This is gonna be a LOOONG season

That was brutal to watch. No wonder they haven't been on tv. Wonder what kind of tweets J Bo will be sending out to the Hawk fans this time. It's like a train wreck you just can't quit watching. Hope to see some big improvement soon. Come on Hawks work it out!

If this season ends like it looks now, he damn well should be. But last year's team looked horrible early. Uthoff's senior year they looked horrible early. Whites senior year they looked horrible early. Marble's senior year they looked ok early. Every year before that they looked horrible early. So Fran is 1 out of 8 for not having horrible non conference showings. That is really bad, but the good news is he is 8 for 8 at getting better by conference play. So there is still hope for a decent season. But I wanted way more than decent this year.

If Fran misses the NCAA yet again this year, I would be all for firing him. Lets face it, next years team is just going to be this years team + 1 more below the rim player who is going to struggle to keep a more athletic player from blowing past him as well. This teams desperately needs more athletes who can defend. Cook is the only athlete that we have on this entire team. The rest of the team is built around length, which would be great, if you also had some athletes to go with it.

Iowa...

Is slow afoot...

Doesn't play with much heart...

Is soft...

Is young...

Doesn't have a functioning PG...JB is a shooting guard with not enough height...

Iowa needs an elite PG...

There you have it...

And...how can the fan base discuss whether he is on the hot seat...

Because...he has two talented sons in waiting who have yet to play...

Because...KF stays around in a pool of mediocrity forever...

The team is painful to watch and reminds me of Kirk's teams...which makes the winter seem much longer...

If you think the only issue on this team is PG, then you are an idiot.

It's a major issue on this team. Don't you see how easily the opposing teams PG blows right past JB? Every time that happens it breaks down our defense and if the PG doesn't get an easy layup he's dumping it off and all we can do is foul. Iowa cannot defend man to man because of this and when they switch to zone it leaves wide open shooters on the perimeter. Not having a decent point guard ruins everything you try to do defensively.

This has been a glaring problem that a few of us on here have been trying to point out but every time JB drains a 3 pointer all of the sudden he's a good point guard. Some people on here will support JB being a point guard to the death and yet anybody that watches the games should be able to see how glaring the problem is.

The team seems to stand around during those dead scoring periods waiting for Jok to shoot and score...he isn't there anymore guys.

If Fran misses the NCAA yet again this year, I would be all for firing him. Lets face it, next years team is just going to be this years team + 1 more below the rim player who is going to struggle to keep a more athletic player from blowing past him as well. This teams desperately needs more athletes who can defend. Cook is the only athlete that we have on this entire team. The rest of the team is built around length, which would be great, if you also had some athletes to go with it.
Yeah but do you really want to give up .500ish or slightly better seasons with the occasional really good season for the unknown? Iowa could go backwards. (See what I did there!).

All joking aside, dude has to go if he can't consistently make the tourney.

I wouldn’t suggest punting either unless you like twenty-five yard punts.

I would agree to the two more years only if Fran gets things significantly improved as this season moves on, however if we totally tank this year then next year should be do or die and not two more years.

He should be fired this year - all the fans have talked about was how this team was going to be really good. Well, turns out it is going to be a losing season with no NIT. I'm shocked.

Last edited:
Well...at least we can spend the winter seeing how, amazingly, Wisconsin has reloaded again with many nameless players to excel...

If you think the only issue on this team is PG, then you are an idiot.

You were the one defending Fran saying he got the point guard he needed and that we didn't need those athletic four star guards he went after first. You argued all off season that Jordan was a better point guard than Moore, Carr, Winston and all the other ones we targeted first.

Wow...I hate to even think about how Iowa will look if and when JB ends up exhausted or comes up lame...kind of like, on a small scale, not having a punter when playing conservative field position is your game plan on the FB field.

Iowa...

Is slow afoot...

Doesn't play with much heart...

Is soft...

Is young...

Doesn't have a functioning PG...JB is a shooting guard with not enough height...

Iowa needs an elite PG...

There you have it...
We are soft and young. I think calling the kids doing this day in and day out not playing with heart is a bit of an over reach. And yes they desperately need a Cartwright!

It is gonna be a long season. I am highly disappointed. I thought they played a great first half, and then lost it. Shot the ball horribly in the 2nd half. Doesn't matter what type of defense you play if you shoot like that you're going to lose by double digits. Moss is timid and crazy loose with the ball. I really wish Connor was available. I think Christian Williams would have played a lot now looking back in hindsight. I'm still gonna watch every game. I still like all of the players. I think Nunge and Garza will both make big strides this season. I thought Cordell played well. Cook has made incredible strides. Baer, is a nice player, but last night he was hunting shots, which is weird you'd think he'd ease back into his return. Jordan, love his offense and his quick shot. He is a liability on defense. I actually like Wagner, his role just needs reduced. Dailey has a long ways to go.

I still support Fran and the staff. He's been great for Iowa and a slow start doesn't make him a bum to me. But that's just me. You're free to express what a terrible coach he became over night.

You won't see me trashing the players in this program either. Sheesh. You guys are really tough. I am not gonna sell hope or tell you not to air your frustrations. I fell for the hype as well. I expected more and now I am just hoping we see progress.

If this season ends like it looks now, he damn well should be. But last year's team looked horrible early. Uthoff's senior year they looked horrible early. Whites senior year they looked horrible early. Marble's senior year they looked ok early. Every year before that they looked horrible early. So Fran is 1 out of 8 for not having horrible non conference showings. That is really bad, but the good news is he is 8 for 8 at getting better by conference play. So there is still hope for a decent season. But I wanted way more than decent this year.
And all of those teams have another thing in common: February fade away

We are soft and young. I think calling the kids doing this day in and day out not playing with heart is a bit of an over reach. And yes they desperately need a Cartwright!

I didn't see any lack of hustle or effort or heart. I saw a team that couldn't shoot suddenly and things compounded from there. But it's easier to just trash the players. The thing is, this is our program. The one we chose to support. The core of this team is gonna be here for the next 3+ years. It's like talking mad shit about a buddies ex after they break up only to find out that they got back together the next day. The kids you're trashing today could still, eventually, end up to be great Iowa Hawkeyes. I do understand everyone's frustration tho

Last edited:
How does a Greg Marshall at Wichita State, Chris Mack at Xavier, Archie Miller when at Dayton and these examples go on and on, get athletes and we can't with all the new facilities playing in a historically great bball conference to compete (Greg McDermott at Creighton)...I could go on. Fran and team must just not be very good at recruiting.