The problem with Boise State.

IowaNYYfan

The argument heard most often by the pundits on ESPN who can't stop talking about Boise State is that "well, they can play with anyone in the country."

I completely agree with that, but that point is completely irrelevant.

They can play with anyone, but they can't play WEEK IN AND WEEK OUT with the big boys like teams in the Big Ten, SEC, Pac 10, Big 12, etc do. They could probably beat Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa, or Michigan but no one in their right mind would pick them to beat all those teams if they played them week after week.

It's like if someone in high school takes foods, home ec, shop, and one hard class in chemistry and thinks they deserve to be the valedictorian instead of someone who took physics, calculus, composition, and government and did a little bit worse.

That's why even if Ohio State or Iowa loses one game in their grueling schedule, Boise State still doesn't deserve to jump them to get to the national title.

The argument heard most often by the pundits on ESPN who can't stop talking about Boise State is that "well, they can play with anyone in the country."

They can play with anyone, but they can't play WEEK IN AND WEEK OUT with the big boys like teams in the Big Ten, SEC, Pac 10, Big 12, etc do. They could probably beat Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa, or Michigan but no one in their right mind would pick them to beat all those teams if they played them week after week.

It's like if someone in high school takes foods, home ec, shop, and one hard class in chemistry and thinks they deserve to be the valedictorian instead of someone who took physics, calculus, composition, and government and did a little bit worse.

That's why even if Ohio State or Iowa loses one game in their grueling schedule, Boise State still doesn't deserve to jump them to get to the national title.

I think the other issue that not enough people consider is that if they were playing a slate of BCS teams, they would physically experience more bumps, bruises and injuries. When you fill up on a schedule of cupcakes, it's easier to keep your #1's healthy the entire season. Get out to a decent lead, empty the bench, rest the starters. If they had to work through a physical schedule that included Wisconsin, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, MSU etc.... it might be a different story. Not only would the games be closer and the wins be more difficult to get, but how good would they be if they had to go to a backup at a key position?

The whole Boise State being legit argument has holes in it. Oh sure, they have beaten some good teams...here and there. Oklahoma a few years back was probably the best example of playing the big boys and beating them, but how good would they be if they had to endure a much more physically demanding schedule like the rest of the top BCS teams?

+1 I totally agree.

I think the other issue that not enough people consider is that if they were playing a slate of BCS teams, they would physically experience more bumps, bruises and injuries. When you fill up on a schedule of cupcakes, it's easier to keep your #1's healthy the entire season. Get out to a decent lead, empty the bench, rest the starters. If they had to work through a physical schedule that included Wisconsin, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, MSU etc.... it might be a different story. Not only would the games be closer and the wins be more difficult to get, but how good would they be if they had to go to a backup at a key position?

The whole Boise State being legit argument has holes in it. Oh sure, they have beaten some good teams...here and there. Oklahoma a few years back was probably the best example of playing the big boys and beating them, but how good would they be if they had to endure a much more physically demanding schedule like the rest of the top BCS teams?

It's not that they can't....maybe they can....but it's that we don't know if they can.

Think about the MSU game last year. It was a game we won against a middling Big Ten team, but during the game we lost Richardson, Greenwood, Robinson, and Sandeman all for multiple games. Boise doesn't experience that kind of pounding on a weekly basis and I'd like to see them have the depth to deal with it.

Boise State has beaten some good teams in the last few years but usually have to use trickeration to do it. Oklahoma game comes to mind.

They could probably beat Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa, or Michigan but no one in their right mind would pick them to beat all those teams if they played them week after week.

There might be some validity to the argument that Boise State's schedule may save them a bit from the pounding that a Big Ten team takes over the course of the season. But I'm not sure the difference is as great as some folks would like to think it is. There are plenty of non-contact football injuries. And what's the difference between a 295 lb. D-tackle falling on the back of your leg or a 250 lb. tackle? At game speed they can both do serious damage. Unless someone can show that Boise State starters have missed a statistically significant fewer number of games over the past 5 years than starters for the average BCS school I'll have to say it may be a slight advantage at best.

As for the quoted argument above...it's irrelevant. The vast majority of BCS schools would not be favored to make it through that schedule unbeaten either.

I'm tired of BSU. It was smart of them to put it up against VT though. Good results in teh polls for playing an always overrated opponent. Might as well start scheduling Clemson every year if they want another sure win. They can't play and win against Wisky, PSU, OSU, Michigan, Iowa, and MSU every year. They would def. finish with at least 3 losses playing these teams every year. The worst part is that now we have to deal with the crying from the uninformed game watchers and the media when they yet again don't get in the NC this year.

I'm tired of BSU. It was smart of them to put it up against VT though. Good results in teh polls for playing an always overrated opponent. Might as well start scheduling Clemson every year if they want another sure win. They can't play and win against Wisky, PSU, OSU, Michigan, Iowa, and MSU every year. They would def. finish with at least 3 losses playing these teams every year. The worst part is that now we have to deal with the crying from the uninformed game watchers and the media when they yet again don't get in the NC this year.

Just literally said the exact same thing....

There might be some validity to the argument that Boise State's schedule may save them a bit from the pounding that a Big Ten team takes over the course of the season. But I'm not sure the difference is as great as some folks would like to think it is. There are plenty of non-contact football injuries. And what's the difference between a 295 lb. D-tackle falling on the back of your leg or a 250 lb. tackle? At game speed they can both do serious damage. Unless someone can show that Boise State starters have missed a statistically significant fewer number of games over the past 5 years than starters for the average BCS school I'll have to say it may be a slight advantage at best.

As for the quoted argument above...it's irrelevant. The vast majority of BCS schools would not be favored to make it through that schedule unbeaten either.

Correct....although one or two would....Boise, would not.

I agree with everything said in this thread concerning Boise.

When they were wrapping up their victory tonight, I thought, "damn, this is a scrappy, well coached BCS team, one certainly deserving to be in the BCS Championship conversation".

But then the network posted their remaining schedule where the third game of the season is against (24th) Oregon State at home and the rest of the teams...well, they really aren't even football teams. It's embarrassing for B. St. fans to lobby for the NC. I mean, seriously, how can you have that schedule and with a clear conscious open your pie hole and say "Boise State is deserving of the National Championship". Are you effing kidding me?!

National Rodeo Championship maybe. ;p

I agree can they do it week in and week out. I wish they would have split boise and tcu last year

They were afraid to place Boise and TCU against BCS schools in fear they BOTH would win and totally screw up the BCS making more of a case for a playoff...

They were afraid to place Boise and TCU against BCS schools in fear they BOTH would win and totally screw up the BCS making more of a case for a playoff...

I think it was more of a secondary National champ. game for both programs OR maybe they were afraid to split for fear they BOTH would lose and totally screw up the BCS making less of a case for a playoff...

I think it was more of a secondary National champ. game for both programs OR maybe they were afraid to split for fear they BOTH would lose and totally screw up the BCS making less of a case for a playoff...

haha well the BCS would have loved them to both lose so they wouldnt keep the playoff talks going

I think VaTech was overrated at #10....Boise better hope VaTech wins 10 games this year, otherwise the computeres will not like them.

Latest posts