Theo Epstein to Cubs?

it'll be Quade in 2012

Cubs need to get two starting pitchers

This. Unfortunately, this year's market is thin on starting pitching. We've got no shot at Wilson, and I'm not sold on him as a true #1 anyway. Great #2, though.

If the team doesn't win, it won't be that hard. If Ryno's successor comes in and wins you will be like Ryno who. You're talking about Cubs fans. They want to win. Ridding itself of a manager is part of it and Epstein is more likely to make those choices.

I don't disagree at all. I like Quade but I don't think he'll be around next year, though I think it would be really smart to deal with next year with Quade and then start anew.

What could be the possible benefit of keeping a manager for 1 year knowing you are going to get rid of him no matter the results the next season? Why would you not want to get YOUR guy in as soon as possible so he can start working on things right away?

Red Sox wanted Garza for Epstein ... what a joke

Do you really think they wanted Garza for Theo? I'm sure they wouldn't have said no if the Cubs had accepted, but I hardly think Boston was expecting to get Garza. Basic negotiating: if you're the seller, set the initial price high. If you're buying, start the bidding low. Then you meet somewhere in the middle.

All Boston was trying to do was to make the compromise a better deal for them.

Compensation is the only thing keeping this deal to be formally done. I just heard on The Score the Red Sox are now asking for the Cubs top pitching prospect but I did not catch the name. But the Cubs are already negotiating with the San Diego GM that has worked with Epstein in the past to bring him over and another Boston guy to complete the staff (again names are failing me).

Supposidely Boston has already named a successor as well. Just a matter of Boston taking Bobby Scales and being happy

Inside sources:

1) Cubs are going after Fielder.
2) Castro is moving to 3rd.
3) Barney is moving to SS.
4) Plugging in DeWitt at 2B as a stop gap.
5) The Red Sox are drama queens.

Lets see if this is true in a few months.

Compensation is the only thing keeping this deal to be formally done. I just heard on The Score the Red Sox are now asking for the Cubs top pitching prospect but I did not catch the name. But the Cubs are already negotiating with the San Diego GM that has worked with Epstein in the past to bring him over and another Boston guy to complete the staff (again names are failing me).

That is likely Archer or Carpenter. Hate to see either of them go, but not the end of the world either.

Archer is no longer with the Cubs. He was traded to Tampa Bay for Garza. It is most likely Andrew Cashner or Trey McNutt is what I have heard.

Inside sources:

1) Cubs are going after Fielder.
2) Castro is moving to 3rd.
3) Barney is moving to SS.
4) Plugging in DeWitt at 2B as a stop gap.
5) The Red Sox are drama queens.

Lets see if this is true in a few months.

Barney should have been playing at SS all year. It was baffling that they never switched them. I would keep Aramis to protect Fielder, and move Castro to 2B.

Archer is no longer with the Cubs. He was traded to Tampa Bay for Garza. It is most likely Andrew Cashner or Trey McNutt is what I have heard.

Sorry I was thinking McNutt. There is no way that Cashner goes, and I don't think McNutt will either. Carpenter is possible.

Barney should have been playing at SS all year. It was baffling that they never switched them. I would keep Aramis to protect Fielder, and move Castro to 2B.

Why? yes Castro made mistakes, but he has the ability to make more plays and has a better arm than Barney does, by a long shot. I could see Castro move to 3rd when his power develops and loses some range, but I don't see him as a 2B, at least not for the Cubs. It will take 3 years and a lot of money to get Aramis back, and I'm not sure that is what the Cubs want. I don't anyway. I would love to see a trade for a young 3B like Longoria though. That would be awesome.

Sorry I was thinking McNutt. There is no way that Cashner goes, and I don't think McNutt will either. Carpenter is possible.

Why? yes Castro made mistakes, but he has the ability to make more plays and has a better arm than Barney does, by a long shot. I could see Castro move to 3rd when his power develops and loses some range, but I don't see him as a 2B, at least not for the Cubs. It will take 3 years and a lot of money to get Aramis back, and I'm not sure that is what the Cubs want. I don't anyway. I would love to see a trade for a young 3B like Longoria though. That would be awesome.

Cubs already said McNutt won't go anywhere either.

The interesting news (maybe it's not new, but it's new to me) is that Epstein isn't going to be the GM. The Cubs are expected to bring in Jed Hoyer from San Diego to be the GM and Epstein will be something like the President of Baseball Operations.

Why? yes Castro made mistakes, but he has the ability to make more plays and has a better arm than Barney does, by a long shot.
Barney has been a shortstop his whole career in the minors. He has more range, is quicker, and has better hands. Plus, Barney actually pays attention to the game.
It will take 3 years and a lot of money to get Aramis back, and I'm not sure that is what the Cubs want.
Who are they going to replace him with? If you are willing to spend on Fielder, you should be willing to put support around him in the line-up. I believe Longoria is locked up for a while. Maybe I'm wrong about that. Anyway, there are very few 3B better than Aramis.

Last edited:

Latest posts