The path forward

There are D3 basketball players that have made good money playing overseas. I know Cook is struggling right now but he definitely has the talent to play overseas. Heck, guys like Clemmons and Basabe play overseas.

I would take either Sapp or Mel over TC at this point

RE: transfers. Moss has used his redshirt year, wouldn't he have to drop down a league or graduate? Dailey only has one year of eligibility left...can he redshirt if he transfers. Seems like both are in a tough situation to be transferring.

Last edited:
There are D3 basketball players that have made good money playing overseas. I know Cook is struggling right now but he definitely has the talent to play overseas. Heck, guys like Clemmons and Basabe play overseas.
I never said he wouldn't end up playing for Goatherderstan, but I don't see him leaving as a junior to do so. That doesn't happen too often.

The team Basabe plays for missed payroll for all of March-June of last year, btw, and every player who goes over to those smaller clubs comes back and says how much it sucks. You think Cook will leave to go play for some team in Azerbaijan in a gym with 3 people watching? Again I'm not saying he doesn't leave when he's done here, but other than the pay he lives like a king on campus and gets to play in front of national TV crowds. He knows he's not NBA material and his diploma is worth way more than a couple years in the Balkans.

I would take either Sapp or Mel over TC at this point

RE: transfers. Moss has used his redshirt year, wouldn't he have to drop down a league or graduate? Dailey only has one year of eligibility left...can he redshirt if he transfers. Seems like both are in a tough situation to be transferring.
Cook is struggling right now, but he has significantly more basketball talent than either of those guys. He can carve out a nice career overseas.

Moss would be eligible to graduate transfer because he used his redshirt. So as long as he is graduating here in the spring, he can transfer D1 and immediately play.

He would have suitors but my guess is if he leaves it’s to graduate pursue an international career.

I never said he wouldn't end up playing for Goatherderstan, but I don't see him leaving as a junior to do so. That doesn't happen too often.

The team Basabe plays for missed payroll for all of March-June of last year, btw, and every player who goes over to those smaller clubs comes back and says how much it sucks. You think Cook will leave to go play for some team in Azerbaijan in a gym with 3 people watching? Again I'm not saying he doesn't leave when he's done here, but other than the pay he lives like a king on campus and gets to play in front of national TV crowds. He knows he's not NBA material and his diploma is worth way more than a couple years in the Balkans.
My opinion is that since the moment he’s stepped on campus he has felt he’s an NBA guy and a guy who will leave early to pursue it. I don’t think it’s the right decision. That’s where guys like you get confused. None of us are saying he should go pro, we are saying he’s given every indication that is the plan. It’s the wrong decision, but he’d hardly be the first guy to leave before he should.

So my guess is he goes pro in hope of getting drafted and likely doesn’t get drafted. What happens from there is anyone’s guess.

Cook is struggling right now, but he has significantly more basketball talent than either of those guys. He can carve out a nice career overseas.

Moss would be eligible to graduate transfer because he used his redshirt. So as long as he is graduating here in the spring, he can transfer D1 and immediately play.

He would have suitors but my guess is if he leaves it’s to graduate pursue an international career.
Yeah if he's self aware of that. Are the coaches and people around him being honest with him about things? Where these kids heads are is anyones guess.

The amount of times has Cook brought the ball up the court and I've caught myself yelling at him to pass it to a guard is way too many. He does the same thing every time. A few times he'll draw a foul doing that but most of the time he just can't make the right play. His basketball IQ most of the time just isn't where it should be for a 3rd year player. Between that and his lack of shooting touch he's going to have a rough go as a pro in most leagues... With no shot at the NBA.

I see two paths for Cook. He could easily play overseas. He's much better than a lot of guys who get over there. He'd likely easily command a 100k salary over there and sports income over there is tax free. Keep in mind ISU's Matt Thomas, a good player but not the caliber of player TC is, makes 500k per year in Spain tax free. China also has some pretty highly paid players now (notably Jimmer Fredette, who is the Kobe of China basically).

Also, the new 2-way contract available for NBA teams increases the pay in the G-League significantly up to 250k, Plus, any 10 day or other contracts you get in the NBA is at the NBA base salary. You can make a lot on those. Niang had one, Deonte Burton had one, and I think Naz Long was on one and all but Naz have signed longer term deals with an NBA team. I could easily see an NBA team using one of those on TC.

That said, I agree it's probably in his best interest to come back.

Your first paragraph makes a lot of sense. Your second is crazy talk. Cook is not good enough for the NBA G League. So that is not a realistic option for him. I hope he leaves but that is one place I know he won't be going to.

