaving him wide open.

I'm not superstitious about much but I am when it comes to basketball luck. I kind of cringed when we won those games on buzzer beaters because I felt like we didn't want to get all of our lucky breaks before the end of the season. I felt that meant we would be on the losing end of those breaks, come tournament time. Maybe now it's evened up a little and we won't get bad luck going forward. Maybe.

So weirdly we actually didn't squander much other than NCAA seed.

other than finishing 4th instead of 6th. a double bye. a recruiting tool (think X. Foster). and a (likely) massive ncaa seeding drop. we could have been in the 3/4 seed range, but now we could be 9 or worse. i wouldn't down play the ncaa seeding drop.

you do realize that we are playing probably the worst basketball of any team in the B1G right now, right? If we had taken care of business, we'd have finished 4th. That is a double bye and would have kept us in play for perhaps a #4 seed in the NCAA. Now, while i believe we're still in the NCAA, we are at risk of being a #9 seed.

And please, i've been a staunch defender of fran, particularly, last season. but, at some point you have to understand that "it is what it is" and be honest with yourself. the honesty in this season is that we've fallen apart and that is the responsibility of the HC.

lastly, why is it always iowa's fate to endure the statistically impossible shooting performances? i'm going to assume you watched the entire game. did you happen to notice that iowa never changed up their defense and went underneath the screens, instead of over the top, and allowed watson wide open and uncontested shots? we "let" watson make 7 3 ptrs. if we defend him just once in regulation and cause one of those 7 makes to be a miss, we win. the point is we did not change how we defended the screen and kept leaving him wide open.
I believe it is a rule at the U of I to not guard the 3 point shot.....it goes back to Mr. Davis. That is the only explanation I can come up with.

other than finishing 4th instead of 6th. a double bye. a recruiting tool (think X. Foster). and a (likely) massive ncaa seeding drop. we could have been in the 3/4 seed range, but now we could be 9 or worse. i wouldn't down play the ncaa seeding drop.

We weren't going to finish 4th. You might as well say we squandered the Big 10 title and a 1 seed in the tournament.

Latest posts