The Murray twins’ development?

Maybe in 4-5 years. We are gonna have to be patient with these 2, I'll be shocked if both are not red-shirted.
The question is do you redshirt guys that already spent an extra year in prep school? Remember these guys are Pat McCaffery’s class technically. They’d be like 24 year old seniors. The question is do you commit 5 years of scholarships to two guys? If they don’t pan out that’s a lot.

I don’t expect either to get much run next year, but that doesn’t mean they have to redshirt really either. I’m not opposed to it just pointing it out.

The question is do you redshirt guys that already spent an extra year in prep school? Remember these guys are Pat McCaffery’s class technically. They’d be like 24 year old seniors. The question is do you commit 5 years of scholarships to two guys? If they don’t pan out that’s a lot.

I don’t expect either to get much run next year, but that doesn’t mean they have to redshirt really either. I’m not opposed to it just pointing it out.

I highly doubt they will redshirt. The purpose of their prep schooling was to reclassify and develop another year so they could get the offers that didn't come while they were in high school. They got the offers and hopefully they are developing. Unless they're being run too hard to put on muscle, I just can't see a 20 year old kid wanting to be a 21 year old redshirt freshman (Mormons notwithstanding).

I highly doubt they will redshirt. The purpose of their prep schooling was to reclassify and develop another year so they could get the offers that didn't come while they were in high school. They got the offers and hopefully they are developing. Unless they're being run too hard to put on muscle, I just can't see a 20 year old kid wanting to be a 21 year old redshirt freshman (Mormons notwithstanding).

For fun let's take age out of the equation. Will they see enough minutes next year to vouch for not redshirting? I mean technically at this point Kriener is the only certain departure from next year's roster. See below, currently 9-10 scholarship players are currently slated to return next season. Then throw in the other 3 incoming frosh and minutes will be hard to come by.

Returning Current Starters:

Joe T
CJF
Joe W
Connor
Luka
Returning Current Bench:

Pemsl - until I hear otherwise, he could be back
Till - probably not on scholarship next year but didn't want to slight him
Returning Currently Out for Health Reasons

JBo
Nunge
Pat​

Other Incoming Frosh:

Ulis
Perkins
Ogundele​

For fun let's take age out of the equation. Will they see enough minutes next year to vouch for not redshirting? I mean technically at this point Kriener is the only certain departure from next year's roster. See below, currently 9-10 scholarship players are currently slated to return next season. Then throw in the other 3 incoming frosh and minutes will be hard to come by.

Joe T
CJF
Joe W
Connor
Luka
Returning Current Bench:

JBo
Nunge
Pat​

Other Incoming Frosh:

Ulis
Perkins
Ogundele​
Bakari Evelyn

Joe T
CJF
Joe W
Connor
Luka
Returning Current Bench:

JBo
Nunge
Pat​

Other Incoming Frosh:

Ulis
Perkins
Ogundele​

They will have to be better than or at least not a significant drop off from Nunge and Pat to see minutes next year. I love Pemsl and hope he can figure things out to have a strong senior season, but idk if he will. So for me that puts the rotation something like this:

JBo/JoeT/Ulis
CJF/JBo/Perkins
JoeW/Connor/KrMurray
Nunge/Pat/KeMurray
Garza/Ogundele/Pemsl

Players in bold are going to soak up 25-35 minutes while everyone else fights for scraps in the <10 minute range. Core rotation is really only 8 guys then with every newcomer a redshirt candidate. Worth noting that the best opportunities for next year are at PF with no one truly established, so if we see significant minutes from a Murray, my bet is at that spot (which probably means Keegan).

Last edited:
They will have to be better than or at least not a significant drop off from Nunge and Pat to see minutes next year. I love Pemsl and hope he can figure things out to have a strong senior season, but idk if he will. So for me that puts the rotation something like this:

JBo/JoeT/Ulis
CJF/JBo/Perkins
JoeW/Connor/KrMurray
Nunge/Pat/KeMurray
Garza/Ogundele/Pemsl

Players in bold are going to soak up 25-35 minutes while everyone else fights for scraps in the <10 minute range. Core rotation is really only 8 guys then with every newcomer a redshirt candidate. Worth noting that the best opportunities for next year are at PF with no one truly established, so if we see significant minutes from a Murray, my bet is at that spot (which probably means Keegan).

There are 200 minutes in regulation per game.

You put 8 guys in bold. Give them all 25 per game to be conservative per your estimate (25-35) and that's exactly 200. There are no minutes for anyone else...

JBo/JoeT/Ulis
CJF/JBo/Perkins
JoeW/Connor/KrMurray
Nunge/Pat/KeMurray
Garza/Ogundele/Pemsl

Assuming everyone returns, I hope Nunge spends the majority his minutes at the 5 spot (which wouldn’t be a ton with Garza). I like the smaller look.

There are 200 minutes in regulation per game.

You put 8 guys in bold. Give them all 25 per game to be conservative per your estimate (25-35) and that's exactly 200. There are no minutes for anyone else...

Good point. Redshirts. Redshirts everywhere.

But realistically, probably less than 25 minutes for Nunge, Pat, and JoeT. Would you give anyone else less than 25, especially knowing the alternative is a freshman? Maybe Connor if one of the new guards is too good to keep off the floor?

It’s kind of hard because chances are we don’t return everyone. Here’s my quick off the cuff minutes breakdown:

Garza - 30
Wieskamp - 30
Fredrick - 28
Jbo - 28
C McCaffery - 22
Toussaint - 22
P McCaffery - 18
Nunge - 12
Ulis or Perkins - 10

So ya that’s only 10 minutes total for the 5 incoming freshman (not counting Pat and not counting Pemsl).

Last edited:
Good point. Redshirts. Redshirts everywhere.

But realistically, probably less than 25 minutes for Nunge, Pat, and JoeT. Would you give anyone else less than 25, especially knowing the alternative is a freshman? Maybe Connor if one of the new guards is too good to keep off the floor?

It's tough to know at this point how good the incoming frosh will actually be but unless they are clearly better options than the returning players, I don't see why Fran would allow them to burn a redshirt for mop up duty. That is of course unless they insist on playing a total of 91 minutes on the year like Maishe did.

The below sums it up pretty well. If they can contribute they will play.

Out of the below, who knows exactly what the roster will look like, there could be some subtraction from the listt.

They will compoete with Joe W and Connor that's for sure although connor is really a guard and not a forward. If they can score more than him the better for them. I don't really see them competing with Nunge, at 6'11" and with Garza leaving in a year they will need him inside along with Ogundele. At this point we don't even know if Patrick will even play basketball again. So backing up Joe W, Connor, Patrick, Pemsl will be their niche, that doesn't seem all that crowded.

JBo/JoeT/Ulis
CJF/JBo/Perkins
JoeW/Connor/KrMurray
Nunge/Pat/KeMurray
Garza/Ogundele/Pemsl

If Fran was willing to commit 2 scholarships to them in the first place then he will not mind the extra year of development.

I don't see where these 2 will get the minutes next year in order to justify NOT red shirting. Maybe I'm wrong, perhaps Fran will treat these 2 like Riley Till and keep them on the bench using them when needed or the situation allows.

Why not? It's an extra year of free college education.

Latest posts