The Good News Coming Out of the Beatdown

With all the gloom and doom just cause we got our ass handed to us the last two games..........come on, the majority of us knew this was not going to be a great year. I seem to recall several threads glorifying the recruits this year and next year, and we are seeing positive potential in this years class...........

Sit back, enjoy what the womans team is gonna give us this year, and go with the flow of a learning year for the mens team.........
You're right that the majority of us knew this was going to be a down year. My thought process was that with no proven go to scorer and the percentage of points we were replacing from last year I thought maybe, just maybe, there'd be some sort of emphasis on defense and getting stops. Nope still the mentality that we can outscore anyone with no visible improvement on the defensive end.

This team has no confidence and you can see it in their body language. Even a NIT bid seems like a long shot at this point
Great way to generate confidence is with stops on the defensive end. A lot easier to play offense when empty possessions are automatic points for the other team.

I don't think we make the NIT this year. It would take some change in trajectory for this to occur. Could be a down year for the winter sports, wrestling is tbd, we are ranked 5th I believe. Crazy low for IA. Women's Bball may have to carry us thru.

I think Fran knew early on this was a rebuilding year. I just didn't see it because I am so accustomed to Iowa being able to recruit....but, the signs have been there since the start. The fact that he had played 2 starting 5's basically the first 3rd of the season was telling and should have tipped us off from the start. He never did that in past. Heck, he hardly gave the 2nd team guys that much rep in the early buy games when we had good teams.... he played the starters, starter minutes in routes over cupcakes. This year, totally different rotation pattern and he's giving freshman as many minutes as he is some of our guys who are seniors. He seems content to play the younger guys regardless of score, outcome, scenario etc.

I have majorly tempered my expectations for Iowa hoops this year. I'd like to see progress as the season goes on and some hope going into next season with some of the pieces we have. IMO, Fran gets a rebuild year here and there after the run he's had, but Iowa needs to get right back up and to the dance next season.

Last edited:
I think Fran new early on this was a rebuilding year. I just didn't see it because I am so accustomed to Iowa being able to recruit....but, the signs have been there since the start. The fact that he had played 2 starting 5's basically the first 3rd of the season was telling and should have tipped us off from the start. He never did that in past. Heck, he hardly gave the 2nd team guys that much rep in the early buy games when we had good teams.... he played the starters, starter minutes in routes over cupcakes. This year, totally different rotation pattern and he's giving freshman as many minutes as he is some of our guys who are seniors. He seems content to play the younger guys regardless of score, outcome, scenario etc.

I have majorly tempered my expectations for Iowa hoops this year. I'd like to see progress as the season goes on and some hope going into next season with some of the pieces we have. IMO, Fran gets a rebuild year here and there after the run he's had, but Iowa needs to get right back up and to the dance next season.
Yeah I hope more fans do the same because this is going to be a bumpy season. It already has been. To have been a good team this yr would've meant TP Sandfort and PM would have to really stand up and play well and all have been up and down. Krike has been the most consistent guy so far and has been better then I'd hoped anyway. But beyond him and Freeman nobody has really performed all that well or consistent.

It's a team full of role players and some of them aren't that good at them yet. We need an alpha dog that they can go to anytime to get a good look and we just don't have a Murray or Garza on the roster. I'm not sure we have a pro on roster at all. Maybe Freeman but it's pretty early yet to say either way for him yet.

Latest posts