The Next Hawkeye Assistant Coach Will Be...

But promoting the current video coordinator does not upgrade the open position if you ask me.

You could be right there. I don't know what type of candidates there are for the position or what Eldridge would be as a full-time assistant.

I cant say he has a demonstrated track record as a recruiter or a defensive guru. I hope the new assistant can bring one if not if not both to the table.

How about Chris Calloway? He’s a Duke assistant and is from St.Louis. You could give him the St.Louis area and being a Duke assistant would carry a little weight. He is still a fairly young black coach who could easily relate to younger kids. The move would also bring him back to the Midwest where he still has family ties.
Chris Calloway is an interesting possibility. St. Louis is definitely in our recruiting sphere. Of course, Cook is from there and Caleb Love is too. Others will be in the future. Iowa and IL are the closest B1G schools to St. Louis and (with IL more focused on instate Chicago) it might be a good city to establish a recruiting pipeline to.

Ben McCollum (coaching at NW Missouri St) probably has St Louis recruiting ties as well as Iowa family ties.

I agree it’s important to move quickly, but intelligently, on the next assistant. It could be a recruiting opportunity with a good choice.

Isn't Josh Oglesby currently on staff in some capacity now?

Maybe Gatens is looking for a job after failing to land Maisie Dailey for Drake?

The guy sounds like he deserves a promotion. Fran would know his character and work ethic. It sounds like a good thing to me.

Hiring a video coordinator to coach major college basketball is almost like picking a man off the street. Just because Fran likes the guy doesn't make him a qualified coach who can add positives to the team or to recruiting.

Hiring a video coordinator to coach major college basketball is almost like picking a man off the street. Just because Fran likes the guy doesn't make him a qualified coach who can add positives to the team or to recruiting.
He played college ball for Fran at UNC-G and I believe played overseas for many years. He’s also coached at the high school level.

Being the video coordinator isn’t simply a job where you organize film and hand it off to someone. He likely sits in on all the coaches meetings, attends all the practices and games. I’m not sure in what capacity he’s allowed to coach players but guys in his position are often looking to work their way up into the coaching ranks.

that's a fair way to look at it. another fair way to look at it is having a good ast coach as video coordinator waiting for an opening. that's the devil's advocate post. but it's true. we truthfully don't know which it will be. and since it's fran's neck on the line, he has the right to pick his guy. i do see the potential upside with this cat knowing fran's system inside out, but we don't know if he will be the answer.

Nothing against the guy, but I was hoping for a step up from the coach who departed. Experience wise, i dont feel we are getting that.

So who will be the next video coordinator for the basketball team?

TBD.

I think Matt Gatens would have a good shot at it if he wanted it. Not sure he would make the move from director of basketball ops at Drake to video coordinator here. He might have a better chance to move up to an on-court coaching position at Drake than he does here.