My opinion is that since the moment he’s stepped on campus he has felt he’s an NBA guy and a guy who will leave early to pursue it. I don’t think it’s the right decision. That’s where guys like you get confused. None of us are saying he should go pro, we are saying he’s given every indication that is the plan. It’s the wrong decision, but he’d hardly be the first guy to leave before he should.

So my guess is he goes pro in hope of getting drafted and likely doesn’t get drafted. What happens from there is anyone’s guess.
Dreams die hard. I'm sure he saw himself in that light. He played HS ball with Jason Tatum, and he likely envisioned Iowa just as a way station to the NBA, as college was for Tatum. Turns out he's no Jason Tatum, nor any reasonable facsimile of him (which is hardly a slight, not many guys are). But that's probably a difficult pill to swallow for him. If he came back with a focus on being a defensive stopper, he might get a look in the NBA; however, it doesn't seem to me that he's interested in doing that - at least not on any sustained basis so far. I'd want him back next year. I'm also presuming that he'd be a better player next year because he'd recognize the holes in his game and do the things he would need to do to improve. That would be a win-win. But, I don't get the feeling that's how it will play out.

Your first paragraph makes a lot of sense. Your second is crazy talk. Cook is not good enough for the NBA G League. So that is not a realistic option for him. I hope he leaves but that is one place I know he won't be going to.
You do realize Adam Woodbury plays in the G league? The contracts in the G league aren’t very good, unless you get the two way as @BryceC described. I doubt Cook would get a two way.

Most of the smarter guys, like Matt Thomas for example realize they aren’t making he NBA and go make some good money overseas for several years and come back to the states and have it on easy street. Some can’t give up the NBA dream and play in the G league for several years.

I see two paths for Cook. He could easily play overseas. He's much better than a lot of guys who get over there. He'd likely easily command a 100k salary over there and sports income over there is tax free. Keep in mind ISU's Matt Thomas, a good player but not the caliber of player TC is, makes 500k per year in Spain tax free. China also has some pretty highly paid players now (notably Jimmer Fredette, who is the Kobe of China basically).

Also, the new 2-way contract available for NBA teams increases the pay in the G-League significantly up to 250k, Plus, any 10 day or other contracts you get in the NBA is at the NBA base salary. You can make a lot on those. Niang had one, Deonte Burton had one, and I think Naz Long was on one and all but Naz have signed longer term deals with an NBA team. I could easily see an NBA team using one of those on TC.

That said, I agree it's probably in his best interest to come back.
Appreciate the info and observations. It was a rational and objective post...refreshing. Thanks!

You do realize Adam Woodbury plays in the G league? The contracts in the G league aren’t very good, unless you get the two way as @BryceC described. I doubt Cook would get a two way.

Most of the smarter guys, like Matt Thomas for example realize they aren’t making he NBA and go make some good money overseas for several years and come back to the states and have it on easy street. Some can’t give up the NBA dream and play in the G league for several years.

You do realize Adam Woodbury plays defense? Which means you have a chance to get to the NBA someday. Cook doesn't play defense. Until he does, no shot for him. The only guys in the NBA that refuse to play defense are outstanding offensive players and Cook isn't athletic enough or a good enough shooter to become one.

Assuming Cook goes pro and Fran refuses to bring in a grad transfer (two most likely events) here is my best case scenario:

-Dailey moves on & Frederick is a better player
(I think at this point it is reasonable to believe this could be true)

-Connor decides to focus on baseball which creates an easier decision to redshirt Pat
(I think some of the negative attention Connor has gotten recently has taken a toll. I also think when he realizes how far behind he is when he joins the baseball team he’s going to realize he needs to stick with it full time. This makes it easier to redshirt Pat as the hope of the two brothers playing together with Fran coaching would be dead)

-Joe T can provide quality minutes at the 1 providing most importantly perimeter defense, and secondly strong ballhandling with some penetration
(I did see some videos of Joe’s team in the playoffs and the defensive level did not seem high so that will be something to watch)

1. JBo 20 / Joe T 20
2. Moss 25 / JBo 10 / CJF 5
3. Wieskamp 30 / CJF 10 (note Moss might technically be the 3 if he’s out there with CJ)
4. Nunge 25 / Pemsl 15
5. Garza 25 / Kriener 15

If it plays out this way and with the above assumptions I think that team could battle for a 6 seed. Tons of experience in that group.

Offensively losing Cook hurts, but I think Joe T will be an upgrade to Cmac and CJF will be an upgrade to Dailey.

Defensively I think Nunge will actually be a huge upgrade to Cook and Joe T hopefully will be much better than Cmac.

I don’t love playing Pemsl at the 4 but if he comes in in good shape and plays with high energy for short spurts off the bench it could work.

That team would be an even better 3pt shooting team than this years squad with Nunge over Cook and CJF over Dailey.

