The Hawkeyes are Playing in Cancun this Fall

Tournament Date:
U.S. Games: Nov.15-20
Cancun Games: Nov. 20 & 21
Cancun Challenge Officials Announce 2012 Field
42_pool_shot_at_moon_palace.jpg
March 1, 2012

Fort Collins, Colo. -- Tournament officials announced today the eight teams slated to compete in the 2012 Men’s Cancun Challenge played at the all-inclusive Moon Palace Resort in Cancun, Mexico.

The field includes Iowa (Big 10), DePaul (Big East), Western Kentucky (Sun Belt), and Wichita State (Missouri Valley) playing in the Riviera Division. The Mayan Division features Howard (MEAC), Austin Peay State (Ohio Valley), Western Carolina (Southern) and Gardner-Webb (Big South).

“We are excited to announce the 2012 tournament field. It is a group of teams that have a good core of young talent and excellent recruiting classes coming into the programs,” said Tournament Director Brent Amick. “This is a unique event for both teams and fans played in a beautiful setting in Cancun, Mexico. We expect to see another great year of exciting and competitive games.”

The tournament format includes eight games played in the United States (Nov. 15 and 17) where the four teams in the Riviera Division host the four schools in the Mayan Division. All eight teams then travel to Cancun, Mexico for two games (Nov. 20-21) played at the Moon Palace Resort. A champion is crowned in both divisions.

The Cancun Challenge is regarded as one of the most unique preseason men’s college basketball tournaments. Teams stay at the all-inclusive Moon Palace Resort and enjoy all the amenities the resort has to offer. A ballroom is converted into an arena and fans who attend the event get an up-close perspective of their team while enjoying an all-inclusive setting. Previous champions include Vanderbilt (2008), Kentucky (2009), Missouri (2010), and Illinois (2011).

The Cancun Challenge is owned and produced by Fort Collins, Colo.-based Triple Crown Sports, which also organizes women’s college basketball tournaments in Cancun, and the Preseason and Postseason Women’s NIT. Triple Crown is the leader in grassroots sports and manages over 300 youth events across the country in volleyball, girls’ softball, baseball, and basketball. With 28 years of experience in the event business, Triple Crown is nationally-recognized for its must-attend destination tournaments.

Travel Packages
Triple Crown Sports
O: (970) 672-0567
E-mail: melissa@triplecrownsports.com

We should clean house in that tourney. What was the kid's name that we were after who ended up at DePaul? Real athletic guard.

Found it. Macari Brooks. They also have a pretty good forward in Marrero (sp?) coming in next year. How does eveyone think we will match up with DePaul?

Sounds like a fantastic tourney to travel to. Games are actually played at the all-inclusive resort.

We also now know at least 2 of our non-conference home opponents next year.

Last edited:
not so sure about the clean house, but it will be a step up from the Dale Howard Classic,
1st step in upgrading the OOC schedule, when will the OOC schedule be released?

Think it will be disappointing if Iowa doesn't win this tournament. Wichita State is the biggest threat. I see us and them in the championship.

Sounds like a fantastic tourney to travel to. Games are actually played at the all-inclusive resort.

We also now know at least 2 of our non-conference home opponents next year.

who are the 2 home game opponents? i am sure the Drake and UNI games contract expired

not so sure about the clean house, but it will be a step up from the Dale Howard Classic,
1st step in upgrading the OOC schedule, when will the OOC schedule be released?

How is this upgrading the OOC schedule?

I'm not complaining, because I think it is a good tournament for us, but it doesn't really seem like we're scheduling up.

Looking at the WSU roster they lose their top 3 scorers and their 7' to graduation, but they do have 4 players that will be seniors next season and have another 7' on the roster, the rest of the roster will have so and fr, backing up the seniors,, this will be a very interesting matchup early in the season if it happens

How is this upgrading the OOC schedule?

I'm not complaining, because I think it is a good tournament for us, but it doesn't really seem like we're scheduling up.

It's an upgrade because you can go the beach between games. Or during, whatever.

See you there?

WSU will be the returning MVC champion, this is the same conference that UNI, Drake and Creightom are in, Depaul is in the BE, which will get 9 into the dance, Major BB conference, not a lower level conference like the one Cambell played in. besides it is a tourney where schools don't control who they play as they play the winner of the prior game except the 1st game, the ACC/BT challenge is still a good game and like Iowa Clemson may finish with the same record and finish in 5th place in the ACC, who i get the feeling the matchup might just be NCState or Miami as all 3 are in a position to finish 5th-7th with Clemson, which is a big reason, on why i am confused by people claiming Clemson is a bad loss,
to me, how is losing to a team in the middle of the ACC is a bad loss is baffeling, ISU is improving so that will help Iowa, the question now is who will be the last 7 opponents will be, one of the 7 will probably come from the Pac-12
its a start i don't think a schedule of Duke, Kansas, UNC and Syracuse does them any good

Last edited:

Latest posts