The Next Hawkeye Assistant Coach Will Be...

Hey Coach, I'm available. Just learned the difference between man and zone!

You know, you say this but .... At my first coaching job an assistant coach spent 15 minutes telling players the difference between a screen and roll .... and ... a pick and roll.

You know, you say this but .... At my first coaching job an assistant coach spent 15 minutes telling players the difference between a screen and roll .... and ... a pick and roll.

Was this after they finished telling the players the difference between the men's hoop height and the women's hoop height?

Hopefully an interview with Andre Woolridge could happen. Wasn't there a story on him opening a basketball academy in CA a few years ago?

If the Nuggets get beat by the Spurs the coaching staff might be looking for a job, much like what happened when he became Fran;'s video coordinator when Fran first came to IC.

If I were Ryan I don't know how interested I'd be but he does have the credentials.

Most NBA coaches don't like the recruiting grind. That's wh I was a bit surprised that Hoiberg went to Nebraska. Although there's also Pick Pitino, I don't think he did much of the recruiting.

Last edited:
How about Chris Calloway? He’s a Duke assistant and is from St.Louis. You could give him the St.Louis area and being a Duke assistant would carry a little weight. He is still a fairly young black coach who could easily relate to younger kids. The move would also bring him back to the Midwest where he still has family ties.

Maybe FryIowa can be an assistant coach. I think he won't last one hour after getting fired for bashing all disabled Iowa Fans. I'm getting my popcorn ready.
giphy.gif

Kind of surprised by the lack of urgency in naming a replacement coach. Another minority coach is important but not necessarily a lock. I'm hoping for a young go-getter on the recruiting trail with a solid defensive background. Is that too much to ask???:)

Kind of surprised by the lack of urgency in naming a replacement coach. Another minority coach is important but not necessarily a lock. I'm hoping for a young go-getter on the recruiting trail with a solid defensive background. Is that too much to ask???:)
I agree. I really hope they don't promote from within. I think a fresh perspective from outside the program would be a great addition. To me having a guard minded coach could help with recruiting and developing good guards which hasn't really happened a whole lot under Fran.

FWIW, Matt Gatens was at the Iowa baseball game on Sunday. His parents still live in Iowa City, so it might just be they were in town visiting for Easter. I saw Margaret talking with the family and Fran was at the game as well.

I could see Eldridge being promoted into Francis' spot and MG taking over as video coordinator.

FWIW, Matt Gatens was at the Iowa baseball game on Sunday. His parents still live in Iowa City, so it might just be they were in town visiting for Easter. I saw Margaret talking with the family and Fran was at the game as well.

I could see Eldridge being promoted into Francis' spot and MG taking over as video coordinator.

That's definitely a possibility. It wouldn't be the flashy hire some fans want but it makes sense. You promote a guy that's been around the program for a few years and is probably ready for the next step in his career. Then you also bring back a former hawk that played under Fran and is starting to get his feet wet coaching at the collegiate level.

While I like Gatens, he would not upgrade the staff in my opinion.

As a video coordinator? That's not an on-court coaching position or one that goes out on the road to recruit. It's the same position Ryan Bowen held before leaving for the Nuggets. It's a perfect spot for a former Hawkeye working his way up the coaching ladder.

But promoting the current video coordinator does not upgrade the open position if you ask me.