This is not an NCAA team. Why? Our guard play stinks.

It is comic relief reading most of the responses. If you disagree with me, that is perfectly fine, but state a case for your disagreement. You look stupid by shouting people down with differing opinions when the FACTS are not on your side. Until Saturday, Iowa guard play was sketchy at best against legit teams. Why did we lose to ISU, Villanova, Wisconsin and drop games last year? We stalled out in crunch time due to lack of scoring and dribble drive threats outside of Marble. So, you can say I suck, put your full compliment of d-bag vocabulary to use, but you cannot refute that factually, I am right. Yesterday was, in my opinion, one of the best coaching jobs and efforts by players in the last 10 years of Iowa hoops. Can we agree on that?

Why don't you go get a dictionary and search for "fact." I don't know how you claim to be factually correct that Iowa is not a tournament team, but after you do claim that facts are on your side, you promptly present a series of opinions with no facts to support them. Everyone else gives you the numbers and statistics, all of which indicate Iowa is good enough to play in the Sweet 16, and you continue to say how you think the team can't make the tournament and how the guards are bad because they are bad, or because they aren't talented enough. None of those statements are factual at all, let alone factually correct.

I'll give you some facts about guard play since you can't find any on your own. In Iowa's 3 losses this season, Marble and Gesell combined have averaged 33.3 points, 4 steals, 9.3 assists and 3 turnovers per game. Where are the facts that are on your side? As you said, state a case for your disagreement. Don't just say it is because you think it is.

As I stated in my previous post, I will gladly eat at the Crow Buffet today, but one game does not a season make. Let's see how the team responds when Marble isn't playing one of his best games in his career and the opponent doesn't turn it over 17 times. Huge win, period, no disclaimers. However, we play a lot of teams, in my opinion, that will neutralize Marble and attack us with quicker dribble penetration guards. Historically, we have struggled defensively and offensively in these matchups. Having Marble be our best scorer and PG in crunch time is a precarious position to be in, as this team hasn't exactly excelled in these situations. Uthoff, Gesell, White, and Basabe have elevated their games, but we will face tough man-to-man defenses that will test us. For those who responded constructively with differing views, thank you and you raised some very valid points. I think some of you may only read my threads that fit your view of me as a troll or naysayer. Plenty of others out there that are positive.

Uh oh Nudge is back. I have him on my ignore list so I won't know what he has to say unless one of you quotes him...then I'm stuck.

Windsor, why do you comment 800 times to every thread if I am on your ignore list and you think I am stupid? Hmm, perhaps because while you do not agree with me, you acknowledge that I bring a certain flare to this board that has been lacking. For the record, I would at least like you to disrespect me using proper English. I would be the "Nuge" not the "Nudge".

Windsor, why do you comment 800 times to every thread if I am on your ignore list and you think I am stupid? Hmm, perhaps because while you do not agree with me, you acknowledge that I bring a certain flare to this board that has been lacking. For the record, I would at least like you to disrespect me using proper English. I would be the "Nuge" not the "Nudge".

If by flare, you mean being that guy is constantly overly critical of our guard play for some reason? Or the negative Nancy **** that you constantly bring to this board? Or how you can't enjoy a win for a full day before being overly critical again?

And if by lacking you mean **** that we could go without, then yeah, you'd be right.

If by flare, you mean being that guy is constantly overly critical of our guard play for some reason? Or the negative Nancy **** that you constantly bring to this board? Or how you can't enjoy a win for a full day before being overly critical again?

And if by lacking you mean **** that we could go without, then yeah, you'd be right.

Now look what you did. I have to read and I have to reply because I was called out personally.

Yeah, I read all of your posts and 800 of my 1900 plus posts are in your threads. Honestly, I don't look at who starts a thread. I honestly don't think you bring anything positive to the board. I honestly don't think you have "flare." I honestly don't read ANY of your posts unless you're quoted and it's too late.

Finally, what you want is very near the bottom of my list of concerns. You will always be Nudge to me.

I'll give you some facts about guard play since you can't find any on your own. In Iowa's 3 losses this season, Marble and Gesell combined have averaged 33.3 points, 4 steals, 9.3 assists and 3 turnovers per game. Where are the facts that are on your side? As you said, state a case for your disagreement. Don't just say it is because you think it is.

3:1 assist/turnover ratio is considered outstanding, by the way, and it's a key metric of guard play.

In fact Mike Gesell is #21 in the country. For all games played. Because, you know, one game does not a season make.

Assist Turnover Ratio | DI Men's Basketball Statistics - NCAA.com

3:1 assist/turnover ratio is considered outstanding, by the way, and it's a key metric of guard play.

In fact Mike Gesell is #21 in the country. For all games played. Because, you know, one game does not a season make.

