The Death of (Pseudo)Journalism, or, why I finally broke up with ESPN

I don't know where some Iowa fans got this complex where everyone is out to get them, but it's becoming extremely annoying.

Agreed. We just capped off what is arguably the best season in Iowa football in 50+ years, and some people refuse to enjoy it, purely for extrensic reasons. It is really annoying.

You want to know why the Orange Bowl didn't get much coverage? It's because it's two days before the national title game.

Good point. Why not gloss over a BCS Bowl game so we can get back to talking about a game that we have already over-exposed. We only have two more days to hype it up.

Also, where in my post did I say or intimate that I think the media has it in for Iowa? My post was about the Big Ten, not a particular university within it.

Keep in mind that the national media doesn't care about Iowa a whole lot but they care about Georgia Tech exponentially less. Playing GT wasn't good for the Hawks in that regard.

If ever there was a time for a 2nd all sports channel now is it! And I would start with showing as much Pac-10, NHL, and MMA as possible.

MMA? Are you freaking serious?

Guys getting paid to do what people get arrested for. Give me a break.

As for the NHL, I can only say one thing: the most boring "sport" ever invented. The only thing good about hockey are the puck bunnies that hang out at the games.

As for the NHL, I can only say one thing: the most boring "sport" ever invented. The only thing good about hockey are the puck bunnies that hang out at the games.

Hockey is boring. What hockey needs is more 6 second plays, then a 40 second break, then another 6 second play. EXCITEMENT!

;)

Dont question the media or you may bring Thunderhawk and all the other lefties on the board to come out and attack you.Let it go and accept it.

Your post makes no sense at all. What does sports have to do with your vision of "lefties"????

It would seem that you're already on the attack, looking for something.

At any rate, I agree with the OP. The Orange Bowl didn't get enough good press. However, it should be noted that Iowa has a total of 3 million people, and the GT fanbase seems pretty small. In the grand scheme of things, and given the fact that our country has 300 million people, perhaps Iowans have a bit of bias about how Iowa should be covered. I don't recall anything from last year's Orange Bowl, for what it's worth.

The OP of course did a ton of research, and I do agree with what he's saying. I do think it's a matter of perspective, though. I also wondered how the OP finds time to do all of this :)

I don't know where to start with you Erik - why are you on this message board?? Don't you have better things to do if you believe this team is "relatively" boring? Have you missed this season? I don't mean to be a downer either...but things don't get much more exciting than this season. As for the other "relatively boring team", before the game everyone in the media was telling us how exciting Paul Johnson's triple option offense was.

The two mediocre conferences comment I'll chalk up to you drinking the kool-aid about the Big Ten. Hate to break it to you, but the Big Ten pretty put that myth to bed this bowl season. 4 wins against sexier, faster top 15 teams probably doesn't matter to you since they occured in "relatively meaningless" bowls and all that really seems to matter is the fraudulent National Championship game.

"Meaningless game"?? I know it wasn't the national championship but it was a matchup between 2 top teams in a BCS bowl - I know you can't cover every bowl but these 2 teams will be contenders for next year and BCS bowls should get at least 25% of the coverage the day after the game.

Yes the National Championship is on Thursday, but we are talking about Wednesday. They have talked about this game for weeks now. It has been broken down every which way and you still have all day Thursday to analyze it. All I ask is that the BCS game that was played the night before gets some recognition on a national sports media outlet.

As for it being a boring game, I grant you that is relative. However, I thought the Florida/Cinci game was completely boring due to the lack of defense. Yet that game was reported on endlessly the next day and not just about the Tebow/Meyer stories. I know the average football fan thinks that the only thing that makes a game exciting is lots of touchdowns but I think that offense is only half of the game. A good defensive stand really gets me pumped up and from that perspective I can tell you that the Orange bowl was not boring.

No crap. Geez Erik, can't you appreciate good defensive football.

Ya, the other night I really was bored watching discliplined, assignment football. Iowa was a machine out there. Everyone had a job & stuck in their lanes or zone. One of the few passes GT attempted was picked-off by Edds. What is impressive that Edd's still stayed within his assignment & was not caught cheating, but, it was an obvious passing down for GT. Still impressive that he stayed focused enough to cover when he didn't get that many pass looks.

Good point. Why not gloss over a BCS Bowl game so we can get back to talking about a game that we have already over-exposed. We only have two more days to hype it up.

Also, where in my post did I say or intimate that I think the media has it in for Iowa? My post was about the Big Ten, not a particular university within it.

I was referring to more than just you, more than just this thread.

And yes a BCS game involving two two-loss teams is going to get overlooked two days before the NC game. The ratings reflect that.

And you may think the NC game has been over-exposed but I'm sure 95% of the country would disagree with you. This is part of the perks for being selected to play in this game.

I was watching the big ten channel last night and they did an over view of all the big ten bowls, and they spent a good chunk of time talking about Iowa and what they may look like next year. Strangely I think it was the second half hour of the Big Ten Basketball show.

Personally, I was initially surprised at the national media cricket chirping, but it in retrospect I think it makes sense, we just aren't that big of a name and neither is GT.

I've been scrambling around trying to pick up the little tidbits that each writer has said. My impression has been two different responses. Majority seem to think that because Iowa had all the extra time to prep for the triple option they were able to dismantle GT's offense. The minority give props to the D and Norm Parker.

From the comments I've seen from the national media I will be pleasantly surprised with a ranking much above 8 in the final poll.

It would be nice to have in one place all the little things each media member has said about Iowa during a season. We would need a wicki and people with free time.

