This is gonna be a LOOONG season

You are the one's using sucks and bums. You called out Jordan's defense.

It's not the players. The players are fine when played where they should be. They can't be played where they should be as they are always a step behind because we don't have the one player we should have. All else breaks down around that. Everything else is a half step behind.

We've been soundly beaten by teams that aren't that good. Not freak losses by hot teams. UNO last year was sort of like that. This year we've lost to multiple UNO's. We were crushed in the last game. The injured player coming back isn't that kind of a player either.

I hope you are right and I am wrong. My big issue is your exaggeration by some pointing it out. You and Dean seem to believe you are the only one's who can point out weaknesses properly. That's what is offensive.

I did call out Jordan's defense, I also said he's one of the many issues on D we have. I used "sucks" and "bums" to summarize the general over all vibe that is being laid down by you and multiple posters on here. There are plenty that are positive posters too and I appreciate them. They're like me, disappointed but not ready to blow things up. They don't need instant gratification. They don't need fire someone after each loss. They don't need to blame arguably the 2nd best player we have on the team for Iowa failing expectations so far this season. Everything isn't terrible. They are willing to give a coach who's been pretty good so far at the school get some times to figure things out.

There is a post on here called "Terrible Recruiting" - where some twit compared Iowa's team to a dog show and basically said all of Iowa's guys were like not as good of breeds. That's not flat out calling em bums or saying they suck... but it certainly is insinuating that.

There's another post that says "Great coaching Job Fran" where a posters says "Fran is below average, we should accept it" ...even though Iowa hasn't been below average since his first season.

There's a ton of "We need a slashing PG to be good" when Iowa hasn't had very many of those in it's entire history and hasn't had one on any of our last 3 NCAA teams.

You said Jok and Uthoff we're slashers to the rim so I don't even know why I am having a discussion with you as you're just trolling me now.

Last edited:
I did call out Jordan's defense, I also said he's one of the many issues on D we have. I used "sucks" and "bums" to summarize the general over all vibe that is being laid down by you and multiple posters on here. There are plenty that are positive posters too and I appreciate them. They're like me, are disappointed but not ready to blow things up. They don't need instant gratification. They don't need fire someone after each loss. They don't need to blame arguably the 2nd best player we have on the team for Iowa failing expectations so far this season. Everything isn't terrible. They are willing to give a coach who's been pretty good so far at the school get some times to figure things out.

There is a post on here called "Terrible Recruiting" - where some twit compared Iowa's team to a dog show and basically said all of Iowa's guys were like not as good of breeds. That's not flat out calling em bums or saying they suck... but it certainly is insinuating that.

There's another post that says "Great coaching Job Fran" where a posters says "Fran is below average, we should accept it" ...even though Iowa hasn't been below average since his first season.

There's a ton of "We need a slashing PG to be good" when Iowa hasn't had very many of those in it's entire history and hasn't had one on any of our last 3 NCAA teams.

You said Jok and Uthoff we're slashers to the rim so I don't even know why I am having a discussion with you as you're just trolling me now.

Your trolling comment is ridiculous. I thought you watched games. They could pull up and shoot because they could get to the rim. Sorry you don't understand basketball. But again I get it. You are the only smart one around hear. OK.

This is called YouTube. Kind of a cool thing. Going to the rim means moving towards the round thing at the end of the court with your whole body and dunking, layup, or short shot.

Your trolling comment is ridiculous. I thought you watched games. They could pull up and shoot because they could get to the rim. Sorry you don't understand basketball. But again I get it. You are the only smart one around hear. OK.

This is called YouTube. Kind of a cool thing. Going to the rim means moving towards the round thing at the end of the court with your whole body and dunking, layup, or short shot.

Good god I don't ever say I know everything about basketball. I admit to not. I very clearly don't. Nor would I ever tell anyone that I did. You posted 2 videos of Uthoff in the pros and a video of Jok taking jumpers tho... nice work of Youtube skillz lol.

No they didn't. Jok, Marble, Uthoff..... Who is that guy this year? The one with the highest upside on that was Williams. Uhl and AW have shown flashes of flashes, but if they aren't doing by now they aren't going to do it.

Seriously, you did call them bums. I haven't heard many on here call out players. You actually just did in a round about way because what you've said just hasn't been said much by anyone.

I will wholeheartedly say that Fran didn't thrill me at the start. I will call out that his is out of control and think he is detrimental to the team that way. Others disagree. I expected a collapse last year but it didn't. Jok surprised me on the upside. Something missed about Jok is that with him in the game, the level of intensity increased. That impacts both teams on O and D.

