These next three games....

It's been getting better for a while. In the 80's and 90's it seemed like Iowa would only play like 2 or 3 real "tests" an OOC before the conference schedule. Other than that, it was cupcake city. I think they specifically went really weak when Fran arrived, because wins were what the program needed. It's really gotten better and now that there is a 20 game conference schedule, really all Iowa needs to do is schedule the cupcakes for the rest. With exempts, B1G/ACC Challenge, Gavitt Games, and ISU + the BTT - that's going to be 25-26 games against p5 conference teams every year. Yes, there are still snoozers on the schedule, but it's come a long ways and every program in the country is playing some cupcakes. Just do what I do - get a big old bottle of Jack Daniels Honey. Drop 1 cube in a small glass and fill it a quarter full. Drink one every 10 minutes of basketball. You'll make it through.

photofunky.gif

It's the same fan that wants Northern IL or W Michigan off the schedule in football cause they are "fcs teams" (factually not true) and wants Iowa to play Notre Dame or Mizzou instead, and have Iowa play 11 P5 teams while everyone else is playing 8. It'd be more fun for us fans but for a team that is trying to maximize it's place on a totem poll, that's not a great business model.

It's become a business model of appearing superior as a result of inferior scheduling. The problem is that everyone is scheduling for an opportunity to win championships when they're not even contenders.

I hear you Dean. I guess it depends on how you measure success. The ultimate goal is always going to be doing well in conference play and hearing your name called on selection Sunday, as it should be. I guess I'll always be that person that would rather play the best of the best game in and game out. I just feel that sports are about competition and its gotten the point where teams are stacking the deck when ever possible to avoid that competition. The sports become about being good enough to make a sweet 16 or elite 8, but not proving that your one of the 8 or 16 best teams in the country game in and game out.

Well thats where the NET rankings come in. If you only schedule cupcakes and you play in a weak conference, then you're screwed unless you get an automatic bid. Since every single power-5 NCAA program plays a bunch of non-conference cupcakes, it stands to reason they all see benefit in them. Whether it be money, or experience, or working on new things...or all of the above.

There are 353 NCAA men's basketball teams. They're not all going to be top 50 games.

Well thats where the NET rankings come in. If you only schedule cupcakes and you play in a weak conference, then you're screwed unless you get an automatic bid. Since every single power-5 NCAA program plays a bunch of non-conference cupcakes, it stands to reason they all see benefit in them. Whether it be money, or experience, or working on new things...or all of the above.

There are 353 NCAA men's basketball teams. They're not all going to be top 50 games.

Agreed, but I'll remain in the camp that regardless of what everyone else is doing there's no benefit whatsoever of playing anyone ranked in 300's.

Could Barta's argument (which won't make sense if he has one) be that he doesnt want to schedule attractive non con home games when the students are gone? Does anyone even know how many students actually attend games? Does anyone know how many regular football bowl game attendees are also regular basketball patrons?

No way would Barta schedule Iowa State this close to the holidays. He would lose one of the few guaranteed non con gates he does get. Playing three consecutive cupcakes makes no sense on any level at any time, but doing it on the eve of conference games looks clueless. But perhaps Barta, ever the gutless one, feels that scheduling sub 300 RPI's a week before a date in Mackey Arena is the best way to cut his losses.

Thank God we're playing Cincinnati in that United Center holiday doubleheader next year. That is how you prepare your team for conference play.
Why would he care? He doesn't pay any attention to the students when it comes to seating, etc. Students are basically an after thought for this clown.

Agreed, but I'll remain in the camp that regardless of what everyone else is doing there's no benefit whatsoever of playing anyone ranked in 300's.

This I will agree with. I don't know why we schedule such BAD teams for the easy games. At least put a team on the court that is in the 100's or maybe low 200's.

"Gutless Gary" probably couldn't change a light bulb without breaking it off in his hand.

Then he would try to remove the metal threading by using a damp washcloth without shutting off the breaker.
He'd pay someone 7 figures to change it. Then give them a raise and an extension for removing the metal threading, after they broke it. All the while lauding their abilities like they were Mensa worthy. Awful.

Last edited:
I don't mind feeding on a cupcake once in awhile as we can get some of the younger guys some development in these games, but three cupcakes in a row is too much. I just hope we don't end up with a sugar high and lose our defensive intensity before we hit the B1G trail.