I don't know where to start with you Erik - why are you on this message board?? Don't you have better things to do if you believe this team is "relatively" boring? Have you missed this season? I don't mean to be a downer either...but things don't get much more exciting than this season. As for the other "relatively boring team", before the game everyone in the media was telling us how exciting Paul Johnson's triple option offense was.

The two mediocre conferences comment I'll chalk up to you drinking the kool-aid about the Big Ten. Hate to break it to you, but the Big Ten pretty put that myth to bed this bowl season. 4 wins against sexier, faster top 15 teams probably doesn't matter to you since they occured in "relatively meaningless" bowls and all that really seems to matter is the fraudulent National Championship game.

"Meaningless game"?? I know it wasn't the national championship but it was a matchup between 2 top teams in a BCS bowl - I know you can't cover every bowl but these 2 teams will be contenders for next year and BCS bowls should get at least 25% of the coverage the day after the game.

Yes the National Championship is on Thursday, but we are talking about Wednesday. They have talked about this game for weeks now. It has been broken down every which way and you still have all day Thursday to analyze it. All I ask is that the BCS game that was played the night before gets some recognition on a national sports media outlet.

As for it being a boring game, I grant you that is relative. However, I thought the Florida/Cinci game was completely boring due to the lack of defense. Yet that game was reported on endlessly the next day and not just about the Tebow/Meyer stories. I know the average football fan thinks that the only thing that makes a game exciting is lots of touchdowns but I think that offense is only half of the game. A good defensive stand really gets me pumped up and from that perspective I can tell you that the Orange bowl was not boring.

I was speaking from a national perspective.

I stand by what I said. If you aren't an Iowa fan or a Georgia Tech fan, that game was pretty much entirely meaningless. The Big Ten has not been well though of in the national media, deserved or not. The ACC has an even worse reputation. There's nothing exciting or sexy about either offense, triple option or not.

Not to mention that all the big hitters in the college football media were in Pasadena getting ready for the National Championship game. How dumb would that really have been? "Live from Rose Bowl stadium, here's Kirk Herbstreit, Chris Fowler and Lee Corso to break down the Orange Bowl!!"

Come on, man.. be real. If it was Georgia Tech and Penn State receiving the same coverage you wouldn't have even blinked.

I'll try not to let logic get in the way of my Hawkeye love from now on.

Carry on.

Last edited:
Also.. No, I don't appreciate defensive football.

I also don't like hot dogs, beer, apple pie or breaded tenderloins.

Seriously, guys? I never said I didn't enjoy the game or how our team plays. I'm also not myopic enough to think that because Sportscenter didn't have 40 minutes of Orange Bowl highlights that ESPN is junk.

Some of you guys really really need to get a perspective.

Seriously, guys? I never said I didn't enjoy the game or how our team plays. I'm also not myopic enough to think that because Sportscenter didn't have 40 minutes of Orange Bowl highlights that ESPN is junk.

This is one of the smarter things I have ever read here.

I agree...the problem is that sports and the History Channel are about all I watch and there just aren't many decent alternatives to ESPN for sports and sometimes the History Channel decides to run the history of chocolate so I can't watch that

The History Channel - now rebranded just "History" - has gone down the tubes just like ESPN. Lots of glitz and precious little history. I'm in a historical group that consulted on an episode of last year's "Extreme Trains" series, they used almost none of what we provided, and screwed up what they did use. Pretty much a half-hour of fast cuts and weird angles and the host giving thumbs up while saying "awesome!!!".

Do you feel the same way about boxing as you do the MMA?

Just pointing out three things that are NOT on ESPN right now. ESPN is the only "sports only" station right now. We need a competitor for them.

You can ignore the popularity of MMA all you want but it's not going away. More women watch MMA than they or anyone else ever figured. It's a growing sport.

I knew it would happen. I tried to lead away all the contrarians that feel the need to show how every other fan is too much of homer, too stupid, too disconnected from reality to realize how the rest of the sports world works by declaring in my first sentence that it was a personal rant. If you don't agree either ignore it or tell me in rational language why I'm wrong, but I knew it would come down to a couple of posters showing how much more sophisticated they were because they understand that Iowa is a crappy school in a crappy conference and a tiny state while the rest of the fanbase is certifiable or mentally challeged.

I also knew that by pointing out the extreme lack of coverage of the only major college football story that occured in the previous 24 hours that some internet genius would make the comparison that I obviously demanded around the clock coverage of my favorite team. I made a simple complaint backed up by pretty solid evidence and I got the standard response that I'm "myopic enough to think that because Sportscenter didn't have 40 MINUTES of Orange Bowl highlights that ESPN is junk." (How about 30 minutes total of coverage of a major bowl during the course of the day, is that still too much?)

I knew it and I posted anyway. At least it was cathartic for me. I see that the message boards here will devolve into contrarian ******* matches and contests to determine who the REAL fans are just like the message boards on the other two sites. This is one of the reasons I rarely post on those sites and why I probably won't post much here either.

Actually, you did say it was a relatively boring game between two relatively boring teams. I apologize that I didn't interpret that sentence correctly to understand you to mean you liked the game and the team. I realize now that by saying relatively you can say that although you enjoy them the rest of the country probably didn't, but I wouldn't say I was so off base that I need to get a perspective.

Again, I understand that ESPN is much more interested in pro sports and the SEC because they and their affiliates make money on broadcasting SEC games, but how can a sports news agency cover so little of a major sporting event the morning after it happens on a slow Wednesday?

What major broadcasting company is affiliated with ESPN? That's right, ABC. What major broadcasting company is affiliated with SEC games? That's right, CBS. So how is it you claim the above?

And what's with jumping down Erik's throat? Oh, he gave his objective opinion.

Latest posts