The Murray twins’ development?

Reading helps. The part where it says “the following year” ie 2021-2022 season.

Basically I was responding to someone who was saying after next year (2020-2021) we would take a big step back. While we would likely take a step back (2021-2022) I think there will be plenty there to have a good season, even after losing Garza, Wieskamp, and Jbo.

Got it. My bad. And it may also be my hope that Garza stays another year.

Would kinda like to see Fran turn our off season training over to Frank Garza. Look what he was able to do with Luka. How much more improvement can Luka achieve by next season? Could be scary good! Now just think what Frank Garza could do for Nunge, Pemsl, and Ogundele. I also wonder how good Luka’s cousin Denis Alibegovic is, and is Fran looking at him too? Not as tall as Luka but looks like he’s at least 6’6” or 6’7” tall.
I would guess his improvement has more to do with his hard work than it has to do with his dad training him. If everyone had his work ethic, it wouldn't be special for him to have it.

We're gonna win the B1G within the next 4 years. Ok, 5.

At this point on the year... Does anyone feel that JW shown enough to make the NBA jump? Unless something really changes this year, it feels like he's still a year out before he makes the jump. Maybe I'm just influenced in hoping that he sticks around for one more year....

At this point on the year... Does anyone feel that JW shown enough to make the NBA jump? Unless something really changes this year, it feels like he's still a year out before he makes the jump. Maybe I'm just influenced in hoping that he sticks around for one more year....
He still hasn’t shown he can create a ton off the dribble or set up others.

The thing is though he might not ever really do those things. In the NBA he projects as a 3 and D guy, I don’t think he’d have the ball in his hands much.

As far as when is the right time to leave, I don't think he’s ready just yet but I won’t be surprised if he goes.

JW will play overseas after he spends a little bit of time in the G league. He's basically a slightly slower version of Peter Jok, so if he can't make it, I highly doubt Joe will.

I don’t think he’s close to ready and will get that feedback from NBA personnel. I will be shocked if he leaves this year. But a big push in the postseason puts a lot of guys on the NBA radar.

JW will play overseas after he spends a little bit of time in the G league. He's basically a slightly slower version of Peter Jok, so if he can't make it, I highly doubt Joe will.
I agree that Joe isn't ready and may never be NBA material. His game is quite different than Jok though. Peter was a pure shooter. Joe slashes as well as anyone we've had in years. Peter was a better rebounder, Joe plays harder defense.
He's long enough though that if his distance shooting really comes around he could definitely make it in a year or two.

I agree that Joe isn't ready and may never be NBA material. His game is quite different than Jok though. Peter was a pure shooter. Joe slashes as well as anyone we've had in years. Peter was a better rebounder, Joe plays harder defense.
He's long enough though that if his distance shooting really comes around he could definitely make it in a year or two.
Jok was a pretty good rebounder, but I wouldn't say he was better than Wieskamp. Probably pretty similar.

I've been touting Wieskamp since he was a sophomore in high school. He's one of the best recruits we've had in years, and has one of the best pure shots we've seen at Iowa.

That said, I think he'll have a tough time making an NBA roster. My guess is he'll be one of those hundreds of guys that is close but not quite there.

What's going to hurt him in the eyes of NBA scouts is that he lacks "twitchiness" and has less than ideal lateral movement skills. As a result, he's a limited on-ball defender and would struggle staying in front of NBA perimeter players.

Again, not that he's very far away; it's just that the NBA right now is absolutely stacked with elite-level athletes, especially for players in that 6'5" area that are going to play at the wing position.

Jok was a pretty good rebounder, but I wouldn't say he was better than Wieskamp. Probably pretty similar.

Stats say Joe has been a better rebounder. Jok had a career 7.8 TRB% positing a 9.6 TRB% his senior year. Joe has a career 10.3 TRB% posting a 10.2 TRB% last year and currently has a 10.4 TRB% this year.

In other words, Joe and senior Jok have been pretty similar with Joe rebounding slightly better up to this point.

Jok had a pretty stroke with a much quicker release and could get his shot off with just a sliver of space. His step back he developed and displayed his senior year was nearly unguardable at the college level.
Agree with quicker & in space.

Sophomore Year - 3% & FG% & FT%

Jok - 34.3 & 35.8 & 90.2
Wieskamp - 38.6 & 44.4 & 85.3

I think Wieskamp is similar to Jok's junior and senior year as far as making shots goes, but Jok was better at getting his jump shot off. Wieskamp is quite a bit better at getting to the hoop.

There was also talk of Jok leaving after his junior year. I think a player of his caliber (boarderline NBA) should pretty much base his decision to come back on whether he likes college or not. Nothing else really makes much of a difference. Take Cook for example. Him coming back the following year wouldn't have helped or hurt his pro chances. He simply traded one year of college for one year of making pretty good money.

I think this next off season will be critical for him taking the next step. Much like Garza if he can improve substantially accordingly, then I can see where he fits in the NBA. IMO he needs to demonstrate a consistent “take over” the game when the situation dictates. That to me seems to be the ‘it’ factor for most NBA prospects or what separates good college players from solid NBA players. That being said, I love what he brings to the team and hopes he stays until he’s a senior.

I think Wieskamp is similar to Jok's junior and senior year as far as making shots goes, but Jok was better at getting his jump shot off. Wieskamp is quite a bit better at getting to the hoop.
He's better at getting to the hoop, but he gets his shot blocked way too often. His game would be strictly on the perimeter in the league, and he's not quick enough. I guess we should be glad we have him for 2 more years.

Latest posts