The Pulse: Lookin' Good Jon

Great Show Jon and congrats.

BUT, it looked like you spent a little too much time glossing your face.

Caught the second go round last night...very cool concept. I plan on setting my DVD for this every week. Congrats!

I loved the show especially when he (I can't remember his name) was saying you can't fabricate a rivalry and you slipped it in at the end about Iowa playing in 30+ games against Nebraska.

Jon, you've come a long ways from when you first started do radio in the afternoons on KXnO! I remember how how nervous you sounded or how unsure of how the show was going the first few shows. Then you made it your own and it took off.

Then the first few shows with Deace in the mornings I felt sorry for you cuz he would practically eat you a live the way he would try to control all of the conversations or try to take the show over for himself.

But looking back that probably made you stronger to be able to butt heads with this guy in your new show.

I'm really looking forward to see how this show evloves going forward.

I'm really liking the Big 10 network and where it's going. It's must see TV!

I think the years on TV and radio with Deace has certainly prepared me for this. He's about the best at debate that I know of...so it's either rise up, or you are toast ;)

Thanks, Rob. Gotta set my DVR. The segment last night was awesome. Psyched to watch the whole show!!

Yeah I said "30-plus game history" so I knew I was covered ;)
Congrats, Jon, and you did a great job.

When the OSU guy brought up the whole "fabricated rivalry" thing, instead of bringing up Nebraska/Iowa you could've said "You mean Nebraska and Penn State?" and let him explain himself.

That would've been fun!

At first blush, I really only see two "fabricated rivalries" - Iowa/Purdue (fabricated from necessity), and Nebraska/PSU (fabricated for TV).

Congrats on your first show,Jon. You did very well. Show has real potential. Bentley should be pretty good once he settles in also. Gives you a East-West feel also.
You would not be human if you were not a bit drained after that first taste of live TV beaming into 75 million homes....that would be stressful on most people.
I presume it will be taped from here on in,which should relieve any pressure.

BTN is really taking off ..last year was the turning point for original programming and now it should soar...The Pulse is a very solid addition.
As for your career arc, I think it is safe to say you are living proof that dreams can come true, if you work your butt off,and are smart,as you were jumping on the internet as a vehicle to the big time. Congrats.

The numbers were less important to me than Jon showing that Iowa/Nebraska is set up nicely for an instant rivalry. "30 plus" gets the message across. Jon isn't gonna back down and that's what we like to see.

Congrats on your first show,Jon. You did very well. Show has real potential. Bentley should be pretty good once he settles in also. Gives you a East-West feel also.
You would not be human if you were not a bit drained after that first taste of live TV beaming into 75 million homes....that would be stressful on most people.
I presume it will be taped from here on in,which should relieve any pressure.

BTN is really taking off ..last year was the turning point for original programming and now it should soar...The Pulse is a very solid addition.
As for your career arc, I think it is safe to say you are living proof that dreams can come true, if you work your butt off,and are smart,as you were jumping on the internet as a vehicle to the big time. Congrats.

BTN has grown very large legs and its footprint now extends virtually from coast to coast. How else would the Big Ten have accommodated schools like Rutgers and Maryland? Congratulations to Jon and to everyone who helped ease it through its growing pains and turned it into the premiere athletic conference-oriented network that it is!

BTN has grown very large legs and its footprint now extends virtually from coast to coast. How else would the Big Ten have accommodated schools like Rutgers and Maryland? Congratulations to Jon and to everyone who helped ease it through its growing pains and turned it into the premiere athletic conference-oriented network that it is!

thread necrophilia

People just aren't giving JM enough credit with his work for the BTN, and his role in getting RU and MD to join the B1G. The B1G was just about to offer ISU before he stepped in.

People just aren't giving JM enough credit with his work for the BTN, and his role in getting RU and MD to join the B1G. The B1G was just about to offer ISU before he stepped in.

Don't miss the Jon Miller talk. He was terribly instrumental in the growth of the BTN and positioning it so the Big Ten embraced the membership of relevant and value-added institutions to the east, not the west. Jon knew the real money (ie, cable customers, viewership, advertiser dollars, sponsorships, recruits) was in the heavy-populated, relatively wealthy Mid-Atlantic and Northeast states, not an ag institution in the center of Iowa.

Latest posts