It's been getting better for a while. In the 80's and 90's it seemed like Iowa would only play like 2 or 3 real "tests" an OOC before the conference schedule. Other than that, it was cupcake city. I think they specifically went really weak when Fran arrived, because wins were what the program needed. It's really gotten better and now that there is a 20 game conference schedule, really all Iowa needs to do is schedule the cupcakes for the rest. With exempts, B1G/ACC Challenge, Gavitt Games, and ISU + the BTT - that's going to be 25-26 games against p5 conference teams every year. Yes, there are still snoozers on the schedule, but it's come a long ways and every program in the country is playing some cupcakes. Just do what I do - get a big old bottle of Jack Daniels Honey. Drop 1 cube in a small glass and fill it a quarter full. Drink one every 10 minutes of basketball. You'll make it through.

ytL0ico.gif

Jack be nimble

Jack be quick

:cool:

Iowa basically scheduled 6 cupcakes this year, and will schedule 6 cupcakes next year, most teams schedule more cupcakes than this.

Duke - 7 cakes
Kentucky - 7 cakes
UNC - 7 cakes
Virginia - 7 cakes
MSU - 6 cakes
Michigan - 6/7 cakes

I mean seriously we would be stupid adding more competitive games than what the top teams in all of college BB play.

My whole complaint was not scheduling cupcakes, it's the quality of them. Just don't schedule the worst of the worst. These next 3 opponents will lose well over 20 games this year. There is very little to be gained playing these terrible teams.

My whole complaint was not scheduling cupcakes, it's the quality of them. Just don't schedule the worst of the worst. These next 3 opponents will lose well over 20 games this year. There is very little to be gained playing these terrible teams.

I think Fran disagrees with you since he controls a lot of the scheduling. So Fran must see some sort of benefit, and Fran's opinion is one of the only ones that matter.

I don't mind feeding on a cupcake once in awhile as we can get some of the younger guys some development in these games, but three cupcakes in a row is too much. I just hope we don't end up with a sugar high and lose our defensive intensity before we hit the B1G trail.
I think this is very likely.

OT
I remember a few years back (shortly after we lost to NDSU IIRC) when the NCAA mandated the end of FBS vs FCS schools. The moderators here and at the other Hawkeye sites said, "You ungrateful whiners can now shut up cuz Iowa won't being playing UNI anymore."

Yeah, that lasted less than a year before the morons in the NCAA and the swamp-monsters at Iowa had the Panthers back on the schedule.

I think Fran disagrees with you since he controls a lot of the scheduling. So Fran must see some sort of benefit, and Fran's opinion is one of the only ones that matter.

Ahhh, ok...Fran and GB knows what's best so we shouldn't ever question anything and it's not worth discussing.

Jon, might as well shut down these message boards. Our opinions don't matter anyway.

Ahhh, ok...Fran and GB knows what's best so we shouldn't ever question anything and it's not worth discussing.

Jon, might as well shut down these message boards. Our opinions don't matter anyway.

Never said that. My point is that if every Power 5 school schedules 4-7 cupcake non-conference games every single year...doesn't it stand to reason that every Power 5 coach sees benefit in them? Even if you and I don't?

They get paid to do this stuff for a living...we don't. I'm going to assume Mike Krzyzewski knows more about college basketball than I do, so when he schedules home games against Eastern Michigan, Stetson, and Hartford...he probably knows what he's doing.

Do you understand?

Never said that. My point is that if every Power 5 school schedules 4-7 cupcake non-conference games every single year...doesn't it stand to reason that every Power 5 coach sees benefit in them? Even if you and I don't?

They get paid to do this stuff for a living...we don't. I'm going to assume Mike Krzyzewski knows more about college basketball than I do, so when he schedules home games against Eastern Michigan, Stetson, and Hartford...he probably knows what he's doing.

Do you understand?

Duke beat Princeton (RPI #246) 101-50 last night. But they only led by 13 (39-26 at half). I am sure Coach K saw no value in that game. :)

Duke beat Princeton (RPI #246) 101-50 last night. But they only led by 13 (39-26 at half). I am sure Coach K saw no value in that game. :)
A coach can find value in any situation. Whether that translates to value in the W/L column of BIG conference play is another thing.

Latest posts