The Good News Coming Out of the Beatdown

Is Iowa basketball headed for new dark ages? Is the men's basketball program already in the midst of a new one in the lastest Fran led team?
We lost a lot of experience from last year, including people, that many Iowa fans loved to hate (ahem:Connor)

People who couldn't understand the intangibles Connor could bring don't understand basketball. I can't tell you already how many times I've seen Peyton or Josh have trouble getting their shot off because they didn't get the pass in shooter's position. And nobody could feed a post like Connor.

I'm going to get ramrodded for this and I don't care. I see a bunch of dysfunction out there (from the basketball end) because new and returning players are figuring out new roles. I feared this scenario in the preseason and have the posts to prove it. They may figure it out down the road but right now they are blowing golden opportunities ro rack up Quad 1 wins, the type of which got them in the dance last year when things went south after the late season MSU and Indiana games.

Connor on the other hand? He's with the Indiana Pacers now as a sort of "developmental scout/part time coach. All they're doing is leading the NBA in team scoring by a considerable margin-and just won that inaugural "in season tournament". Haliburton is developing into a legit MVP candidate.

You can bet your bottom dollar Connor has had a thing or two to do with it. He knows offense better than his old man and that's saying something

We lost a lot of experience from last year, including people, that many Iowa fans loved to hate (ahem:Connor)

People who couldn't understand the intangibles Connor could bring don't understand basketball. I can't tell you already how many times I've seen Peyton or Josh have trouble getting their shot off because they didn't get the pass in shooter's position. And nobody could feed a post like Connor.

I'm going to get ramrodded for this and I don't care. I see a bunch of dysfunction out there (from the basketball end) because new and returning players are figuring out new roles. I feared this scenario in the preseason and have the posts to prove it. They may figure it out down the road but right now they are blowing golden opportunities ro rack up Quad 1 wins, the type of which got them in the dance last year when things went south after the late season MSU and Indiana games.

Connor on the other hand? He's with the Indiana Pacers now as a sort of "developmental scout/part time coach. All they're doing is leading the NBA in team scoring by a considerable margin-and just won that inaugural "in season tournament". Haliburton is developing into a legit MVP candidate.

You can bet your bottom dollar Connor has had a thing or two to do with it. He knows offense better than his old man and that's saying something

Or we can relax and see what happens, against a bad Michigan team at home, with 8000 fans in the arena.

Or we can relax and see what happens, against a bad Michigan team at home, with 8000 fans in the arena.
Another opportunity. I did say in the middle paragraph of my post that there's still time to figure it out. But if they have three non con losses and counting they're going to have to really turn it on in B1G play and start stacking some wins. Sunday would be a good place to start (and that was a helluva game last year along with Indiana, Illinois amd MSU-absoulute baller games in CHA.)

Loved watching the psychological warfare Connor and JBo tormented the opponents with
the entire game

Connor especially was in the opponent's heads the entire game

Good news coming out of the beatdown:
* it proved to everyone that Dix should not be playing PG. This game proved he's not a PG against P-5 competition, simply not quick enough to penetrate. He was very good as a combo/shooting guard off the bench last year. He's a bit of a tweener, but brings nothing to the PG position that Iowa needs this season.
* stuff is going on behind the scenes which we don't know about. Everyone knew about Perkins' grandmother's death; but given how quickly Fran exited the Iowa St. postgame presser, I have a feeling something may be going on with PMac again. When asked about Perkins, PMac and Sandfort's contributions, Fran gave a short 15 second answer and then simply got up and left. Not in anger, just slowly left. Often, he's willing to disect games and seems to kind of enjoy doing that, even after losses. But it seemed like something else was going on.
While this doesn't qualify as 'good news', things like this usually pass, which means the team will also probably be able to refocus in the future.
The Michigan game at home looms large for this team's psyche.
Yes we need a good game against Michigan but again we’re going to face an athletic team Which could be trouble. But we will see Iowa needs this game bad if iowa don’t fight & claw too win this game than we’re in trouble.

I have a feeling something may be going on with PMac again. When asked about Perkins, PMac and Sandfort's contributions, Fran gave a short 15 second answer and then simply got up and left. Not in anger, just slowly left.
We have to be careful how to criticize his play. It hasn't been stellar. I think he might be better off not starting.

Here is what I saw at Iowa's last home game from the stands. This was right after the death of Perks' grandma. Note: "Grandma" is often a big deal in the African American culture. When I had to discipline a young black kid at school, the worst thing I could throw at him/her was, "I may have to call your grandma." Panic. Only thing worse was when Wilburn Hollis walked into my office to talk to me about his son's behavior. Let's just say I would not like to be his son, and it was just a minor typical kid problem. BTW, Wilburn is huge.

I say Perk with changes in his demeanor with frequency. No surprise. I saw Pmac come off the floor in tears and hug his dad. I saw Josh come out of the game, shaking his head, pained expression, head down, on the bench, both hands over his face, hiding. Yeah. I would guess something is going on. Could certainly be emotional response to a tragedy that happened to one of their "brothers."

Obviously, you are well tuned into the pressures this young team faces. Good for you.

You are right on the money, eye.

Fnord GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

All, as I read this thread, it confirms that Larry needs to get off this platform, still trying to figure out if you all are amateur psychologist, or trying to cover up that the Iowa Basketball team this year is not athletic, not a good team and 9th in the Big is the ceiling and hopefully the NIT knows where Iowa City is. Don't worry about me, I won't let the door hit me in the ass. Oh, parting shot, Pmac, should not see the floor unless it's clean up time.

Not sure maybe give it more time but I would say it’s a 50 50 chance things aren’t going to get better this could be a tough year Fran has a few good players but needs too hit the portal hard next year Patrick should be on bench
The last few games PM hasn't looked all that engaged, hope this doesn't mean a repeat of last year's anxiety episode, but in all fairness no one looked all that engaged in Ames.

Kick When there up Kick when there down, NIT baby, these Hawks are all airport team, just happens to be the Sioux Falls, SD airport, couldn't resist, bye.