Think Wegher is Happy He Committed to Iowa?

In my opinion, assuming that Jewel Hampton's recovery goes well, I would guess that he will be the #1 back next season. Hampton was a beast behind Shonn Greene.Nothing against Wegher or Robinson because they both played really well also, I just think Hampton looked better. It will be interesting to see how things play out next season. No matter who is back there, the running game should be pretty good.

I don't understand this assumption. Hampton now has the third highest amount of experience for the RBs. He looked good playing behind Shonn Greene? So would I! He had 5-8 snaps a game last season playing behind the best back in the game, and he got to run downhill on either winded or demoralized defense.

Hampton now is a year behind, he has no starting experience, it is unknown how he will recover from his injury, and othe rplayers have established themselves ahead of him. If he wants to start, he is going to have to have a hell of a spring, because he should be starting practice @#3.

I don't understand this assumption. Hampton now has the third highest amount of experience for the RBs. He looked good playing behind Shonn Greene? So would I! He had 5-8 snaps a game last season playing behind the best back in the game, and he got to run downhill on either winded or demoralized defense.

Hampton now is a year behind, he has no starting experience, it is unknown how he will recover from his injury, and othe rplayers have established themselves ahead of him. If he wants to start, he is going to have to have a hell of a spring, because he should be starting practice @#3.

+1

A-Rob and BW first iowa tandom running backs since banks and shaw I like it. But have no doubt people Jewel Hampton will start next season he is a flash in the pan speed and great vision, which A-Rob and BW need some work on that.
I don't know about you, but I LOVED Albert Young/Damion Sims.

Also, why do fans want Wegher to switch positions? I think he looks mighty fine at RB. I had a guy who does NFL Draft scouting ask me quite a bit about him the other day and said he looked like a guy who is going to really step up!

I have absolutely no idea how this RB thing is going to work itself out next season but I would expect to see 2 primary backs with a 3rd getting some decent relief carries. BW, Hampton and A Rob are the 3 in the front of the line with guys like Brinson and Coker (probably a RS) fighting for those carries. If healthy who knows if one of them will be too good to keep off the field.

I have no idea if BW is a full time starter or not. He has tremendous potential but a lot to work on as well (I have little doubt he'll put in the time and work). Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing 2 backs in the traditional role while one moves into a situational role. With the experienced play makers we should be able to field next season, I expect to see a few wrinkles we haven't seen in a few years. Not a change of philosophy or style of offense but some situatiuonal wrinkles.

KOK has taken a beating over the years but he has run an offense that has won a bunch of games and like him or not he has been able to adapt to the hands he has been dealt. Add the fact that he has been around the game for a couple of years and seen a lot, I think we will see him find a way to use 3 guys.

I've rewatched the OB three times and each time gain a greater appreciation for the game Wegher had, particularly in the fourth quarter. He did a lot of things well, such as knowing enough to take the tackle in-bounds rather than instinctively trying to get another yard or two that might take him out of bounds and stop the clock. His run for the touchdown was a thing of beauty, pulling away from four "fast" GT defenders at the five.

I had to keep reminding myself this kid is just a freshman. I don't know how you keep him out of the starting lineup in the fall.

Let's not argue about who's better. How about we just be thankful for all three and hope they can stay healthly. I'm confident the coaches will determine the best situation to utilize all their talents.

Meanwhile, my excitement level for Stanzi, DJK, and McNutt is OFF THE CHARTS. (yes, the caps were necessary)

The real question is does how good is Hampton in the spring? If he is a stud then he starts and Robinson backs him up. But if not they its a Robinson/Wegher two headed monster but Hampton getting a few here and there. And then we have Brinson, I gotta say compared to when we were starting Brownlee, this is a GREAT problem to have.

Ghost: You and I agree so often! I had to compliment you on this post. Clearly, Brandon Wegher and A-Rob are miles ahead of Jewel at this point in their careers. Winning the Orange Bowl for us, sure gives Wegher-bomb a bit of Cache', shall we say?

That being said----------Coach Ferentz said that this will be a GOOD problem, next year, too much depth at RB! GO HAWKS :)

We do have a great problem with the RB situation here. I thought toward the end of the year that ABob was better than Wegher. After watching the Orange Bowl for the 3rd time, I think it may have been an issue of Wegher being wore out and hurt toward the end of the season. He looked so much better in the OB than during the last few weeks of the season.