That’s my best case offseason scenario. The chances of all that or even most of that happening are very unlikely.

You do realize Adam Woodbury plays defense? Which means you have a chance to get to the NBA someday. Cook doesn't play defense. Until he does, no shot for him. The only guys in the NBA that refuse to play defense are outstanding offensive players and Cook isn't athletic enough or a good enough shooter to become one.
Care for a wager?

I will bet you if Cook does indeed go pro, he will sign a G-league contract next year.

Here’s the thing. I’m totally on the same page with you guys that Cook will never make the NBA, for a variety of reasons. There are plenty of dudes in the G league that are less talented than Cook.

Assuming Cook goes pro and Fran refuses to bring in a grad transfer (two most likely events) here is my best case scenario:

-Connor decides to focus on baseball which creates an easier decision to redshirt Pat
(I think some of the negative attention Connor has gotten recently has taken a toll. I also think when he realizes how far behind he is when he joins the baseball team he’s going to realize he needs to stick with it full time. This makes it easier to redshirt Pat as the hope of the two brothers playing together with Fran coaching would be dead)

-Joe T can provide quality minutes at the 1 providing most importantly perimeter defense, and secondly strong ballhandling with some penetration
(I did see some videos of Joe’s team in the playoffs and the defensive level did not seem high so that will be something to watch)

1. JBo 20 / Joe T 20
3. Wieskamp 30 / CJF 10 (note Moss might technically be the 3 if he’s out there with CJ)
4. Nunge 25 / Pemsl 15
5. Garza 25 / Kriener 15

If it plays out this way and with the above assumptions I think that team could battle for a 6 seed. Tons of experience in that group.

Offensively losing Cook hurts, but I think Joe T will be an upgrade to Cmac and CJF will be an upgrade to Dailey.

Defensively I think Nunge will actually be a huge upgrade to Cook and Joe T hopefully will be much better than Cmac.

I don’t love playing Pemsl at the 4 but if he comes in in good shape and plays with high energy for short spurts off the bench it could work.

That team would be an even better 3pt shooting team than this years squad with Nunge over Cook and CJF over Dailey.

That’s my best case offseason scenario. The chances of all that or even most of that happening are very unlikely.
I could see Connor throwing in the towel on hoops too for that reason. The timing of when he should be getting in full swing for baseball was a month ago already and I'm not sure how much time he's put into it so far during this hoops season is anyones guess. But it's probably not as much as he'd like or should. I can't see him half assing his effort towards what most likely is his future in baseball. To instead play hoops for his Dad and with his bro as a backup pg (and not having a bunch of fun or success at that)

PM needs to redshirt. I'll go on the record and say that. I doubt he'll gain 25 lbs by next yr. For him to play right away just a little bit to play with his brother would be dumb. If you want him at his best by his JR/SR yrs eligibility wise he's as much of a prime suspect to redshirt then what Baer was or Dailey...

...y'know, there aren't a lot of 5-star recruits redshirting...makes me think that Patrick probably isn't a five-star recruit...

I could see Connor throwing in the towel on hoops too for that reason. The timing of when he should be getting in full swing for baseball was a month ago already and I'm not sure how much time he's put into it so far during this hoops season is anyones guess. But it's probably not as much as he'd like or should. I can't see him half assing his effort towards what most likely is his future in baseball. To instead play hoops for his Dad and with his bro as a backup pg (and not having a bunch of fun or success at that)

PM needs to redshirt. I'll go on the record and say that. I doubt he'll gain 25 lbs by next yr. For him to play right away just a little bit to play with his brother would be dumb. If you want him at his best by his JR/SR yrs eligibility wise he's as much of a prime suspect to redshirt then what Baer was or Dailey...
Dailey has to be kicking himself for not redshirting. He barely played that year and now if he transfers he’s going to have to sit out a full year. Maybe he can apply for an eligibility waiver because of the Dolphin incident? I’m sort of only half joking with that.

Where the hell would Cook go? He’s having a total shit year, and if last season wasn’t good enough for him to leave, he sure isn’t going anywhere after this one.

I don’t understand you people who still drink the kool aid about Cook being good enough to get paid playing basketball, let alone in Europe or the NBA.

He is very one-dimensional and his defense is suspect, IMO.

Sometimes I wonder if Iowa would be better with Kreiner and Cooks roles changing and Kreiner getting more minutes. Kreiner seems to have a better overall game, inside moves, much better mid range shot, 3 pt shot, prob free throws. Defense may be a push.

I agree. He would be a man among boys over there. His athleticism would really show.

1. JBo 20 / Joe T 20
4. Nunge 25 / Pemsl 15
5. Garza 25 / Kriener 15

I think, or would have Kreiner getting more of Nunge's minutes.

Latest posts