The next three weeks

You want to stop Penn State, stop McSorley. Contain him, slow him down. Limit his touches.

To stop Northwestern. Stop Thorson. Don't let him get comfortable. They are just beginning to develop a running game.

Purdue is a problem we have seen coming for awhile. Their defense gets better every week. They have always had a good offense and now with their defense, they are a solid team.

Lose any one of these games and it's second place or worse in the West. Wisconsin has Penn State, NW and Purdue left on their schedule. All away games. Good chance they will lose to Purdue and Penn State. NW doubtful.

Other than Iowa, Purdue has MSU and Wisconsin to contend with. The West is still up for grabs.

Last edited:
PSU: Begins and ends with McSorley. Slow him down and you got a good shot of winning. You don’t, you won’t. That simple.

Purdue: This feels like a loss to me. Iowa’s d-line has to control this game. If they don’t, Iowa will be playing catch-up all game long. That type of game Iowa doesn’t play very well.

NW: This isn’t a great NW team but they will give Iowa some problems. If they can get to an early lead and just suffocate them they can win going away. Don’t let this game be close late, that will play right into their hands and Iowa might lose.

I think they come out of this stretch 2-1. I think Purdue gets them.

I still think we have the best D line in the nation. They contain and pressure. If we need a spy, how about Amani Jones. Surely he can figure out "Watch the quarterback. If he runs, kill him."

PSU: Begins and ends with McSorley. Slow him down and you got a good shot of winning. You don’t, you won’t. That simple.

Purdue: This feels like a loss to me. Iowa’s d-line has to control this game. If they don’t, Iowa will be playing catch-up all game long. That type of game Iowa doesn’t play very well.

NW: This isn’t a great NW team but they will give Iowa some problems. If they can get to an early lead and just suffocate them they can win going away. Don’t let this game be close late, that will play right into their hands and Iowa might lose.

I think they come out of this stretch 2-1. I think Purdue gets them.

I agree. Purdue is not a team you want to play catch up with. But neither is Iowa. I think Iowa has the edge. But not a very big edge.

NW just doesn't have the horses like they used to. It's Thorson.

My only fear is we beat pee st., Handle business at Peedue and have a step on dick moment with NW. We have been the better team all yr than our competition including whisky but you know as well as I the Hawk's dna has that WTF game every season and I hope it was the wisc game and behind them and not an upcoming game that's left this season!

PsU does not worry me. We are bigger than they are and have anough speed to stay with them. They do not have a Barkley this year. Im not worried.

Purdue will be hurt by their lack of depth by the time we play them. I will admit, this team is the one I feel like has the best chance against us. But, again, they lack depth. Im not worried.

NW is average. They beat an average MSU team. They struggled with a crappy Nebby team. Im not worried.

SFNDSJV5MMY3XHMPIRIC3LZTQM.jpg

...We have been the better team all yr than our competition including whisky but you know as well as I the Hawk's dna has that WTF game every season and I hope it was the wisc game and behind them and not an upcoming game that's left this season!
This has been my theory and I am sticking with it! Hawks drop a game they shouldn't (Wisconsin) and win a game they shouldn't (PSU). Hawks should take care of business @ NW. Purdue looks to be the defining game of the season. Win in West Lafayette and the sky is the limit.

We have a good chance against Penn State, maybe 50/50, Northwestern, 60/40, but after seeing Purdue pummel "The OSU" I put Iowa's chances at 40/60. Iowa hasn't seen a QB as good as Purdue's all year and that fastest RB's I've seen in a while. They made Ohio State's defense look stupid. I would be estatic to win 2 of 3, but I expect we go one of three. Sorry, I just don't see 3-0.

First off Northwestern is terrible. Throw past upsets out because they have no playmakers. Anything less than a blowout would be a failure.

I think we’re a better team than PSU but it’s at their place so it’s hard to predict. However, they barely beat us last time and we are better, they don’t have Barkley.

Purdue, OSU blitzed like crazy and got down and had to pass on offense. Iowa won’t blitz like crazy and will run much more. The biggest concern is that WR Moore, he’s a stud and a freshman. The best WR we’ve seen all year. As long as we don’t have LBs on him we should be ok.
Id like to see AJ Epenesa see more PT in the next 3 weeks. Will need his athletic ability to speed up McSorley AND Brohm.

