Think Wegher is Happy He Committed to Iowa?

Going into spring ball, Wegher and A-rob have to be 1-2, with Jewel #3. They earned it with their play in 2009. Jewel will need to earn his spot back with his play - not on what he accomplished in 2008.

Oz...you're an idiot for that implication.

Both are small, strong, very fast, tough as nails...and have good receiving ability.

Get over yourself.

WHy does wegher remind you of Tim Dwight? THey have nothing similar in Characteristics but one. Dwight was was a short and extremely fast, he never played running back in college and we have no idea how well he could block for a QB. I'll let you guess what the one thing wegher and dwight had in similarity.

Both played HS ball in the state of Iowa? Hmmm...both were outstanding RBs in HS and could probably play multiple positions? Umm...both are fast? Both prefer hot mustard for their McDonald's Chicken McGristles?

No matter who starts, the HAWKS are going to have fresh and talented legs for four quarters. That ought to give opposing defenses something to worry about all season long.

I think a lot of people saw Wegher chew up some yards and score on that last drive and they want to appoint him as the starter going into next year.

I'm affraid I'm going to come off as a Wegher basher which I'm not, I love the kid. But here's the deal. Arob is a better running back than BW, at least right now and for the entire season. How many tackles did BW break on that last drive in the OB? I think zero. How many moves did he have to make? Not many. He basically ran straight ahead and got two big runs that accounted for 50 + yard.

Imagine if Arob had been in the game for the final drive. Would he have not had the similar results? He would have gotten through the holes quicker, but may have been run down sooner. But there would be similar results. Those holes were huge.

Arob is a sturdier runner in traffic, has quicker feet, better balance, can break tackles better. Wegher is likely faster in straight away speed. This seems pretty obvious to me when I see the two of them in the same game. I don't think Wegher is worthless as a RB at all. I think he could be very good if he got some more experience. I just think that Arob is better right now.

If I remember correctly, hampton is a beast and looks the part. I keep remembering a play toward the end of the Outback Bowl vs. SC last year. Didn't Hampton take a huge hit from a LB on the goal line and keep going forward. I remember being very impressed.

This discussion is going to be re-hashed approximately one billion times over the next 7-8 months.

Enco is right here.

Wegher played as well as he has all year in the OB, but it was against a bad D and he didn't do anything spectacular. Throughout the year, BW's legs would stop too often at first contact. He did a poor job getting past the first level of defense. He is however our best goaline RB, because of his ability to leap over the line.

The problem with RB is there isn't a high threshold for improvement like there is at QB, OL, WR and TE. At RB you either have it or you don't. For the people who are counting on BW to improve by leaps and bounds at RB over the years I think are dreaming. He is what he is.

I would like to see him used as a 3rd down back. He's a great pass catcher. He could be used well on screens, draws and swing passes. I don't see him ever being an every down back.

Wegher WILL NOT BE SWITCHING POSITIONS. Get that thru your thick skulls people. The kid is a TRUE freshman and will get better by leaps and bounds. I think he will our starting tailback next year, if not he will be getting similar number of carries he got this year.

What he said.

You can just tell he has all the tools and already the maturity to be a great D1 running back. Yeah, he missed some holes this year and got taken down sometimes in the backfield before he could even hit the hole, but still, he is too valuable and dangerous at RB to switch. We are lucky to have #27 and #32 and #3 all fighting for playing time next year. GO HAWKS!

What he said.

You can just tell he has all the tools and already the maturity to be a great D1 running back. Yeah, he missed some holes this year and got taken down sometimes in the backfield before he could even hit the hole, but still, he is too valuable and dangerous at RB to switch. We are lucky to have #27 and #32 and #3 all fighting for playing time next year. GO HAWKS!

I guess that depends on what you think a great D1 RB is.

Wegher can't possibly compare to the greatness that was Sam Brownlee. lol.

In all seriousness, though, I think it's a GREAT problem to have this many quality RB's to choose from. We'll have 3 RB's with significant game experience, who don't fumble, and play smart football. Obviously Hampton isn't a completely known commodity at this point, but he did look good 2 years ago behind Greene.

I'm wondering if KOK would ever run a 2-back setup with 2 HB's. I think Iowa's Offense would have a lot of flexibility in having Wegher line up in the backfield then motion out to the slot, forcing mismatches, etc. A lot of options, if KOK will dare to get a little creative.

The best offenses put the ball in their playmaker's hands, and Wegher/Robinson have both shown great skills. So my early prediction: 3 1,000 yard rushers next year. :)

What he said.

Wegher fumbles too much...

Latest posts