All that said, I think ARob and Wegher will be MUCH better next year with the experience they gained this year. It will be interesting to watch and see if Jewell can do after the injury. Any way you slice it, RB will be an area of strength next year going into the season.

I've rewatched the OB three times and each time gain a greater appreciation for the game Wegher had, particularly in the fourth quarter. He did a lot of things well, such as knowing enough to take the tackle in-bounds rather than instinctively trying to get another yard or two that might take him out of bounds and stop the clock. His run for the touchdown was a thing of beauty, pulling away from four "fast" GT defenders at the five.

I had to keep reminding myself this kid is just a freshman. I don't know how you keep him out of the starting lineup in the fall.

I think a lot of people saw Wegher chew up some yards and score on that last drive and they want to appoint him as the starter going into next year.

I'm affraid I'm going to come off as a Wegher basher which I'm not, I love the kid. But here's the deal. Arob is a better running back than BW, at least right now and for the entire season. How many tackles did BW break on that last drive in the OB? I think zero. How many moves did he have to make? Not many. He basically ran straight ahead and got two big runs that accounted for 50 + yard.

Imagine if Arob had been in the game for the final drive. Would he have not had the similar results? He would have gotten through the holes quicker, but may have been run down sooner. But there would be similar results. Those holes were huge.

Arob is a sturdier runner in traffic, has quicker feet, better balance, can break tackles better. Wegher is likely faster in straight away speed. This seems pretty obvious to me when I see the two of them in the same game. I don't think Wegher is worthless as a RB at all. I think he could be very good if he got some more experience. I just think that Arob is better right now.

If I remember correctly, hampton is a beast and looks the part. I keep remembering a play toward the end of the Outback Bowl vs. SC last year. Didn't Hampton take a huge hit from a LB on the goal line and keep going forward. I remember being very impressed.

This discussion is going to be re-hashed approximately one billion times over the next 7-8 months.

Encopresis,

I agree with you completely. I think people have short memories. Wegher had a great bowl game, but A-Rob had the better year without a doubt, and I think Hampton is the #1 guy if healthy. Definitely a good problem to have, though. Should be solid at RB for the next few years, for sure.

I just hope he stays happy if they decide to move him around in the next year or so.

BW reminds me a bit of Tim Dwight. While I think he would do fine at running back, why not put him at flanker and let him utilize that open field speed to his maximum potential.

BW reminds me a bit of Tim Dwight. While I think he would do fine at running back, why not put him at flanker and let him utilize that open field speed to his maximum potential.

And who is he going to replace at flanker???

Davis?? Sandeman??? McNutt???? DJK?????

We are not only stacked at running back, we are stacked at all the offensive skill positions. The challenge for the coaching staff, and I believe they will figure it out, is how do you get enough touches to keep everyone interested, happy and HUNGRY????

Iowa is solid, but far from stacked, at Wide Receiver. DJK and Mcnutt are proven quality, if not great, players. Davis has shown flashes of potential but has a long ways to go...Sandeman is spotty at best. There is plenty of room for a Welker/Dwight style player to compliment DJK and Mcnutt on 3 WR sets. Not saying that should happen, as I think Wegher is the best RB on the team, but it certainly would have the potential to strengthen the WR corps.

WHy does wegher remind you of Tim Dwight? THey have nothing similar in Characteristics but one. Dwight was was a short and extremely fast, he never played running back in college and we have no idea how well he could block for a QB. I'll let you guess what the one thing wegher and dwight had in similarity.

WHy does wegher remind you of Tim Dwight? THey have nothing similar in Characteristics but one. Dwight was was a short and extremely fast, he never played running back in college and we have no idea how well he could block for a QB. I'll let you guess what the one thing wegher and dwight had in similarity.

They are both white, under six feet tall, a bit under sized at RB, had good speed, had good hands... I think it's a pretty good comparison.

Ohhh and LOL at the thought TD wouldn't be a good blocker in blitz pickup. TD would hit anything and everything with little regard for human life, he'd be just fine at picking up a blitzing linebacker.

Latest posts