The Search: Should Iowa REALLY Consider Jacobson?

Seems to me we heading for a scenario that will already have people ripping the hire and those embracing it. So, When a coach is hired we will have the so-called Alford Haters, Lickliter Haters, (Insert new coach name) Haters versus the so-called lovers.

The bottomline is some will never be happy.

Whine, Whine, Whine...

Lickliter was the worst hire in the history of this program. He had no charisma what so ever. Watching him on the sideline I swear he was never even trying. Ben Jacobsen certainly looks like a coach that is well connected to his players and quite frankly you can tell he is in charge.. Iowa lacks that leadership.

Pretty sure the "Whine, Whine, Whine..." goes away when you "Win, Win, Win..." Once that happens again everyone will be on board with whoever it is, though I still feel it should be Lon Kruger. Only reason people will be upset is because they want what they feel is best for Iowa, and that is to win!!! Jacobson doesn't show any sign that we are trying anything different from the last 10 years. Those ten years have not been fun. Thus, many will not be happy with what would feel like staying the course with a Jacobson hire.

Frankly, with Jacobsen I think the recruiting question becomes a moot point, because he'd win a lot of games with what's perceived to the world as "lesser talent".

Look no further than Kirk Ferentz for a great example of this.

We could do a lot worse than Jake.

My take on the situation is that Jacobsen is obviously a very good coach, but the question remains: Can he recruit enough to win in the Big Ten consistently?

I'm not taking anything away from what Jacobsen and UNI did by beating Kansas yesterday, I have to give them my kudos. But Lickliter also beat some good teams while at Butler, and we all saw how it worked out for him coaching in the Big Ten.

Again, it comes down to potentially overreacting to 1 or 2 games in a tournament. I'm always leary of that "flavor of the year" type of coach based on a single tournament appearance. Remember Dan Monson's elite 8 appearance, and then his tenure at Minnesota?

The way I see it, there is a very big difference between playing your hearts out and surpising a team or two one year in a postseason tournament, and competing in a major conference from season to season.

That's not to say that Jacobsen would fail in a major conference, but can he consistently recruit enough Big Ten talent to compete in this league? That's the big question, and I dont' know the answer to that.

Frankly, with Jacobsen I think the recruiting question becomes a moot point, because he'd win a lot of games with what's perceived to the world as "lesser talent".

I think alot of people underestimate the level of talent Kirk Ferentz recruits. True, many of his recruits aren't highly rated, but KF and his staff seem to be experts at identifying overlooked talent and coaching them up. The football program has some pretty good athletes. Just look at the amount of players we've been sending to the NFL lately.

Just because we don't have nothing but 4-5 star recruits like Texas and Florida doesn't mean we have a roster that's devoid of talent.

As you mentioned, KF's players are PERCEIVED as lesser talent, but it doesn't necessarily make it so.

Recruiting will ALWAYS be important, IMO.

You cannot compare football to basketball....can't hide things on the basketball court..cream rises to the top. Watch the tournament those teams have at least one difference maker.

Well, if Jacobsen starts churning out NBA players with the same relative regularity that Ferentz pumps out NFL drafts, I'll 100% agree with you.

Let's see. UNI beat Kansas and that's great.

On the flip side, UNI lost to Evansville. They are in last place in the MVC. UNI also lost to Depaul, last place team in the Big East.

Let not one game make a coaches career.

He's a good young coach, but that's not what's needed at Iowa at this critical stage of the program. They need someone who can recruit and who can hire assistants who can recruit.

Exactly. While I was glad to see them beat Kansas, they have had a couple of bad losses and that is why they were not seeded higher.

Am I missing something...or is there a reason why we wouldn't make some overtures to a guy that just flat out wins year after year like Mark Few at Gonzaga? When we start speculating on Tony Barbie, Josh Pastner, and the likes I think we are overlooking some GREAT coaches that have proven they can be successful year after year like Few.

I think you really don't need to look any further than this thread on why Ben probably shouldn't be our next coach. I really don't think he would create enough excitement to unify the fan base.

Am I missing something...or is there a reason why we wouldn't make some overtures to a guy that just flat out wins year after year like Mark Few at Gonzaga? When we start speculating on Tony Barbie, Josh Pastner, and the likes I think we are overlooking some GREAT coaches that have proven they can be successful year after year like Few.

Mark Few has been sought out by other schools and he keeps saying no thanks. He likes it where he is at. Some guys are OK with being the coach at a mid-major.

He'll do big things somewhere else and we'll kick ourselves for letting him get away.

I am afraid of this too but all things being equal would prefer that to be the course we run. I think he has done some specially things at UNI but am hoping Iowa goes after and established D1 coach first.

I don't trust coaches that take over winning programs. It is easy to keep winning. You have a winning culture established. Kids buy in to the program, and you can do things your way. Its much harder to come into an unfamiliar losing situation and establish a culture and demeanor.

Also, at UNI Jacobsen is dealing with unheralded recruits, who since their freshman year UNI has had success. These kids are more likely to buy-in to a micromanage style of play. More likely to accept less playing time and wait their turn. By having a positive team culture, one with minimal egos, Jacobsen can develop team-ball, instill discipline, and a team identify in players over the course of a player's 4/5 years. At the Big 10 level you have different egos, dynamics. Joining a losing team as a freshman (which we surely are going to be) makes it harder for kids to buy-in.

To biggest challenge for a coach trying to emulate a mid-major style of team development, is creating the right culture and getting better athletes to buy in.

Dude, cmon Yoda that is just awful. UNI is now 30-4 this year. So not one game career does have in a season make?

We've tried this twice with Alford and Lickliter. I know the third times a charm, but not in this case.

Get a guy that can recruit and will hire assistant coaches who can recruit, not a guy who goes 30-4 in the MVC and beats Kansas. The Hawks need to hire someone with connections on a national basis. Ben Jacobson is not that guy.

+1 Depending on how he does against Mich. St. I would imagine that they would have at least review what he's done and legitimately think about him as the next Iowa head coach. He could definitely succeed if he gets some good recruiters.

Who Cares if Jacobson beats MSU in their next game, it is just one game. We play MSU multiple times per year during confernce play and possibly in the B10 tourney.

Based on Iowa's regular season schedule, how many victories would you have given the Panthers? We are talking about B10 basketball. Jon's post was spot on. Jacobson gets a look, the Panther's performance in the NCAA tourney should have little to nothing to do with Barta's decision.

UNI could win it all, and I'm not convinced that Jacobsen would be a good fit. He's had DECENT teams and this year has been his best. I can't imagine that Iowa or any fan for that matter, should WANT a coach who hasn't proven beyond one great year that they are really all that good.

Exactly and I think we made that mistake when we hired Alford coming off an upset of Tennessee to get to the sweet 16. Not again.

Latest posts