The Curious January Depth Chart

I think jake stays, where else would he go for only one year?

He's going to graduate from the pre-med program in May. Iowa has a great med school, but it's hardly the only great med school out there, and I'm sure he can get a fresh start for a team at one of those other schools, if he chooses to go that route.

This hatred of Andrew Stone is over the top. I've been wanting him to move up the depth chart since the spring game I just like the way that the guy plays. Does anyone have an answer to his eligibility? I thought he was a senior in 2014. I am not sure how that works.

I believe he has one more year of eligibility but will graduate in May so like Rudock he could transfer somewhere else and play in 2015. Word on the street is that he and Braxton Miller are talking about transferring down to Florida State and being immediately eligible. If FSU gets Stone & Miller its just another case of the rich getting richer.

I believe he has one more year of eligibility but will graduate in May so like Rudock he could transfer somewhere else and play in 2015. Word on the street is that he and Braxton Miller are talking about transferring down to Florida State and being immediately eligible. If FSU gets Stone & Miller its just another case of the rich getting richer.

I guess, if you're into drinking lousy beer.

You're right Andrew is a senior academically, played 2 years in junior college but he did not see any action in 2013. Anyways I am pleasantly surprised about this one.

In 16 years, two constants have always held true:

1. Depth charts have meant nothing
2. Assistants have little, to no, say

Until KF leaves, nothing (outside of a couple of 4th down tries) is going to change.
I think #2 is more true now than it was back when we were actually good. KF trusted Norm, and even KOK sometimes seemed to get through. But KF doesn't trust the "new" guys, and he probably never will at this point. This of course is all just pure speculation on my part.

He's going to graduate from the pre-med program in May. Iowa has a great med school, but it's hardly the only great med school out there, and I'm sure he can get a fresh start for a team at one of those other schools, if he chooses to go that route.

A great medical school and a opportunity to play......it can't be that many. Every "free agent" college QB who thinks they have a shot at the NFL will be running to David Cutliffe. So that pretty much eliminates Duke. Des Moines University doesn't have a football team.:)

I will assume he has or will do well on the MCAT(s), interview process and all the other stuff it takes to get into a good med school.

You're right Andrew is a senior academically, played 2 years in junior college but he did not see any action in 2013. Anyways I am pleasantly surprised about this one.

Seriously, pleasantly surprised? Why, with what? Please expand on that as he hasn't played at all unless it is garbage time and even then it wasn't anything special. Not putting him down but he doesn't bring anything to the table to be pleasantly surprised about.

You're wrong, Jon. This is the (bizarre) act of a desperate coach, under pressure from an athletic director desperate to sell season tickets to a disgruntled fan base. Oh, wait, did I use "desperate" twice in one sentence?

Why do you continue to defend Gary Barta? And why are you so willing to scapegoat Sally Mason for the product on the football field?

That's not exactly true, Andrew did get in during the first half of the bowl game. His TD catch against Minnesota was something special too. I thought after that game he had earned more playing time. With another year under his belt he is sure to contribute more. It would not surprise me if he catches 12-16 passes next year.

1. I don't think Rudock will be around in 2015. He knew this chart was coming out, not pleased
2. I think Greg Davis will return. I think he wanted CJB at QB most of year, and Kirk vetoed
3. It's the college coaches convention this weekend
4. I think Kirk may make some announcements next Wednesday that some coaches are moving on
5. I think Kirk realizes this may be a make or break year...and perhaps 'Back against the Wall' Kirk could be quite interesting
6. I really doubt Kirk makes the QB roster move without 'some' pressure from 'somewhere' as an early Jan two deep like this may be unprecedented for him
8. The linebackers are all at different positions

These times call for unprecedented actions. I think that is a good sign.

As I tweeted, laying out a 2 deep sends a signal to everyone on the roster where they stand. They may well have had some up close and personal conversations with other players on the team. I would not be surprised to see a number of players leave the team....that will be in most cases a good thing as it will open up more scholarships.

As Tennessee moved decisively toward youth and talent a number of players left the team...to find a place where they could play. You need to do that to turn things around.

Good players make good coaches.

That's not exactly true, Andrew did get in during the first half of the bowl game. His TD catch against Minnesota was something special too. I thought after that game he had earned more playing time. With another year under his belt he is sure to contribute more. It would not surprise me if he catches 12-16 passes next year.

Really? The only Iowa TD in the 1st half of the bowl game was a rushing TD by Weisman. Stone didn't score in the bowl game. Go check the box score. Plus the TD against Minnesota was in garbage time at the end of a blow out and pretty sure he dropped a pass or two before that TD catch.

All this talk about either Rudock or Beathard leaving, what about Reggie Spearman. That new LB 2 deep can't look very good to him with Bower and Jewell ahead of him in the two LB positions he might fill. Think he finally moves to DE, or does he just leave the program? I think the best course would be finally redshirting him this year and build him into a DE.

These times call for unprecedented actions. I think that is a good sign.

As I tweeted, laying out a 2 deep sends a signal to everyone on the roster where they stand. They may well have had some up close and personal conversations with other players on the team. I would not be surprised to see a number of players leave the team....that will be in most cases a good thing as it will open up more scholarships.

As Tennessee moved decisively toward youth and talent a number of players left the team...to find a place where they could play. You need to do that to turn things around.

Good players make good coaches.

This is what I figured the 2-deeps were about. KF doesn't really care what we think. This is in-house motivational tactics.

How bad has our WR corp gotten that we should be pleasantly surprised with 12-16 catches in a year? I mean good god. Good wideouts have that many in some games.

I think Spearman leaves. He tweeted last summer about regretting his decision to attend Iowa. He's refused to switch to DE & he sucks at linebacker. His only success has been with the raider package. He doesn't seem very team oriented and his in-season drinking spree was troubling. When he did play, he didn't seem to be super intense or focused.

I did not say Andrew scored a TD in the first half, I said he played in the first half. The TD catch was a good one, he caught another catch on that drive, and there was one incomplete pass to him. I am not sure if it was a drop or not I am looking for footage as we speak. Here are his JC highlights. That guy has speed and pretty good hands. I still say he could be a valuable back up next year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUw7w6204Vc

You're wrong, Jon. This is the (bizarre) act of a desperate coach, under pressure from an athletic director desperate to sell season tickets to a disgruntled fan base. Oh, wait, did I use "desperate" twice in one sentence?

Why do you continue to defend Gary Barta? And why are you so willing to scapegoat Sally Mason for the product on the football field?

Why are people up in arms about this depth chart? Would you have preferred nothing at all, leaving open the likelihood that Rudock was still considered the starter in Ferentz' mind? I get that people are ******, they have many reasons to be, but I think this release is a positive development. It tells me QB is Beathard's job to lose next year and that he will now gain the comfort of a lengthy leash for the first time in his career. It also drastically reduces the likelihood of CJB moving on.

And if this was only released to appease an angry fan base, then good. It worked for me. I'll be much more likely to tune in next season knowing that CJB will be the starter.

Latest posts