I like "worrying" about our chances, possessing a top 5 nationally ranked defense. Not only that, we have played teams that actually have good offenses. Iowa State scored 3. Maryland 0. Indiana more than they earned. Wisconsin..blame Iowa special teams. I think we stay even in turnovers each of the 3 games and we come out 3-0.

Id like to see AJ Epenesa see more PT in the next 3 weeks. Will need his athletic ability to speed up McSorley AND Brohm.

Boy, he is the better psss rusher, for sure. But if you go after McSorley so hard that you overrun him, he will pop out of the pocket on that side and will be off to the races. And gouging us for big yardage.

This is truly the one game where Hesse will shine, by setting the edge and keeping the edge. The 4 DL need to methodically collapse that pocket around him and not “let him out.”

When it is 3rd and long, then absolutely we need AJE in there, but with the caviat that Hooker becomes a spy and has no coverage responsibilities.

I think it would be better to squeeze that pocket around him, and then when he throws it, all of those crazy tall DL get both hands up in the passing lane and either knock that pass down, or tip it so that one of our back 7 can take it the other way. Even if they don’t get a piece of it, McSorly may have to change the trajectory of the pass. That could lead to lots of incomplete passes, or even a pick. Then McSorly starts getting frustrated and may start making some bad decisions.

Hawks win! Don’t let him out of that pocket. Hopefully the refs don’t allow PSU to get away with holding on every play... DL dominates the PSU OLine.

Penn State is McSorely. Contain him and the games over. Their defense is in the bottom half of the conference. On offense it's McSorely. He's their leading rusher. He has a 55% completion percentage. I see a win for Iowa.

Boy, he is the better psss rusher, for sure. But if you go after McSorley so hard that you overrun him, he will pop out of the pocket on that side and will be off to the races. And gouging us for big yardage.

This is truly the one game where Hesse will shine, by setting the edge and keeping the edge. The 4 DL need to methodically collapse that pocket around him and not “let him out.”

When it is 3rd and long, then absolutely we need AJE in there, but with the caviat that Hooker becomes a spy and has no coverage responsibilities.

I think it would be better to squeeze that pocket around him, and then when he throws it, all of those crazy tall DL get both hands up in the passing lane and either knock that pass down, or tip it so that one of our back 7 can take it the other way. Even if they don’t get a piece of it, McSorly may have to change the trajectory of the pass. That could lead to lots of incomplete passes, or even a pick. Then McSorly starts getting frustrated and may start making some bad decisions.

Hawks win! Don’t let him out of that pocket. Hopefully the refs don’t allow PSU to get away with holding on every play... DL dominates the PSU OLine.
Pretty much this. I do not think we will see the Hawks pinning their ears back and going like they have in the past few games.

We will get pressure, but the only sacks we will see are coverage sacks.

I think it will be close at first, but I believe the Hawks are gonna blow their doors off in the second half. It would be such sweet revenge to blow them out in their house! It would make up for last two humilating losses to them.

Kirk only beats Fitz when Iowa's talent advantage is quite evident. When the talent is anywhere to close it's Fitz > Kirk in coaching for the game.

It appears that Iowa's talent advantage is enough to carry that day.

The biggest difference with Purdue vs OSU was red zone scoring. OSU drove up and down the field but couldn't punch it in because they have no power run game. Read draws don't work well unless you have a mobile QB that is a threat to run. OSU had plenty of chances but couldn't get it down, Purdue defense played well with their backs against the wall.

With Penn State we need to just bring the DE whenever they run a read draw. Take out the guy running outside to make sure the runner stays between the tackles. Punish them every time.

Its like picking your favorite ice cream flavor...however, Eppy has an amazing ability to drive and shuck and his hand strength and reach will keep McSorley in check. Our secondary is improving but still young. Hornibrook sucks but with time he picked us apart in the 4th qtr. Have to make McSorley get it out early. Heck, even let him run a little bit. I like our odds stopping him more often than not and putting some big painful bodies on him. He will beg for the end of the game

Everyone talking about the "Iowa DNA" game where they mess it up. Well, I believe it's already happened. Hawkeyes have so much balance, this is going to be a lot of fun down stretch.

BTW, Where are the BF haters now?! -- Geaux Hawks!!