The Rose Bowl Has Lost Its Luster.

MelroseHawkins

Don't get me wrong, it's still the Granddaddy of them all, and probably the best bowl to attend with all the festivities including the parade etc., but the Rose Bowl is not the same prestige as it was in the 1980's and 1990's. It started to lose it's luster with the advent of the BCS but still had some meaning for the BIG and PAC 12 teams but not quite the same. I remember in 2002 after Iowa's successful season when everyone thought Iowa was going to go to the Rose Bowl (who can't remember all the roses at the Minnesota game and Brad Banks having a rose in his mouth after the game) but only to be swapped up by the Orange Bowl committee. I personally wasn't really slighted at that point as I was excited for Iowa to play in the Orange Bowl against USC.

Now with the implementation of the playoff system, the Rose Bowl has lost even a little more of its shine, especially when it is not included in the rotation in the playoff system. Now the goal of the teams is to get into the playoff system regardless of what specific bowl it is. The goal at the beginning of the year is to make the 4 team playoff, even if it means you may have to fall back to the Rose Bowl, which is not a bad consolation prize.

So, most years the BIG champion will be invited to the playoff system when in years past the true BIG champion would play in the Rose Bowl. Now, often times, the BIG 2nd best team will get the Rose invite, unless the Rose Bowl will have to host two different conference teams.

I am happy with the new playoff system as I like the teams to play for the championship, but my point to the younger folks is that the Rose Bowl just isn't the same as it was in the 1980's, and unfortunately, is not quite as prestigious as it once was.

Agree or disagree? Discuss.

A well written post, but I have to mildly disagree. There really is nothing like the Rose Bowl....the parade, the weather, the setting, the history...nothing like it in college football. If Iowa is picked, it would be a huge deal and I would expect 40 to 50 thousand Iowans would go. It has been 25 years since Iowa was there the last time! The Rose Bowl is more than a football game...it is a great event. I would be thrilled if Iowa makes any of the "New Year's Six" and plan to go if that happens, but the Rose Bowl is a bucket list "once in a lifetime" event

just wait till they build that new stadium in Inglewood CA, that the Rams owner wants to build so he can move the Rams back to Los Angeles. Next time around they hold the semi-finals in the Inglewood stadium and Rose Bowl won't even host semi-finals every 3 years.

at that point, the Rose Bowl will be officially a tier 2 bowl just like the Citrus or Holiday bowls. Sure it will a great experience in person and will keep getting good tv ratings, but playing in the Rose Bowl won't mean much.

Totally torn here... I totally get it's not what it once meant.

With that said, it's been a dream to go watch the Hawks play in the rose bowl and it's in Southern Cal.

With that said, I've had others say the area isn't as fun as maybe other bowl games in terms of options and things to do.

All good points in this thread. Not what it once was but still the Granddaddy. I will go if Iowa selected but would not be crushed if say Iowa would ended up in Fiesta.

A well written post, but I have to mildly disagree. There really is nothing like the Rose Bowl....the parade, the weather, the setting, the history...nothing like it in college football. If Iowa is picked, it would be a huge deal and I would expect 40 to 50 thousand Iowans would go. It has been 25 years since Iowa was there the last time! The Rose Bowl is more than a football game...it is a great event. I would be thrilled if Iowa makes any of the "New Year's Six" and plan to go if that happens, but the Rose Bowl is a bucket list "once in a lifetime" event

Amen. The Rose Bowl is on my bucket list as well. To think that IOWA has a chance to be there and partake in the events just makes me giddy. I, for one will be at the Rose Bowl should Iowa make it there! Go Hawks!

The bowl system is on its last leg.

The loser of the big ten title game goes to the RB, that pretty much says it all.

Being in the Rose now would be almost like being in a reenactment of something important that happened in the past.

No the Rose has not any luster. I honestly would rather see the Hawks in Pasadena with all the goodies that go with it, rather than in some semifinal bowl in which we lose and then no one even remembers at all.

I'm hoping for Rose myself. As others have said, this is a bucketlist thing for me. God knows where I'll be in another quarter century. I can't say that I'd be able to go to other bowl games/destinations, but this one, I'd make it somehow.

THIS is exactly why I was against the BCS and against the revised/current playoff system. We have tossed out all "tradition" in exchange for naming a clear National Champion.

With the BCS, we didn't even achieve much clarity as to the National Champion. It was just as murky as the prior "Mythical National Championship" we used to enjoy to debate.

Now, we have lost all tradition and made the Rose Bowl less significant than it was previously. Remember a year or two ago when, I believe it was an Oregon player, made some snotty comment about hoping that they didn't end up in the Rose Bowl.

It has lost its luster. But I still would love to see Iowa in a Rose Bowl.

Wonder how many would keep this on their bucket list if they'd ever been to Pasadena (not to say all of you haven't)? Pretty generic town in southern CA though. The history of the Rose Bowl is great but unfortunately that all it has left. Nowadays the bowl is as meaningless as any other that is not part of the playoff rounds.

I'd personally be more excited to attend the BIG championship game (assuming we are making it there)

Wow, the idea that anyone would prefer a bowl trip to a chance to play for a national title absolutely blows my mind.

Good god that's insane.

I've already prepped the wife that if they end up in the Rose Bowl that I'm going. It may not quite be what it once was, but it's still a pretty prestigious bowl game, and holds a legendary status in the B1G and Pac12.

Fan experience, yes.

Modern football relevance, no.

Give me me a shot at the playoff and a game that actually means something over a "Gee whiz" any day. Who knows, if the Hawks made the playoff and laid down two great games it'd be one for the ages. I'll give up a parade and the setting for just a shot at that.

All fluff and not a lot of substance.

Fan experience, yes.

Modern football relevance, no.

Give me me a shot at the playoff and a game that actually means something over a "Gee whiz" any day. Who knows, if the Hawks made the playoff and laid down two great games it'd be one for the ages. I'll give up a parade and the setting for just a shot at that.

All fluff and not a lot of substance.

This. This is what I was trying to portray. I'm not saying it isn't the best fan experience for a bowl game, but as far as the meaning of it on the football level, it has lost some of its prestige. The goal used to be to make it to the Rose Bowl for a BIG and P-12 team, the goal now is to make it to the playoffs and hopefully the Rose Bowl can be there as a 2nd option.

My point is that on a football level, it is just not the same as it was several years ago. It would be nice, yes, but I take a chance in the playoffs over it because that really makes a special season and the team is recognized as one of the best 4 teams.

Wow, the idea that anyone would prefer a bowl trip to a chance to play for a national title absolutely blows my mind.

Good god that's insane.

Odds of the Hawks winning the whole thing are insane my friend. Lose in a semi final and it becomes a faint clouded memory no one cares about.
Rose Bowl is memorable.

Latest posts