The Good News Coming Out of the Beatdown

I went to SB NATION and next to nobody there cares much about the mens BB team. I mostly liked Fran but his tenure needs to end. Carver seems to be one third to half full for most games. That said, when CC leaves, the women will not draw much fan support either.

Is Iowa basketball headed for new dark ages? Is the men's basketball program already in the midst of a new one in the lastest Fran led team?

With all the gloom and doom just cause we got our ass handed to us the last two games..........come on, the majority of us knew this was not going to be a great year. I seem to recall several threads glorifying the recruits this year and next year, and we are seeing positive potential in this years class...........

Sit back, enjoy what the womans team is gonna give us this year, and go with the flow of a learning year for the mens team.........

Is Iowa basketball headed for new dark ages? Is the men's basketball program already in the midst of a new one in the lastest Fran led team?
Not sure maybe give it more time but I would say it’s a 50 50 chance things aren’t going to get better this could be a tough year Fran has a few good players but needs too hit the portal hard next year Patrick should be on bench

I’m still trying to figure out how you come back from a beat down against Purdue and play like a D II school against an instate rival
All I can come up with is they just aren't very good... It's a team of role players. Freeman will eventually be a stud and he's pretty good already but he's not what he will be yet and that's ok dudes a true freshman. Nobody expected him to be Chris Webber.

We have one guy who can handle the ball and dribble drive and that's Bowen. But Fran has a short leash for him and won't play him big mins yet. Most of what he got yesterday was in garbage time.

Yet his own kid PM put up a big fat goose egg in the scoring column with 1 rebound.. 17 mins on the floor and he did as close to nothing as a player could do. That's a problem. If that's all he's going to be doing he sure as hell can't continue to start.

Iowa should look at this yr as a total rebuilding yr and not worry about anyones feelings. The future of this program are Freeman, Harding and Bowen. The older Sandfort will be leaned on heavily next yr and this yr for shots as he's about the only one who can get 3s up in any kind of volume. Beyond that the others are just role guys.

I don't think Dix will ever be much more then he is. I don't see a high ceiling for him but I'll be happy if he proves me wrong.

Dembele is a guy who should probably be redshirting. It's tough to know what his ceiling is. He's far from comfortable out there yet. So may as well play him and let him just work through things. We'll see how tough he is anyway.

Krikke and Perkins just are who they are. Against lessor opponents they can pretty much dominate but against top level guys they really struggle. There's just an obvious line in the sand of what they can and can't do.

Then you look at Iowa St. who brings a coach in and pretty much has 4-5 scholarship players when he arrives a few yrs ago and he gets them competitive and athletic right away and they are where they are now with a young athletic roster. How does that happen?

Then you look at Iowa St. who brings a coach in and pretty much has 4-5 scholarship players when he arrives a few yrs ago and he gets them competitive and athletic right away and they are where they are now with a young athletic roster. How does that happen?
He's a super recruiter!!! Fred #1 when he was there. Dang good coach also.

With all the gloom and doom just cause we got our ass handed to us the last two games..........come on, the majority of us knew this was not going to be a great year. I seem to recall several threads glorifying the recruits this year and next year, and we are seeing positive potential in this years class...........

Sit back, enjoy what the womans team is gonna give us this year, and go with the flow of a learning year for the mens team.........

Might as well enjoy the gradual improvement of the men's team also

Beats watching the news or the Simpsons on a cold Winter night

Better change the title of this thread. Lots of critics, as usual, after a couple of losses. This is basketball with about a hundred games.

All I can come up with is they just aren't very good... It's a team of role players. Freeman will eventually be a stud and he's pretty good already but he's not what he will be yet and that's ok dudes a true freshman. Nobody expected him to be Chris Webber.

We have one guy who can handle the ball and dribble drive and that's Bowen. But Fran has a short leash for him and won't play him big mins yet. Most of what he got yesterday was in garbage time.

Yet his own kid PM put up a big fat goose egg in the scoring column with 1 rebound.. 17 mins on the floor and he did as close to nothing as a player could do. That's a problem. If that's all he's going to be doing he sure as hell can't continue to start.

Iowa should look at this yr as a total rebuilding yr and not worry about anyones feelings. The future of this program are Freeman, Harding and Bowen. The older Sandfort will be leaned on heavily next yr and this yr for shots as he's about the only one who can get 3s up in any kind of volume. Beyond that the others are just role guys.

I don't think Dix will ever be much more then he is. I don't see a high ceiling for him but I'll be happy if he proves me wrong.

Dembele is a guy who should probably be redshirting. It's tough to know what his ceiling is. He's far from comfortable out there yet. So may as well play him and let him just work through things. We'll see how tough he is anyway.

Krikke and Perkins just are who they are. Against lessor opponents they can pretty much dominate but against top level guys they really struggle. There's just an obvious line in the sand of what they can and can't do.

Nice post

I believe that Dix should shoot much more, he has sharpshooter potential, same as Pryce

Freeman did very well last night inside the paint, they blocked that area very well, we need more
of an interior presence to take some pressure off the sharpshooters

:cool:

Nice post

I believe that Dix should shoot much more, he has sharpshooter potential, same as Pryce

Freeman did very well last night inside the paint, they blocked that area very well, we need more
of an interior presence to take some pressure off the sharpshooters

:cool:
I suppose Dix could he can shoot when he's open. But for some reason Fran keeps playing him as a PG. But from what I've seen of him I don't think he is that. He's more of a combo guard who'd be better off the ball catching and shooting. He's not quick/fast/athletic enough for pg from what I've been seeing and it's why he struggles. He's a little bigger version of JBo who had similar issues.

Freeman has been great so far. He's exceeded most folks expectations and if anyone was expecting big things from him then they are way smarter then me. He's still got a ways to go yet but to say he's got a hell of a starters kit to work with is an understatement. He's going to be a hell of a player in a couple yrs

I like a lot of our young guys. Obviously missing a post presence.
On another note Iowa State and their fans sooo concentrated on beating Iowa in everything.

Good news coming out of the beatdown:
* it proved to everyone that Dix should not be playing PG. This game proved he's not a PG against P-5 competition, simply not quick enough to penetrate. He was very good as a combo/shooting guard off the bench last year. He's a bit of a tweener, but brings nothing to the PG position that Iowa needs this season.
* stuff is going on behind the scenes which we don't know about. Everyone knew about Perkins' grandmother's death; but given how quickly Fran exited the Iowa St. postgame presser, I have a feeling something may be going on with PMac again. When asked about Perkins, PMac and Sandfort's contributions, Fran gave a short 15 second answer and then simply got up and left. Not in anger, just slowly left. Often, he's willing to disect games and seems to kind of enjoy doing that, even after losses. But it seemed like something else was going on.
While this doesn't qualify as 'good news', things like this usually pass, which means the team will also probably be able to refocus in the future.
The Michigan game at home looms large for this team's psyche.

Latest posts