the completely unofficial "Fran lost this game" thread

a lot of evidence to support this. Leaving Clemmons in the game after he'd turned the ball over about 20 times in a row, letting marble run the point for the last several minutes, not using timeouts properly (could've used one to break up that 19-2 run or whatever it was).

What's concerning is that White was an absolute no-show. I really hope his arm was bothering him because 5 points and zero boards in 27 minutes in the game that decides if you go to the NCAA tourney or not, what more motivation do you need?

refs didn't do Iowa any favors but to blame the game on them is taking the cheap way out.

Posted this today:

Today, 12:24 PM
HawkPrdatr40
user-online.png

HN LegendJoin DateOct 2009LocationOwatonna, MNPosts4,658

[h=2]Re: Tonight's game is the biggest Iowa basketball game of this decade[/h]
My biggest concerns is the lineup moves tonight. Fran has to stay away from problematic lineups that pose matchups and see that and make quick hooks. To often this season we see our best players sit for to long, I really hope that doesn't happen tonight. We need this W..​

Why do you think that Ingram would have done better if it has already been determined that Clemmons is currently a better player, as evidenced by the fact that Clemmons plays and Ingram does not?

why do you think he could have done WORSE? Clemmons played like he was on the take during that run.

So what...at least play someone and have some adversity rather than playing teams that only cover up your weaknesses because they suck so bad. Play tougher teams and get prepared for conference play...maybe they don't pee six conference games down their legs (see: Wisconsin).

So what?

Fran did a great job to get us to a point where our tourney destiny was within our control. I don't think it would have been if we had a tougher OOC schedule.

So what...at least play someone and have some adversity rather than playing teams that only cover up your weaknesses because they suck so bad. Play tougher teams and get prepared for conference play...maybe they don't pee six conference games down their legs (see: Wisconsin).

Or we could have lost those games and come into B10 play at 8-5 and have no real shot at the tournament, it did take a huge comeback just to beat Gardner Webb this year

Exactly the OOC schedule must improve, even if we lost some.. Look at Illinois and Minnesota stone cold locks because of the OOC schedule..

No doubt about it and I do agree it did cost us some games.

Fran knew this team was young and thought building confidence earlier in the season with winning games was more important than learning the hard way.

It worked...this team met or exceeded most or all expectations. 20 wins and .500 in the conference was really all one could ask for coming into this season realistically.

Fran's out of conference scheduling will get stronger as he gets his guys into the program and experienced. Had we played a few other top programs early in the season we would have potentially 17-18 wins and wouldn't be on the bubble anyway.

Fran did the smart thing by bringing his young guys along slowly.

So what?

Fran did a great job to get us to a point where our tourney destiny was within our control. I don't think it would have been if we had a tougher OOC schedule.

Yes they would have...look at a team like Villanova took lumps then won some games and is safely in.

Fran has done a great job...my point is this kind of scheduling leaves you ZERO margin for error in conference play.

Fran knew this team was young and thought building confidence earlier in the season with winning games was more important than learning the hard way.

It worked...this team met or exceeded most or all expectations. 20 wins and .500 in the conference was really all one could ask for coming into this season realistically.

Fran's out of conference scheduling will get stronger as he gets his guys into the program and experienced. Had we played a few other top programs early in the season we would have potentially 17-18 wins and wouldn't be on the bubble anyway.

Fran did the smart thing by bringing his young guys along slowly.

I just disagree...philosophical difference here no biggie.

Yes they would have...look at a team like Villanova took lumps then won some games and is safely in.

Fran has done a great job...my point is this kind of scheduling leaves you ZERO margin for error in conference play.

What the **** are you talking about? We had plenty of room for error, we just needed to win one of the two games against MSU, the road game against Nebraska, the road against Purdue, two games against Indiana, one game against Ohio State, road games against Minnesota or Wisconsin. We had plenty of room for error, we just didn't capitalize on any of it and we still were right on the bubble going into tonight.

Rely
What the **** are you talking about? We had plenty of room for error, we just needed to win one of the two games against MSU, the road game against Nebraska, the road against Purdue, two games against Indiana, one game against Ohio State, road games against Minnesota or Wisconsin. We had plenty of room for error, we just didn't capitalize on any of it and we still were right on the bubble going into tonight.

Why is it that all people talk about is the ooc? Had the schedule been a little bit tougher they wouldn't have needed to win tonight (see: Minnesota).

Yeah there are five conference games they could have won and didn't...to rely on winning 11 conference games is a stretch and it cost.them.

I don't think this is correct at all.

Rely

Why is it that all people talk about is the ooc? Had the schedule been a little bit tougher they wouldn't have needed to win tonight (see: Minnesota).

Yeah there are five conference games they could have won and didn't...to rely on winning 11 conference games is a stretch and it cost.them.

We didn't need to win 11 games, just 10. Probably even 9 if we get one big signature win.

Rely

Why do you assume they would win tougher games at the beginning of the season when they lost those tougher games throughout the B10 season? We wouldn't be getting in with 18 wins even if we had a much better OOC SOS.

I don't think this is correct at all.

So playing some of the worst D1 teams helped Iowa's RPI...and forced them to have to win tonight...you can't take any conference game for granted. If Fran didn't think they were going to be that great why play teams that don't help you get better and don't prepare you for conference play?

Latest posts