The 'It can get real bad at Iowa if they hire the wrong coach' thinking

I think it would be appealing. It pays real good, great facilities and loyal fans. Now, that doesn't mean people line up for it. You have to worker harder and smarter here.

Then how the heck does Snyder do it at Kansas State at nearly 80 years old with less?

I have heard that you can get rid of a coach with a case of Natty Lite and a couple of coeds. That's cheaper than twenty mil.

I think you are misreading my post...that has been a popular refrain, and I have used it myself. However, what Iowa is seeing right now in year 14 of an era that on the whole has been successful, you wonder how much worse it can get. It's moot for two years minimum because of Kirk's contract, however.

I didn't misread you. I actually appreciate that you started a thread on this topic, because it allowed me to blow off some steam about the loser mentality displayed by some Hawkeye fans.
If you thought the quoted poast of mine was directed at you, I assure you it wasn't, and I apologize for creating confusion.

Iowa is a good hire away from having a high quality program. Great fanbase known for traveling in droves, outstanding facilities, big dollars from donors, conference, and BTN. No reason to not have a high flying offense at Iowa similar to what they have at KSU or Boise State. The coach before the current one did, there's no reason to assume the next one can't.

THIS. SO MUCH THIS.

I think it would be appealing. It pays real good, great facilities and loyal fans. Now, that doesn't mean people line up for it. You have to worker harder and smarter here.

Have you seen the number of Daisy Duke shorts down there? LMAO! Come on Jon... DAISY DUKES!!!!!!!1

In 2010-2011 Iowa's football program had a profit of nearly 24 million (18th highest of any college sports program in the nation). Roughly 44 million in revenue and 20 million in expenses.

If Iowa paid a coach 8 million per season instead of Kirk's current 4 million, that would knock their profit ranking to 20th.

When you can pay a coach 8 million dollars a year and still be one of the top 20 sports programs (football or basketball) in the country, bad hires shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe a dumb question but is it possible to replace Barta with Kirk? Then get a respectable head coach and bump Brian to OC.

What Barta needs to do is make it uncomfortable for Ferentz to resign.
Doesn't the AD have the power to replace coordinators?

Oh, and anyone who thinks Barry Garta has any power over Kurt is hopped up on goofballs. Kurt serves at the pleasure of Kurt.

and I think that is true...Iowa is a bad hire away from rough sledding.

I laughed when I read this - because this IS rough sleding

This was the point I was brining up in September....so deep into the program 14 years- and to hit such a low dip.

KF has not replaced the attrition - that's on him - he saw it coming way before we recognized it.

Poorly coached players on offense - come on- BC and PITT and Syracuse can produce more offense than Iowa....with no better talent.

The D ? I duno. The O does not help them much.

I think you are misreading my post...that has been a popular refrain, and I have used it myself. However, what Iowa is seeing right now in year 14 of an era that on the whole has been successful, you wonder how much worse it can get. It's moot for two years minimum because of Kirk's contract, however.

Jon, I believe we will be better next year but depending on breaks, and maybe not even then, we may not be much better in the win loss department. Very young team all around. The thing that really is discouraging to me after todays game, and many probably saw it before, but is our lack of speed and size. When Kirk took over we were so slow as a team. Over the years you could see the team speed getting a little faster every year but alas now suddenly it seems like overnight we have lost all the speed. Lets face it we are slow and small as another poster has already noted. I also agree that Wisconsin, Nebby and Other northern big ten teams are recruiting well. Not top notch all the time but much better than we have. If this issue can't be addressed it will be a long long time before Iowa is any good again.

maybe we'll be able to land Philbin after the Dolphins fire him...that should be a couple years away.

Could not agree more, thats like eating at McDonalds every day of your life and one day thinking about going to BK instead but not going to BK because it might give you a heart attack.

Lol, yah and then you order more fries.

Latest posts