The Rose Bowl Has Lost Its Luster.

50K went following the 81 season after 23 or so year Rose drought. This one is longer.. 50K were in Miami after the 2002 season. There would be 60K Iowa fans in Pasadena this year if Iowa goes...fathers and sons wanting to do something like this together one more time...three generations of fan trips...it would be the biggest bowl trip in Iowa history.

My household would fall into this group... have had a chunk of $$ waiting since the '86 Rose Bowl. Have been to 6 different bowls - this is the best. Period. Due to conf. championship games, playoff rankings, etc.... do miss the chance to chant 'Rose Bowl, Rose Bowl' in Kinnick. Great memories.

An epic tale of a second place finish resulting in a game that was just as corporate yet didn't matter while the rest of the world was watching the top 4 teams play for a national championship.

I can only imagine there was a few guys that clung to the idea of the NIT being the big tournament in basketball to.

The minute the BCS starting switching teams around in bowl games they were over as a meaningful tradition.

Wish I could give a couple more thumb's up....excellent point....aka 2003 Orange Bowl anyone?

The only people truly concerned with life-supporting the "tradition" of the old-guard bowls are the Chambers of Commerce and bowl officials of those bowls....hanging on to dear life while the world speeds by.

An epic tale of a second place finish resulting in a game that was just as corporate yet didn't matter while the rest of the world was watching the top 4 teams play for a national championship.

Uh, the playoff games are on December 31. The Rose Bowl is on Jan. 1. Watching one will not preclude watching the other. The 31st is a business day, and one of the games starts at 4 Eastern, before the banks even shut down, and then the other one starts at 8 Eastern, late enough to ensure that folks who want to do some reveling on NYE will miss part of the game. I would postulate that only loser proles with extremely low end jobs and limited social circles will see both playoff games in their entirety this year, but it makes sense, because ESPN (the broadcaster of the games that is desperately trying to maintain relevance) doesn't cater to folks with obligations, it caters to pimple covered 17 year olds.

The thing is even if Iowa ends up playing in a game called the Rose Bowl , it's not really the Rose Bowl.

The Rose Bowl mattered because it was between two conference winners, not two second or third place teams.

If you can't do it the real way, you didn't really do it.

EXACTLY, hence, why I stated it IS NOT the same as it used to be. It's still a terrific bowl trip but my point is that it doesn't quite represent what it used to on a football level. I don't know why some can't understand the message of this thread. :confused:

I would postulate that only loser proles with extremely low end jobs and limited social circles will see both playoff games in their entirety this year.

My office closes the week between Christmas and New Years so my Prole Plan is to watch the 3:00 game start to finish, and then revel and watch the 7:00 game with my limited social circle before the NYE party gets started. Sounds simple enough to me.

If you're mad about not seeing both games, you could probably ask the people coming through your drive through lane to keep you updated until your shift is over. Then when you get home you can sit on the couch with your chain smoking mother and eat playoff Spaghetti-O's (the HyVee brand is actually better) while you're watching the second game. I don't see what the problem is.

My office closes the week between Christmas and New Years so my Prole Plan is to watch the 3:00 game start to finish, and then revel and watch the 7:00 game with my limited social circle before the NYE party gets started. Sounds simple enough to me.

If you're mad about not seeing both games, you could probably ask the people coming through your drive through lane to keep you updated until your shift is over. Then when you get home you can sit on the couch with your chain smoking mother and eat playoff Spaghetti-O's (the HyVee brand is actually better) while you're watching the second game. I don't see what the problem is.

If your office closes between Christmas and New Years, you are by definition a loser prole (or alternatively, some government leech grifting off of my paycheck). Either way, my point stands. Thank you for confirming this for me. Thanks for your input on the best variety of canned "pasta" products.

If your office closes between Christmas and New Years, you are by definition a loser prole (or alternatively, some government leech grifting off of my paycheck). Either way, my point stands. Thank you for confirming this for me. Thanks for your input on the best variety of canned "pasta" products.

Made me think of the comment a few years ago, paraphrase "I took my wife out to Red Lobster on Friday, plopped $50 down and ate like a king!".

