The Rose Bowl Has Lost Its Luster.

In years where the Rose Bowl is one of the playoff bowls, I would, of course, want that versus the other. But even then, it isn't really "The Rose Bowl". And how excited was that bowl to have Oregon last year? Probably a lot. Having Florida State? Probably not as much.

Ahh, you're the type who'd rather settle for mediocrity than even try for success, even if the odds were big. I gotcha.

So before the Penn State game in 2008 you'd have rather seen the Hawks play Indiana because it was a sure win?

Look man, if Ferentz coached the Hawkeyes with the same mind set you have they'd never win a game. The Rose Bowl means absolutely nothing to anyone in this country other than the corporation that promotes it and jilted Iowa fans who are still living in the 80s. Nada. And I love the Hawks as much as anyone else on this board. This is about football for god's sake, not your Facebook pictures of the parade, or the atmosphere, or telling your kids a bunch of "back in my day" stories (yes, I was around back then). It's a lot like Nebraska fans who still think it's 1995. You're stuck in the past and it's gotten so bad that you'd forsake Iowa's relevancy for some cooky dream you've had for 3 decades.

Even if you don't want to listen to me about that stuff, then think what making the playoffs would do for recruiting and the future of the program. Do you honestly think an 18 year old stud ball player gives a damn about Iowa playing the Rose Bowl? No way because the rest of the world knows it's a no-status game that's given to the leftover teams. Tell that kid that Iowa is a relevant playoff team that just maybe even won the first round, then you're on to something. The implications of that would be huge.

Congratulations! You just owned OK4P, which not many have done! Well done sir. :cool:

The odds aren't big, they are impossible. Iowa cannot win 3 big games in a row. To win a national title, other than in a year like this one where the schedule is remarkably easy, we would likely need to win 5 big games in a single season without losing any of them. It just cannot happen. If you think winning the Rose Bowl and finishing around 8th in the final poll are mediocrity, you must be even more of an insufferable d-bag than me to watch games with. I didn't think the 2002, 2003, 2004 or 2009 teams were mediocre, in fact, those are realistically about the high water marks for a program like Iowa. Sure, I'd love Iowa to win a title, but I'd also love to win the Mega Millions and I don't fret too much about things bordering on the edge of impossible, statistically speaking.

What, so you don't try? You set the bar a little lower to increase your chances. Maybe Stanford or UCLA embarrasses Iowa in the Rose Bowl. Do you realize how often a team like Iowa will be invited to the 4 team playoff? That alone makes a very special year and you would do a disservice to those student athletes if you didn't have them go for the highest bar. You can't say they couldn't put a 3 game win streak. Hell, the sun shines on a dog's azz every once-in-awhile. KF has had just as good of luck against SEC teams as any other in the BIG. Also, KF has had pretty good success when he gets time to prepare a team as in past bowl games. We know Iowa, they can play down to the level of their competition (at least previous years), BUT, they also have the innate ability to play UP to the level of competition pretty well to. When Iowa packs a formidable D, they have a chance, regardless who they are playing.

There is no way you don't take a shot in a special year, NO WAY. That is why they play the game.

Yes, the playoff is the higher goal in today's world.

No, 1 playoff appearance is not > 10 Rose Bowls. 1 could be viewed as a 1 year wonder, the other sustained success

I wonder how many here even thought we would be having this conversation 2 months ago.

Perhaps...but if Iowa goes to the Rose this year, I would wager 60,000 Iowa fans in attendance

That is a big number, a really big number. Baby boomers with a whole lot of disposal income will cover some of it, GenXers well established in their careers will cover a little bit more, but 60,000 I don't know about that.

That is a big number, a really big number. Baby boomers with a whole lot of disposal income will cover some of it, GenXers well established in their careers will cover a little bit more, but 60,000 I don't know about that.

60 is huge, we would be north of 50. I'm a Gen X guy who has never gone to a bowl game, but if even me and my dad insist we would go, the pent-up demand is monstrous and Iowa would have a truckload of fans out there. Likely more than we would draw at some lesser pedigreed bowl in the playoffs where the game is on 12/31.

Hey man, if we make it, do you want to crush brews out there while Seth sulks at home because we ain't in the playoffs?

I understand your butt-hurtness about this thread, but no one here said we didn't want the Hawks to go to the Rose Bowl if they don't make the playoffs. But you said you'd rather see them at the RB than the playoff because they'd get beat. I bet you were that kid in gym class dodgeball who purposely got out right away because you weren't going to win, so why bother.