Tyler Cook can get to the rim in the halfcourt.

Tyler Cook can get to the rim in the halfcourt.

He needs to do it more. However, he needs more space. JBo can light it up anywhere to create part of it for Cook. If someone could drive too. Uthoff and Jok were a good combo.

He needs to do it more. However, he needs more space. JBo can light it up anywhere to create part of it for Cook. If someone could drive too. Uthoff and Jok were a good combo.

Moss can drive it as well. He struggled at VT. Hopefully, he can improve. It was the first true road game for this team. I am hoping things improve coming home for Penn State.

Good god I don't ever say I know everything about basketball. I admit to not. I very clearly don't. Nor would I ever tell anyone that I did. You posted 2 videos of Uthoff in the pros and a video of Jok taking jumpers tho... nice work of Youtube skillz lol.

You are supposed to watch the whole thing. BOTH created space as they were a threat to put the ball down and go. You should watch my youtube channels but your probably not interested in soccer, high school basketball, WW2 and Ag.

Moss can drive it as well. He struggled at VT. Hopefully, he can improve. It was the first true road game for this team. I am hoping things improve coming home for Penn State.

Not really. The only time he does anything around the rim is in transition.

Instead of following Iowa basketball, I might enjoy following President Trump and how the Dow Jones is climbing more.

You guys are relentless... just don't jump back on the ship when this team figures things out... and they will or Fran will be gone. It's that simple. I'm not saying this season, I'm saying - this core is here for the next 3-4 years and this board has pretty much declared them all bums by their Sophomore season.
I don't think anyone is interested in 'developmental program" basketball. The kind of program where we make and get bounced out of the first round of the NCAA tournament, once every 3 or 4 years. Because that's where we are at. This is Fran's 8th season and it looks like he'll be 3 for 8 on NCAA tournament appearances at Iowa. That's garbage and it will bring Fran's head coaching tenure to an end sooner, rather than later.

I think I heard Jon say more than once in the podcast that Iowa doesn't have a point guard.
I rarely disagree with Jon when it come to basketball. He's got a good feel for the game, as far as I'm concerned. His homerism not withstanding, of course.

I don't think anyone is interested in 'developmental program" basketball. The kind of program where we make and get bounced out of the first round of the NCAA tournament, once every 3 or 4 years. Because that's where we are at. This is Fran's 8th season and it looks like he'll be 3 for 8 on NCAA tournament appearances at Iowa. That's garbage and it will bring Fran's head coaching tenure to an end sooner, rather than later.

Iowa's been to 3 of the last 4 if we're being fair about it, hardly something to get up in arms over just yet. But I'm with ya... you miss 2 years in a row and I'll be grumbling.

Iowa's been to 3 of the last 4 if we're being fair about it, hardly something to get up in arms over just yet. But I'm with ya... you miss 2 years in a row and I'll be grumbling.
Get ready to grumble. I'm not so sure this is an NCAA tournament team next season. I don't see any way to plug the holes in this roster. Not unless some kids move on and Fran gets his head out of his ass and recruits some athletes in the back court.

The odds were against a victory at Virginia Tech.....

It started with 2 extremely questionable fouls on Garza in the first 2 minutes of the game.....

Fortunately, the Hawks were able to overcome that. VT was cold and missed shots and we were able to play in transition before their D was set, resulting in a tie at the half.....

Second half was a far different story. The referees took away any chance of continuity for the Hawks. Our transition game was shattered by the overwhelming number of fouls called against us. And for the Hawks, who rely on Fran's transition strategy, that was the kiss of death. When the opponent is on the free throw line, they also have the opportunity to set their D downcourt. At times VT only had one man on the on the lane lines. The rest of the team was set on D before the shot/shots were even attempted......

As a result, we were forced to rely on our nonexistent half-court game, which was also hampered by VT's defense which was very good, and in place when we went downcourt. Our half court offense is rather stagnant. We need ball movement, not unlike VT's ball movement in the second half. We were chasing the ball as they passed it around. We seriously need to implement that aspect. Floor spacing is essential to get room to operate in the paint. We also seem to stand around watching Jordan dribbling the ball. This is not a recipe for success. We simply must establish a motion offense. We certainly should be able to use the three-point proficiency of Bohannon, Moss, Nunge and Baer better with more movement.....

VT also won the halftime adjustment battle.....

We do have the talent to implement a better system. The pieces are there to have a good season. It does remain to be seen. The next three games are going to be tough. We have a chance to beat Penn State at Carver, but a win at Indiana is not to be expected, same at Iowa State. There is no reason to go overboard with criticism if we lose at Indiana and Hilton. Not many teams win at those facilities anyway.....