Uh, the playoff games are on December 31. The Rose Bowl is on Jan. 1. Watching one will not preclude watching the other. The 31st is a business day, and one of the games starts at 4 Eastern, before the banks even shut down, and then the other one starts at 8 Eastern, late enough to ensure that folks who want to do some reveling on NYE will miss part of the game. I would postulate that only loser proles with extremely low end jobs and limited social circles will see both playoff games in their entirety this year, but it makes sense, because ESPN (the broadcaster of the games that is desperately trying to maintain relevance) doesn't cater to folks with obligations, it caters to pimple covered 17 year olds.

Simply the last resort of a man in an argument with no intellectual leg to stand on. Laughable.

The whole reason a playoff finally came to be is because of how much money it generates in TV revenue.

No one watches bowl games anymore unless their team is involved.

Simply the last resort of a man in an argument with no intellectual leg to stand on. Laughable.

The whole reason a playoff finally came to be is because of how much money it generates in TV revenue.

No one watches bowl games anymore unless their team is involved.

Nice retort, bud. Ratings for the playoff games were down 45% because, as I said, they put them on at a terrible time. Rose was down, too, because Iowa and Stanford, two smaller teams, were in it and it turned into a blowout. Based on the heckling I have received via email, text and whilst walking down the street wearing my Hox lid, I suspect plenty of people did watch the Rose Bowl.

Look man, there have been Iowa teams in the past 15 years where, barring injury, we at least looked like we would have been viable in a 4 team scenario. 2002 and 2009 come to mind. It is an immutable law of nature that Iowa cannot win three big games in a row

There are years where I would sing a different tune, but I ain't sold on the viability of this team against a really stacked team that has had a month of prep time.

Wow, O'Keefe, I know you were really hoping for a Rose Bowl win and thought we had a chance, but you sure were scurred of playing someone good in a bowl game.

Honest question - how many times do you folks need to see Iowa just absolutely crap its pants on a big stage before they realize where we really stand as a program?

Awwww.....dang-gumm-it....Iowa loses it on the big stage because (take your pick, more than one may apply)...

- Road trip. Opposition is playing closer to home.
- Wanted to give younger plays a 'flavor' of what the atmosphere is like, versus, sequestering and preparation.
- Opposition has 30 days to review/scheme for our vanilla packages (leaves them 29 days to rest up). We're tired, they are fresh.
- "just didn't execute" "Snort, that's football." "We'll be alright"
- (Despite eye-watering salaries and new state-of-the-art facilities)....."after-all, we're still just little ol Iowa"
- We arrived 'in country too soon/too late

It's really hard to beat South Beach as a bowl destination. Sure, the actual game locale is a dump, but SoBe just rocks

Don't get me wrong, it's still the Granddaddy of them all, and probably the best bowl to attend with all the festivities including the parade etc., but the Rose Bowl is not the same prestige as it was in the 1980's and 1990's. It started to lose it's luster with the advent of the BCS but still had some meaning for the BIG and PAC 12 teams but not quite the same. I remember in 2002 after Iowa's successful season when everyone thought Iowa was going to go to the Rose Bowl (who can't remember all the roses at the Minnesota game and Brad Banks having a rose in his mouth after the game) but only to be swapped up by the Orange Bowl committee. I personally wasn't really slighted at that point as I was excited for Iowa to play in the Orange Bowl against USC.

Now with the implementation of the playoff system, the Rose Bowl has lost even a little more of its shine, especially when it is not included in the rotation in the playoff system. Now the goal of the teams is to get into the playoff system regardless of what specific bowl it is. The goal at the beginning of the year is to make the 4 team playoff, even if it means you may have to fall back to the Rose Bowl, which is not a bad consolation prize.

So, most years the BIG champion will be invited to the playoff system when in years past the true BIG champion would play in the Rose Bowl. Now, often times, the BIG 2nd best team will get the Rose invite, unless the Rose Bowl will have to host two different conference teams.

I am happy with the new playoff system as I like the teams to play for the championship, but my point to the younger folks is that the Rose Bowl just isn't the same as it was in the 1980's, and unfortunately, is not quite as prestigious as it once was.

Agree or disagree? Discuss.

Agree 100%. Playoff games are what really matter and the rest are just consolation prizes. Honestly I was not even close to as disappointed with the blow out bowl loss as I was with the loss to Michigan State. Stanford was very clearly the more talented team and we were out coached. Fooled by the fumblerooski. Memories of fake punts of yesteryear. Whenever the rose bowl is not part of the playoff, it is just a consolation prize game.

Latest posts