Literally no college coach or player at any level would ever share that same viewpoint. It's just beyond stupid. You apparently wish the Hawks would just roll over so you can go to a parade with your dad and see a game no one cares about? Does that not sound ridiculous to you?

Last edited:
If Iowa ends up in a bowl because they lose a game fine, that's what they've earned, but to want to lose a game before it's even played is just so incredibly stupid I have no way to even understand it.

Winning the conference title alone should trump any bowl, and on top of that you get a chance to play for a national title.

Have some of you lost your minds?

I'd consider traveling to Pasadena. Would not go to a semi final and see us get mauled.

... and to OK4P

For once, this is not about us/fans, this is about the players special season and chance to play for a National Championship.

I'm not saying one has to choose between the Rose or playing in the playoff. Obviously, a trip to the Rose would be terrific and a special bowl. I'm saying that on a football level and emphasis on the importance of the game, the Rose Bowl has lost some luster. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to go and I'm not stating this is particular to only an Iowa scenerio playing in the Rose.

I'm saying in general it is not same for BIG teams as it was several years ago. It's the best consolation game in college football.

Hey man, if we make it, do you want to crush brews out there while Seth sulks at home because we ain't in the playoffs?

Haha Jeff...always the funny man.

Wouldn't sulk at all. But the thread topic is whether the Rose Bowl has lost luster.

It has for the reasons I've mentioned and others.

I've got my tickets and lodging all secured for the B1G champ game....do you?

50K went following the 81 season after 23 or so year Rose drought. This one is longer.. 50K were in Miami after the 2002 season. There would be 60K Iowa fans in Pasadena this year if Iowa goes...fathers and sons wanting to do something like this together one more time...three generations of fan trips...it would be the biggest bowl trip in Iowa history.

Well, so, let's go 12-0 and lose on purpose in Indy so we can all re-live our past in Pasadena.

Yesirreee

50K went following the 81 season after 23 or so year Rose drought. This one is longer.. 50K were in Miami after the 2002 season. There would be 60K Iowa fans in Pasadena this year if Iowa goes...fathers and sons wanting to do something like this together one more time...three generations of fan trips...it would be the biggest bowl trip in Iowa history.
Exactly. We have already discussed it, we would be in one of the groups mentioned...heck...I'm pretty young but it's sort of like the Cubs...who knows when or if Iowa will ever be back in Pasadena. You have to take the opportunity. Any season where they are in Rose Bowl contention is special.

You've seen Rudy too many times and listened to Jim Nance too long.

They make Ivy League football and the British monarchy for pageantry and tradition, and neither of those things hold any significance.

I want winning football.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree...if you're in the Rose bowl...you're a winning football team. But I would personally never tell my grandchildren about the time I sat in World Corporation dome while slurping my 7-Eleven champion gulp....watching the Hawks play some team in the College Football Playoffs presented by Halliburton.

The 125th annual tournament of Roses played at the same Rose Bowl that some of the all time greats of College football played on, and seeing the Hawks join that legacy...that's a story to tell.

So well you all sit here and eat it all up...I'll just enjoy my tradition and history.

Don't get me wrong I'd rather the Hawks not lose a game...but yeah, to me....the Rose Bowl is still special.

Well, so, let's go 12-0 and lose on purpose in Indy so we can all re-live our past in Pasadena.

Yesirreee

The thing is even if Iowa ends up playing in a game called the Rose Bowl , it's not really the Rose Bowl.

The Rose Bowl mattered because it was between two conference winners, not two second or third place teams.

If you can't do it the real way, you didn't really do it.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree...if you're in the Rose bowl...you're a winning football team. But I would personally never tell my grandchildren about the time I sat in World Corporation dome while slurping my 7-Eleven champion gulp....watching the Hawks play some team in the College Football Playoffs presented by Halliburton.

The 125th annual tournament of Roses played at the same Rose Bowl that some of the all time greats of College football played on, and seeing the Hawks join that legacy...that's a story to tell.

So well you all sit here and eat it all up...I'll just enjoy my tradition and history.

Don't get me wrong I'd rather the Hawks not lose a game...but yeah, to me....the Rose Bowl is still special.

An epic tale of a second place finish resulting in a game that was just as corporate yet didn't matter while the rest of the world was watching the top 4 teams play for a national championship.

I can only imagine there was a few guys that clung to the idea of the NIT being the big tournament in basketball to.

The minute the BCS starting switching teams around in bowl games they were over as a meaningful tradition.

Latest posts