Assist Turnover Ratio | DI Men's Basketball Statistics - NCAA.com

That's exactly my point. And averaging close to 17 ppg each is also pretty outstanding. You and me and everyone else can call Nudge an idiot because the stats indicate the guards have been excellent and he has been dead wrong.

edit: Mike is #21 for all games played, and RDM is #82 for all games played at 2.32.

Last edited:
As I stated in my previous post, I will gladly eat at the Crow Buffet today, but one game does not a season make. Let's see how the team responds when Marble isn't playing one of his best games in his career and the opponent doesn't turn it over 17 times. Huge win, period, no disclaimers. However, we play a lot of teams, in my opinion, that will neutralize Marble and attack us with quicker dribble penetration guards. Historically, we have struggled defensively and offensively in these matchups. Having Marble be our best scorer and PG in crunch time is a precarious position to be in, as this team hasn't exactly excelled in these situations. Uthoff, Gesell, White, and Basabe have elevated their games, but we will face tough man-to-man defenses that will test us. For those who responded constructively with differing views, thank you and you raised some very valid points. I think some of you may only read my threads that fit your view of me as a troll or naysayer. Plenty of others out there that are positive.

Have you ever actually watched a basketball game?

So let me get this straight. ..... The only way we make the tournament is if we play good? People all over the world are looking for this kind of analysis.

Pretty much every fan, statistician, coach and analyst has Iowa in the tournament for sure but this Tednugent guy knows something that no one else does.

Unless he's doing some awesome reverse jinx thing. In which case, keep fighting the good fight.

Pretty much every fan, statistician, coach and analyst has Iowa in the tournament for sure but this Tednugent guy knows something that no one else does.

He named himself after Ted Nugent, so enough said. Zero credibility from the get go. Ignorant posts from an ignorant screen name. No one should be surprised.

Let me see if I have this right, Teddy.....We're 14-3, ranked #14 in the country, and have nationally respected basketball analysts talking about how good we are and we are supposed to provide to you reasons we will make it into the field of 68 because you have "facts" on your side?

Historically? This group of players hasn't struggled defensively against anyone in the last year and half, period. Offensively sometimes, but not defensively.

Any history beyond that is entirely irrelevant.

Let me see if I have this right, Teddy.....We're 14-3, ranked #14 in the country, and have nationally respected basketball analysts talking about how good we are and we are supposed to provide to you reasons we will make it into the field of 68 because you have "facts" on your side?

"facts" lol

The dominating on-ball defensive combo of Aaron Craft and Shannon Scott just let Marble score 22 points on 54% shooting. Who the **** is going to neutralize Marble the rest of the way? He just owned the best defense we're going to see this year. In our two toughest conference games thus far (against opponents who own two of the three best defenses among conference foes), he's scored 49 points on 46% shooting.

Here are some facts for you. Looking at conference games only, here's where Iowa ranks in a few categories.

Points per game (offense): 2nd in the Big Ten at 78.8 ppg (Wisconsin is 1st at 82 ppg)
Points per game (defense): 4th in the Big Ten at 68.3 ppg (while facing two of the best teams in the conference)

Field goal percentage (offense): 3rd in the Big Ten at 46.9%
Field goal percentage (defense): 2nd in the Big Ten at 37.4%

Three point percentage (offense): 4th in the Big Ten at 38.3%
Three point percentage (defense): 5th in the Big Ten at 31.8%

Assist/Turnover ratio (offense): 6th in the Big Ten at 1.14
Assist/Turnover ratio (defense): 1st in the Big Ten at 0.71

Points per possession (offense): 4th in the Big Ten at 1.09 ppp
Points per possession (defense): Tied for 2nd in the Big Ten at 0.95 ppp (Michigan leads the conference at 0.94)

Offensive efficiency: 4th in the Big Ten at 109.4
Defensive efficiency: 2nd in the Big Ten at 94.8

Effective FG% (offense): 5th in the Big Ten at 50.9%
Effective FG% (defense): 2nd in the Big Ten at 43.2%

It's well established that Marble isn't the problem (he's playing at a B1G POY level right now). But even Gesell has played DAMN well, outside of a poor shooting performance against Wisconsin. He's averaging 9 ppg in conference play (more than fine for our 4th/5th scoring option), shooting 38% from the floor (not great, but he's also learned his lesson from the Wisconsin game, which brought down his percentage in a big way). He's got 19 assists (just under 5 per game) and 9 turnovers, plus 8 steals. He's fine, and he looked pretty damn impressive against Craft/Scott, too. Those two eat crappy guard play for breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you aren't up to snuff, those two will make it clear to everyone. And they failed to do so to Gesell.

But you're right. The facts say this isn't a tournament team.

Last edited:

Latest posts