The Official Happy Valentine's Day Massacre Game Thread

In all fairness tho, a 10 point loss for a Lick team is about the same as a 20 point loss for a Fran team.
I'm only willing to go by the actual recorded score of the game. Sorry. There's no "in all fairness" stat in basketball, that I've ever seen. And I've been around a long time. ;)

I really do wonder what our backcourt would look like this year if Connor was never in the picture. Whether it's because of negative recruiting, players not wanting to deal with the coaches son, or Fran constructing the roster around his son, it has to have had an impact. If Connor is good enough to justify all the negative, then all is good. If he ends up being just another player, I don't think Fran will survive it.

I really do wonder what our backcourt would look like this year if Connor was never in the picture. Whether it's because of negative recruiting, players not wanting to deal with the coaches son, or Fran constructing the roster around his son, it has to have had an impact. If Connor is good enough to justify all the negative, then all is good. If he ends up being just another player, I don't think Fran will survive it.
Should be interesting if Connor has a nice baseball season.

I'm only willing to go by the actual recorded score of the game. Sorry. There's no "in all fairness" stat in basketball, that I've ever seen. And I've been around a long time. ;)

Hey a stat is a stat. But what I said is true. A Lick team losing by 10 was just as pitiful as a Fran team losing by 20.

Not really, things need to change that’s obvious. Some players on this current team do not belong and hopefully that runs it’s course. But there’s some positive pieces. I’m really excited about Weiskamp. Hopefully we can get Locure. I’m always trying to find the positives in any bad situation. This year pains me to the core because I love Iowa BBall. Hopefully it gets better. Tired of reading all these bullshit posts on here and all the negativity quite frankly. It’s hard not to agree with it all tho at times. Frustration has set into us all.
It will get better. It might even get good. It just won't get great.

Agreed, maybe it's just not there. But I feel like confidence and coaching are what are holding him back. He flashes awesome at times and is one of the few who can guard on def.

Does he really guard well tho? I don't always catch everything, but I've never really seen him lock someone down.

Some guys are athletes but aren't basketball players. That's Moss. The next time I see him make a smart basketball play will be the first.

I think people will be surprised how big of a difference a slight upgrade at the 2 and 3 spots will make. We don't have a single 2 or 3 on the team that would be a top 8 player on almost any other Big 10 team.

I can't believe what I just read. You and InGoodCo have continually told the rest of us there is plenty of talent on this team and how many would get plenty of play on other B1G teams.

It will get better. It might even get good. It just won't get great.

That's where I'm at. These players are incapable of great. In 2 years we could be great if all the freshmen and incoming guys end up great. But this sophomore class doesn't have the ability to be great.

I think the roster is so primed for Connor that it's highly unlikely he won't play basketball.
But, if he's really doing well in hardball and that means more $$ for him down the road.... Wouldn't that be interesting if he plays basketball then leaves early to play baseball. I bet that wouldn't cause any rifts among the players.

Agreed, maybe it's just not there. But I feel like confidence and coaching are what are holding him back. He flashes awesome at times and is one of the few who can guard on def.

Holding him back from zero court smarts? Holding him back from less bricks? Holding him back from middle school handles? He's a guy that got by bc he wasn't even a top 3 option on his team, so he was likely able to use his athleticism to score or get by his guy. At least Cook, and Jordan to a degree, appear to have worked on their game in the offseason. Moss is probably pretty much the same guy as he was in high school.

I can't believe what I just read. You and InGoodCo have continually told the rest of us there is plenty of talent on this team and how many would get plenty of play on other B1G teams.

There are plenty that would get playing time. Just no 2s or 3s. We have one guy on our team that is a 1 2 or 3 that would average 20 minutes on almost any Big 10 team.

Not great talent, but i do nelieve there's enough talent to have better results than shown thus far.
Offensive talent for sure. But every single player on this squad sucks horribly at defense. Garza will get better and will be better than Woody, but the rest of them just don’t have it and aren’t going to somehow learn it over the summer. I honestly think we’re screwed for a while.

That's where I'm at. These players are incapable of great. In 2 years we could be great if all the freshmen and incoming guys end up great. But this sophomore class doesn't have the ability to be great.
The pieces are too athletically challenged to get great.