The Next Hawkeye Assistant Coach Will Be...

Some coaches have even hired the parents of the players. Charles Manning at Kansas (Danny) and Stanley Roberts Sr. at LSU (Stanley)

You know, it was 35 years ago, but I still remember it was actually “Ed” Manning. I don’t know who Charles Manning is/was.

If you want to play that game. Which I am fine with if he is a difference maker. He can't be Adam Woodbury(nothing against him).

Good point. Maybe we should wait for the next Zion. Cut the brakes on un-named assistant's car. Then hire the kids mom immediately after the memorial service. That's 3 birds, 1 fiery car crash.

I'm hoping this was not taken off of a premium board on TOS.

I've heard Taylor's name. I also think current video coordinator Courtney Eldridge could be a possibility.

I believe that excerpt is from a free article Kakert posted.

Eldridge or Taylor would make sense as they both have deep ties to Fran. Is Iowa Eldridge's first coaching stop? I know he played overseas for awhile after playing for Fran at UNCG in the late 90s early 2000s. Coincidentally enough, Taylor was an assistant for Fran at UNCG at that time as well.

I believe that excerpt is from a free article Kakert posted.

Eldridge or Taylor would make sense as they both have deep ties to Fran. Is Iowa Eldridge's first coaching stop? I know he played overseas for awhile after playing for Fran at UNCG in the late 90s early 2000s. Coincidentally enough, Taylor was an assistant for Fran at UNCG at that time as well.

Eldridge coached in high school:

BIO

Speraw is a former Hawk with Iowa ties. Iowa already has that on the bench. Not that important in my eyes. I do think Dean Oliver is more than qualified, but I think that would likely be consider a step down from where he is now. The only thing that might draw him to Iowa is that he played here, yet he has no connections to the current staff. I want Iowa to hire the best recruiter available regardless of where he went to school.

Also isn't the evaluation period coming up and haven't they changed that from like 5 periods to 2 or something like that? They are gonna need to make a hire fast, you need every available assistant to be involved in that.

Based on these posts, I think Iowa will need to hire about 5 assistant coaches to cover all of their needs.

A defensive coach with CHI, STL or MSP ties is what Iowa needs. You may be able to pull a higher quality assistant if you plan to hand over the reigns of the D to them.

There is a lot of talk about how great a recruiter Francis has been. I have a hard time buying that considering Iowa’s recruiting success. Maybe he’s the best they have but that doesn’t say much. Was he the primary recruiter for TC?

A defensive coach with CHI, STL or MSP ties is what Iowa needs. You may be able to pull a higher quality assistant if you plan to hand over the reigns of the D to them.

There is a lot of talk about how great a recruiter Francis has been. I have a hard time buying that considering Iowa’s recruiting success. Maybe he’s the best they have but that doesn’t say much. Was he the primary recruiter for TC?
Sherman Dillard was the lead recruiter on Cook, Garza, and Aaron White.

People seem to obsess over getting a "defensive coach" but to me its the personnel. Fran has had some decent or even good defenses in the past. Bohannon, cook, Moss etc either don't want to or can't play defense.

Defensive Efficiency rankings under Fran:

2018-19: 205
2017-18: 308
2016-17: 200 (Jok, Cook, Bohannon, Moss, Pemsl)
2015-16: 76 (Uthoff, Clemmons, Woodbury senior year)
2014-15: 40 (White's senior year)
2013-14: 60
2012-13: 33

People seem to obsess over getting a "defensive coach" but to me its the personnel. Fran has had some decent or even good defenses in the past. Bohannon, cook, Moss etc either don't want to or can't play defense.

Defensive Efficiency rankings under Fran:

2018-19: 205
2017-18: 308
2016-17: 200 (Jok, Cook, Bohannon, Moss, Pemsl)
2015-16: 76 (Uthoff, Clemmons, Woodbury senior year)
2014-15: 40 (White's senior year)
2013-14: 60
2012-13: 33
I'm following ya, but I keep thinking about A Francis saying he didn't see any issues with defense during the one game he coached. I think the report of a former player saying they rarely practiced defense was probably mostly true.

I'm following ya, but I keep thinking about A Francis saying he didn't see any issues with defense during the one game he coached. I think the report of a former player saying they rarely practiced defense was probably mostly true.

it IS true - those others teams didn't need to practice it, they were more offensively challenged. These teams obviously need to make it their primary focus and that became quite evident in 17-18

yeah thats ridiculous.

My guess is the "truth" of Iowa's defense is probably somewhere in the middle. Not terrible, but not good. I have no idea, but its gotta be very hard to recruit players based on their defense and my guess is a lot of it is luck. You look at Cook's athleticism and assume he'd block some shots and grab a ton of rebounds. NOPE

Here's a name from left field.

Greg Heiar.

Dubuque Wahlert grad, coaching experience on the staffs at Wichita State and LSU. Got more than he bargained for when the scandal broke out at LSU and he was in the main chair for part of the Sweet Sixteen run.

Whether he would want to be closer to home is unknown. A more important thing to consider is that he's probably about ready for a head coaching job. He's 42 or 43. He may not want a lateral move.

Here's a name from left field.

Greg Heiar.

Dubuque Wahlert grad, coaching experience on the staffs at Wichita State and LSU. Got more than he bargained for when the scandal broke out at LSU and he was in the main chair for part of the Sweet Sixteen run.

Whether he would want to be closer to home is unknown. A more important thing to consider is that he's probably about ready for a head coaching job. He's 42 or 43. He may not want a lateral move.

Pass

yeah thats ridiculous.

My guess is the "truth" of Iowa's defense is probably somewhere in the middle. Not terrible, but not good. I have no idea, but its gotta be very hard to recruit players based on their defense and my guess is a lot of it is luck. You look at Cook's athleticism and assume he'd block some shots and grab a ton of rebounds. NOPE

I like Cook and he was a good Hawkeye, but someone with his athleticism should have been grabbing double digit boards and blocking a lot of shots.

Fran has a chance to make a big splash, let's hope he finds someone to challenge him and the team on some of their deficiencies, an able recruiter would be nice too, let's hope he doesn't look for a "yes man" like some Iowa coaches.

I'm hoping this was not taken off of a premium board on TOS.

I've heard Taylor's name. I also think current video coordinator Courtney Eldridge could be a possibility.
Nope. It was a general free article that I stumbled upon. Seemed logical, so I shared it.