The Murray twins’ development?

If Fran was willing to commit 2 scholarships to them in the first place then he will not mind the extra year of development.

I don't see where these 2 will get the minutes next year in order to justify NOT red shirting. Maybe I'm wrong, perhaps Fran will treat these 2 like Riley Till and keep them on the bench using them when needed or the situation allows.
I agree that they won’t get many minutes, in fact I said that in my post.

There is no rule that if you aren’t part of the regular rotation you have to redshirt. There are 13 scholarship players on a college basketball team, typically you’ll have a few that don’t get minutes every night. Each case is unique. In this case they already have had a post grad year, maybe they and or Fran feel the redshirt isn’t the best move, even if they aren’t going to get many minutes. Can always save the redshirt for potential injury or transfer etc.

Again I’m not against them redshirting, just providing some of the reasons why they may not redshirt.

Maybe I'm wrong, perhaps Fran will treat these 2 like Riley Till and keep them on the bench using them when needed or the situation allows.

That is exactly what he's going to do. He had 2 open scholarships and they were the best available. Therefore, he took them because it's dumb to bank scholarships, hence why Till is on one.

That is exactly what he's going to do. He had 2 open scholarships and they were the best available. Therefore, he took them because it's dumb to bank scholarships, hence why Till is on one.

I can see doing that with 1 scholarship, but TWO? So basically Fran just recruited 2 glorified walkon's?

Better than walk-ons. Think of them as Nicholas Baers but with more proven shooting ability and pedigrees.

IIRC, didn't Baer use a redshirt even without a scholarship?

I don't think them not redshirting is as sure of a thing as you think. Fran seen something in these twins to dedicate 2 scholarships to them, if he thinks they will benefit from redshirts I think he will use them.

If they're really good, play them. If they are kinda good, red shirt them. If they suck, don't play them or red shirt them.

If they're really good, play them. If they are kinda good, red shirt them. If they suck, don't play them or red shirt them.
Assuming all eligible players return...I can’t imagine a scenario where the 5 current starters aren’t playing significant minutes. They are good. They are tough...mentally and physically. And they are smart. There’s no way Jordan doesn’t play significant minutes. That’s 6. After those 6 it’s a battle for the last 2 to 3 spots in the rotation. It could be the RS guys. It could be the freshmen.

Random thoughts...

Practices will be tougher than some games.

Don’t discount Pemsl as a 5th year senior with tons of experience. JT has more talent than Evelyn IMO. But we often function better with Evelyn in the game.

Finally...If everyone returns and we are as good as we should be Fran has to go All In IMO. He will lose a ton the following year. Anyone that can help us make a run at the championship or an NCAA run has to play as needed IMO.

Side Note - CJ, JT and Connor can handle the ball, defend, make free throws and provide leadership. We may be better than expected in 2 years. See 2019-2020 season.

Assuming all eligible players return...I can’t imagine a scenario where the 5 current starters aren’t playing significant minutes. They are good. They are tough...mentally and physically. And they are smart. There’s no way Jordan doesn’t play significant minutes. That’s 6. After those 6 it’s a battle for the last 2 to 3 spots in the rotation. It could be the RS guys. It could be the freshmen.

Random thoughts...

Don’t discount Pemsl as a 5th year senior with tons of experience. JT has more talent than Evelyn IMO. But we often function better with Evelyn in the game.

Finally...If everyone returns and we are as good as we should be Fran has to go All In IMO. He will lose a ton the following year. Anyone that can help us make a run at the championship or an NCAA run has to play as needed IMO.

Side Note - CJ, JT and Connor can handle the ball, defend, make free throws and provide leadership. We may be better than expected in 2 years. See 2019-2020 season.

If Wieskamp stays 4 years and Nunge gets healthy, those two plus Connor, CJ, and Joe T is a pretty good start. Fran would have to whiff on all 5 recruits and not be able to sign a couple impact players next year to not keep the ball rolling. If players leave early, it will be same old Iowa where we are a bubble team for the next few years. If no one does, we might be in for the best 3 year stretch in a long time.

Random thoughts...

Evelyn is a moot point, as he is done after this season, eligibility-wise

If Wieskamp stays 4 years and Nunge gets healthy, those two plus Connor, CJ, and Joe T is a pretty good start. Fran would have to whiff on all 5 recruits and not be able to sign a couple impact players next year to not keep the ball rolling. If players leave early, it will be same old Iowa where we are a bubble team for the next few years. If no one does, we might be in for the best 3 year stretch in a long time.
Based on the interviews I heard from Wieskamp about the NBA and the draft process, I’d be absolutely shocked if he was a four year player at Iowa. I think there is a much better chance this is his last year than he stays for four.

Random thoughts...

If we return everyone next year, and that’s a big if, it’s definitely our year, however I think we will still have a pretty good squad the following year (assuming Wieskamp gone).

Toussaint / Ulis
Fredrick / Perkins
McCaffery / Murray
McCaffery / Murray
Nunge / Ogundele

And that’s not even counting new 2021 recruits or potential transfers.

Hey, he doesn't shoot from his chest. That's a good thing, right?

Waiting for Hawk Gold to respond.

giphy.gif

These two are looking better and better every game update we see.... Wonder what they'd be ranked as if how they look now would have been scouted at this time last yr.

Having that clutch gene to hit a shot like that sure doesn't hurt anything either.

If we return everyone next year, and that’s a big if, it’s definitely our year, however I think we will still have a pretty good squad the following year (assuming Wieskamp gone).

Toussaint / Ulis
Fredrick / Perkins
McCaffery / Murray
McCaffery / Murray
Nunge / Ogundele

And that’s not even counting new 2021 recruits or potential transfers.

Garza??

Reading helps. The part where it says “the following year” ie 2021-2022 season.

Basically I was responding to someone who was saying after next year (2020-2021) we would take a big step back. While we would likely take a step back (2021-2022) I think there will be plenty there to have a good season, even after losing Garza, Wieskamp, and Jbo.

Last edited:
Would kinda like to see Fran turn our off season training over to Frank Garza. Look what he was able to do with Luka. How much more improvement can Luka achieve by next season? Could be scary good! Now just think what Frank Garza could do for Nunge, Pemsl, and Ogundele. I also wonder how good Luka’s cousin Denis Alibegovic is, and is Fran looking at him too? Not as tall as Luka but looks like he’s at least 6’6” or 6’7” tall.

Latest posts