We should not lose sight of the fact that the elite programs: Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina and Michigan State will have rosters full of 4 and 5-star players sitting on the bench. The Hawkeyes will never achieve that level. We have to be satisfied with whom we have on the roster and do the best we can with them. A solid capable point guard should be number one on the list. Fran has tried to land a few and was close on some, Ulis and Moore come to mind. The most talented team we have had so far was recruited by Raveling and Mr. Davis certainly took advantage of that. It was the Golden Years for Hawkeye basketball. Lute Olsen got us to the Final Four with Ronnie Lester and excellent coaching. His teams played very good D, made free throws, recipes for success. Fran has raised the bar for recruits and the results will soon be evident. As many believe we will be Elite Eight bound two years from this season, and perhaps more. Relax and enjoy the ride.....

I will be pleased if we are prepared for the B1G and are competitive throughout the season and actually get a win in the B1G tournament. That would be remarkable.....

Hawkeye basketball makes the Winters bearable and should provide entertainment all season.....

Simply excess thoughts that I had to remove.....

:cool:

The odds were against a victory at Virginia Tech.....

It started with 2 extremely questionable fouls on Garza in the first 2 minutes of the game.....

Fortunately, the Hawks were able to overcome that. VT was cold and missed shots and we were able to play in transition before their D was set, resulting in a tie at the half.....

Second half was a far different story. The referees took away any chance of continuity for the Hawks. Our transition game was shattered by the overwhelming number of fouls called against us. And for the Hawks, who rely on Fran's transition strategy, that was the kiss of death. When the opponent is on the free throw line, they also have the opportunity to set their D downcourt. At times VT only had one man on the on the lane lines. The rest of the team was set on D before the shot/shots were even attempted......

As a result, we were forced to rely on our nonexistent half-court game, which was also hampered by VT's defense which was very good, and in place when we went downcourt. Our half court offense is rather stagnant. We need ball movement, not unlike VT's ball movement in the second half. We were chasing the ball as they passed it around. We seriously need to implement that aspect. Floor spacing is essential to get room to operate in the paint. We also seem to stand around watching Jordan dribbling the ball. This is not a recipe for success. We simply must establish a motion offense. We certainly should be able to use the three-point proficiency of Bohannon, Moss, Nunge and Baer better with more movement.....

VT also won the halftime adjustment battle.....

We do have the talent to implement a better system. The pieces are there to have a good season. It does remain to be seen. The next three games are going to be tough. We have a chance to beat Penn State at Carver, but a win at Indiana is not to be expected, same at Iowa State. There is no reason to go overboard with criticism if we lose at Indiana and Hilton. Not many teams win at those facilities anyway.....

We should not lose sight of the fact that the elite programs: Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina and Michigan State will have rosters full of 4 and 5-star players sitting on the bench. The Hawkeyes will never achieve that level. We have to be satisfied with whom we have on the roster and do the best we can with them. A solid capable point guard should be number one on the list. Fran has tried to land a few and was close on some, Ulis and Moore come to mind. The most talented team we have had so far was recruited by Raveling and Mr. Davis certainly took advantage of that. It was the Golden Years for Hawkeye basketball. Lute Olsen got us to the Final Four with Ronnie Lester and excellent coaching. His teams played very good D, made free throws, recipes for success. Fran has raised the bar for recruits and the results will soon be evident. As many believe we will be Elite Eight bound two years from this season, and perhaps more. Relax and enjoy the ride.....

I will be pleased if we are prepared for the B1G and are competitive throughout the season and actually get a win in the B1G tournament. That would be remarkable.....

Hawkeye basketball makes the Winters bearable and should provide entertainment all season.....

Simply excess thoughts that I had to remove.....

:cool:

I attended Iowa during the Lute years and haven't watched a better coached Iowa team since although I missed the Mr. Davis years while in the Navy. Fran doesn't hold a candle to Lute especially when it comes to fundamentals and defense. I would like to think that we could make a run in the NCAA tournament with this core of players but I just don't see it and Fran's history in post season doesn't give reason for optimism. I fell in love with college basketball watching all those games in the old Fieldhouse and watching practices when you could do it back in the day. The status quo in Iowa basketball leaves me a little cold but I will continue to watch and hope for the best.

I kept thinking that this team needs to run Mr. Davis's old Flex offense. It'd be suited perfectly for this group IMO.

You are not the only who has brought this up. Iowa would definitely have more flow to their offense right now if they ran it. It would take less pressure off JBo to be a facilitator. That being said, not sure that it is the long term answer, with this group, right now, it would better than what they are doing.

Latest posts